Author Topic: 20vt mk2 sleeper project.written off :(  (Read 116025 times)

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
20vt mk2 sleeper project.written off :(
« on: 12 May 2010, 11:21 »
howdy.

trying to do this on a £500 budget, including the cost of the car
due to the death of my track day car and not having driven a gti for nearly 2 years i bought a cheapie off ebay a few weeks ago.

it is taxed and tested till the end of summer but its also a bit ropey (what can you expect for £200 though)

the story is... i bought it from a trainee aircraft technician who has too many cars. he had been using it daily. he bought it with the front end damage and while in his ownership it was broken into and theft was attempted. this damaged the wiring in the ignition and also the steering lock. 

i drove it home and sure enough, the steering does indeed try to lock all the time!

anyway, this is how it looked on collection (apologies for the pictures - better ones will follow)

and this is what it looks like now, £600 later...

the plan...

make it roadworthy, make it look good, make it drive well. all on as small an outlay as possible
i am quite fortunate in that i have a good mate who has a well equipped garage and he is happy for my to tinker in the evenings. he is also on hand to offer advice and direction.

day 1.

suspension

stripped bottom arms and front and rear suspension off the track day car and fitted to the 5 door.

this includes... seam welded bottom arms, full set of polly bushes, eibach anti roll bar, lower strut brace, koni adjustable dampers with eibach 60mm springs. grooved discs were transferred over too.

day 2.

bit of body work.

stripped bonnet, slam pannel and o/s/f/ wing off track car and put on 5 door. this involved the removal of the damaged front bumper. came off easily enough but was a nightmare to refit as it it so out of shape. as the bumper mounts are the front subframe mounts we chopped them off and just bolted the mounts back on. replacement small bumbers are on their way.

day 3. 

steering and starting issues.

my mate lent me his apprentice for the evening so we could sort the starting and steering out.  we realised the steering lock was damaged so he decided the easiest thing to do is swap the columns over. steering wheels off, stalks off, columns out. we could then see 2 things. 1 the ignition wiring on the new car is a mess and 2 the steering lock is definately buggered.

we need both cars to be moveable so everything that comes off the donor car has to be replaced with the bad bits off the 5 door. this meant a good hour refitting the steering columns. (sadly i was helping out on a far easier job so left sean the apprentice to it. bless him)

so it now steers without locking up but the wiring needed sorting. we figured the best thing to do would be cut the plugs off the track car and rewire. i am terrible at anything involving solder so i left it to sean once more. he removed the home made immobiliser and did a sterling job of getting it going. it now starts on the key and also allt he mfa functions seem to work and the dash lights are back on. the cd player and horn work again.

by this time another mate appeared and he was desperate to see it on the porsche wheel so they were next.

the rear brake line and handbrake cables need relocating due to reduced clearances. this is easily sorted by a slight bend to the brake pipe and unclopping the cable and using the lower half of the clip only to resecure it. i then added a thick cable tie for piece of mind.  a bodge? probably but it works.
with the adapters fitted and torqued up the wheels then went on and we dropped the car back on the floor. it looks great but there isnt much clearance on the rear arches. i dont know yet whether to trim/roll the arches and bond the arch extensions on or to fit a pair of front wheels to the rear.  clearance on the fronts seems fine.

last job of the evening was a bit of decal removal. not a big fan of stickers, unlike the previous owner. i did leave one on though..

final grainy picture.

your thoughts, comments and criticisms are most welcome
« Last Edit: 17 November 2014, 12:20 by lewis1641 »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: 5 door mk2. wreck to riches on a budget
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2010, 11:51 »
Looks good, nice to see it saved.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2010, 12:42 »
I remember seeing this when you fist got it... thought the front end was quite novel with those spots and hanging GTI badge.. do you intent to put it back to OEM?.. great work so far by the way.  :cool:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2010, 12:55 »
I remember seeing this when you fist got it... thought the front end was quite novel with those spots and hanging GTI badge.. do you intent to put it back to OEM?.. great work so far by the way.  :cool:

cheers. yes, the plan is to keep the body and interior as original as i can. modify the chassis but keep the car looking like a tidy classic.

i hated the spots but thought the gti badge was kinda cool. i have been driving sh!tters for 10 years now so its time for something nice i think

the only deviation from stock i might do on the body is fit audi rs2 door mirrors and possibly porsche door handles, just to tie in the wheels a bit more.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2010, 15:35 by lewis1641 »

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2010, 13:54 »
:afro: Good work so far dude! It'll be good to see it back it's former glory!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2010, 15:18 »

cheers. yes, the plan is to keep the body and interior as original as i can. modify the chassis but keep the car looking like a tidy classic.

i hated the spots but thought the gti badge was kinda cool. i have been driving sh!tters for 20 years now so its time for something nice i think

the only deviation from stock i might do on the body is fit audi s2 door mirrors and possibly porsche dooe handles, just to tie in the wheels a bit more.
If RAT was your thing it really did get off to good start but your plan is better.... yeah i think a couple of additions to make the wheels feel more at home is a good idea. It doesnt look desperately low but you've got a lot of tuck at the rear already, whats the suspension setup?

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2010, 15:26 »
it is the set up off my track car so was never meant to be overly low. i think it is a -60mm spring kit (eibach) and koni adjustable dampers.

thats the problem with bigger wheels on a mk2 - you get them tucking in the arches nicely but you also get the high sills.

when 15's are fitted it does reduce thegap between the floor and the sill.  i think i am going to paint the sills too to visually lower it a bot too.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2010, 15:49 »
it is the set up off my track car so was never meant to be overly low. i think it is a -60mm spring kit (eibach) and koni adjustable dampers.

thats the problem with bigger wheels on a mk2 - you get them tucking in the arches nicely but you also get the high sills.

when 15's are fitted it does reduce thegap between the floor and the sill.  i think i am going to paint the sills too to visually lower it a bot too.
Ah right, i have the same prob with my car, with the kit ive got on it 15s make it hard to slam the car.  I intend to get coilies for it to see how far i can go... i will probably end up with very wide 14s one day.  You could always see if you can source some simple side skirts?? 

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2010, 16:01 »
true. trying to avoud that really but we'll see. i think painting the sills will make a difference.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2010, 16:23 »
true. trying to avoud that really but we'll see. i think painting the sills will make a difference.
yeah i know you want to keep it looking clean and simple, that pic was a bad example but theough there might be some plain and simple ones somewhere that might help.... are the sills black at the mo.... not covering up any nasties i hope. yeah colour matching them will help.  :smiley: