Author Topic: HOW TO: Fit a Mk5 Rear Wiper to a Mk4  (Read 9219 times)

Offline tomparkes

• Not said much yet
  • OEM+
HOW TO: Fit a Mk5 Rear Wiper to a Mk4
« on: 16 November 2013, 18:51 »
This afternoon I fitted a Mk5 rear wiper assembly to my Mk4, so thought while I was at it I’d take a few photos to make a quick “how to” guide – it’s not exactly the most difficult mod, but it may be helpful for someone :cool:

You can either go the OEM route, and buy original VW parts (about £20 I think):

6Q6 955 707A – Rear Wiper Arm
6Q6 955 425A – Rear Aero Wiper Blade
6Q6 955 435A – Rear Wiper Cover Cap

Or you can get a slightly cheaper aftermarket copy from the Bay for about £13 – make sure you’re buying a full kit and not just the arm and blade (you will need the cap). I went with this one, and it does the job just fine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390485654857?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This is a really simple job and smartens up the rear of the car nicely – it really is as easy as removing the original wiper, then bolting/clipping the new one in it’s place. You may find you need to sand the bottom of the cap down ever so slightly if it doesn’t clip securely into place, but other than that it’s a straight swap.

Tools needed:

13mm Socket Wrench or Spanner
Sandpaper (possibly)

Here are a couple of pictures of the original, ugly Mk4 rear wiper:

First step is to remove the old wiper blade from the arm:

Then you need to unclip the original cap – prize it up from the left hand side, and it should pop away from the rear window. The cap is on a hinge at the base of the wiper arm, so pulls up from left to right:

Then just pull the cap off the wiper arm:

Next, using a 13mm socket wrench or spanner, loosen the nut holding the arm to the fixture:

Remove the nut completely, and with some gentle persuasion the whole arm should come free, leaving the bare fixture:

Fix the new wiper blade to the new wiper arm – it’s a pretty simply sliding clip mechanism which secures the blade to the arm. Now place the new arm loosely onto the fixture:

Line the arm up straight, and using the original nut, tighten it up with the wrench/spanner until secure:

Now, try clipping the cap onto the arm/fixture – if it doesn’t fit securely, you may need to sand the base of the cap down slightly so that it fits properly. Once it’s clipped on, turn on your rear wiper and make sure it doesn’t pop off! Also test your rear washer to make sure the jet isn't obscured by the cap. Once you’re happy it’s clipped on tight and sitting flush, stand back and admire your new Mk5 rear wiper – much better!

This isn’t a very difficult task but just take your time, as some of the parts are a little delicate – the clips on the cap which hold it to the arm could quite easily snap off so if something isn’t fitting, don’t force it! I accept no responsibility if you break something, and don’t blame me if your car isn’t faster after doing this mod :wink:

2004 1.8T AUM | CM Silicone Hoses | Pipercross Panel Filter | Smoothed Stock Airbox | Weitec Ultra GT -40mm Springs & Shocks | Genuine 18" Anni BBS RC's | Anni GTI Front Grill Badge | Sharan Rear Badge | Polo Stubby Aerial | Black Centre Console

My Build Thread

Offline Nino

• I live here
Re: HOW TO: Fit a Mk5 Rear Wiper to a Mk4
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2013, 23:15 »
Nice little guide that mate, however I suspect this will get moved shortly to the correct section.  :cool:
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2013, 23:24 »
I'm intrigued as to what you've blurred out? :grin:

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2013, 09:37 »
id say the reflection of himself or home..
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2013, 10:58 »
Just one thing to add, if you fancy a wiper blade that clears the whole screen you can fit a Touran version :afro:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline tomparkes

• Not said much yet
  • OEM+
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2013, 13:41 »
Nice little guide that mate, however I suspect this will get moved shortly to the correct section.  :cool:

I did wonder if this was the right place actually!

Haha - it's nothing too exciting mate, but I realised that in most of my pictures I had a clear reflection of my front door and house name! Didn't think I should be plastering that all over the Interweb! :wink:

Just one thing to add, if you fancy a wiper blade that clears the whole screen you can fit a Touran version :afro:

Nice one - I had remembered reading that somewhere but didn't want to include it in my guide as I wasn't certain it was correct :smiley:

2004 1.8T AUM | CM Silicone Hoses | Pipercross Panel Filter | Smoothed Stock Airbox | Weitec Ultra GT -40mm Springs & Shocks | Genuine 18" Anni BBS RC's | Anni GTI Front Grill Badge | Sharan Rear Badge | Polo Stubby Aerial | Black Centre Console

My Build Thread

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2013, 17:14 »

Haha - it's nothing too exciting mate, but I realised that in most of my pictures I had a clear reflection of my front door and house name! Didn't think I should be plastering that all over the Interweb! :wink:

Yaaaaaay I win  :laugh:
VW Car history
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door

Offline tomparkes

• Not said much yet
  • OEM+
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2013, 13:43 »

Yaaaaaay I win  :laugh:

Sorry pal - no prizes! :grin:

My Build Thread