Author Topic: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?  (Read 11731 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?
« Reply #40 on: 10 January 2019, 18:51 »
What's your thoughts folks?
My thoughts for what they are worth, and things I would consider IIWY...

- I can understand why you want the R, after 5 years in a GTI it'll be a nice change, especially going to the 7.5 with digital dash, upgraded stereo etc. Going to a 7.5 GTI or CS probably won't be that much of a change for you.
- The R interior is pretty boring compared to the GTI
- Your current car is now at a place where depreciation is an absolute minimum, the R will be at the start of journey and will drop like a stone in the next year or so. So if you're buying, only do so if you plan to keep it or have an idea what those figures roughly look like and are comfortable with.
- I think you buying Turmeric Yellow is a big mistake. It will be a residual nightmare and be impossible to shift a few years down the line. There's a reason why VW dropped it as a colour, it wasn't popular and looks like dog turd.
- Whack your car on Tootle, no hassle of a private sale and better offers than the p/x price you will get from a dealer.

HTH  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 10 January 2019, 18:59 »
TBH, i'd wait.

Mk8 isn't far away now, we'll have a good idea of what it's going to look like by the summer.

And it's not as if there'll be no used Mk7.5's around in a few months time if you really don't like the Mk8. Spending the thick end of £20k to go from one Mk7 to another Mk7 is a big step. :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 11 January 2019, 09:16 »
TBH, i'd wait.

Mk8 isn't far away now, we'll have a good idea of what it's going to look like by the summer.

And it's not as if there'll be no used Mk7.5's around in a few months time if you really don't like the Mk8. Spending the thick end of £20k to go from one Mk7 to another Mk7 is a big step. :undecided:

Wait? For 2 years?! That's a long wait for someone who wants to change their car now!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #43 on: 11 January 2019, 09:35 »
I've had mine from for 5 1/2 years from new. 60k

I have no wish to change anytime soon, still the perfect car for me and still makes me smile.
Maybe when the Mk8 comes out I'll think again but in the meantime i am still really enjoying my GTI.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 11 January 2019, 13:49 »
TBH, i'd wait.

Wait? For 2 years?! That's a long wait for someone who wants to change their car now!  :grin:

It's not really two years now is it? It's about 6 months until we see pictures of the Mk8. Then you can make decision about whether to wait for the Mk8 GTi. Which may be in the showroom by Easter next year.

What's another year if your car is already 5 years old, and drives just fine? I could understand the rush to swap, if it was swapping to a different car and it wasn't going out of production in about another 6 months time.
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #45 on: 11 January 2019, 16:11 »
TBH, i'd wait.

It's not really two years now is it? It's about 6 months until we see pictures of the Mk8. Then you can make decision about whether to wait for the Mk8 GTi. Which may be in the showroom by Easter next year.

I know what you're saying but recent articles (Dec '18) suggest later 2020 for the GTI so that's more like 18 months not a year.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 11 January 2019, 16:44 »
TBH, i'd wait.

I know what you're saying but recent articles (Dec '18) suggest later 2020 for the GTI so that's more like 18 months not a year.

Likewise, I see what you're saying. But it's not as if there won't be any used R's around in 6 months time if it turns out the Mk8 isn't worth waiting for. Not to mention possibility of further discounts on new Mk7.5's to fill up last few build slots.

Anyway, i've made my point. And it's not my money so therefore not my call so happy to leave it there.
7.5 GTD

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #47 on: 11 January 2019, 19:06 »
I've decided to stick with the GTi & I'm going to buy it a 5th Birthday present - some new wheels. Suggestions anyone?

I did enjoy driving the R, I liked the feel and handling. However, I very much value the points kmpowell, Guzzle and GolfTi have made here. All echoed by the other half!!! The GTi's depreciation is going to slow down now, whereas the R is going going to drop rapidly. With the Mk8 coming out, it's going to fall even quicker.

One thing I didn't like about the R: The glossy black trim on the steering wheel, reminded me of a Peugeot 205 we rented in Spain a few years ago. Much prefer the trim on the GTi steering wheel.

All in all, the GTi is the best car I have ever owned. And I've owned it for the longest time I've ever had a car. That speaks volumes.

Did ask the dealer about the missing R on the VW configurator. You all probably know this, the R is dropping to 300bhp. I think he said they are waiting for test figures so they've had to remove it from the website.
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 11 January 2019, 19:31 »
Well i'm going to be very boring and suggest sticking with OEM. Something like these;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-VOLKSWAGEN-PRETORIA-18-ALLOY-WHEEL-SET-OF-4-GLOSS-BLACK-/323109657825

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-VOLKSWAGEN-PRETORIA-18-ALLOY-WHEEL-SET-OF-4-STERLING-SILVER/323106273243?hash=item4b3aa277db%3Ag%3ATlkAAOSwd8FamFYe&LH_ItemCondition=3

Or save even more money and get your original wheels refurbed and looking back to their former glory.

That said, I do quite like the Borbet FF1 as far as aftermarket wheels go.
7.5 GTD