Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 29001 times)

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #60 on: 10 December 2018, 19:18 »
Seems like the R is mostly getting a bit of stick here! Well, I'd certainly like drive one at some point as it would be on the list of potential next cars.

Here's a great review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtOZNp6GOxI

There's a M235i mixed in so just watch from 1:15 to 6:20 for road driving. I've watched and loved Chris's reviews since he started and he always has such a technically but interesting way to describe what he's driving.

And for the people who make out that a Mk7 R/GTI is almost un-drivable without a peddle box...

His words - Throttle response is great As he's drive probably ever performance car out there, you'd imagine he would be saying throttle response is like a dead snail or however it's been described on here!!

:smiley:

This review really sold me on the R over getting a Cupra ST
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #61 on: 11 December 2018, 20:32 »
It's a brilliant video for sure.

I've had 2 M135is over the past 6 years, with the LSD. A manual and an auto.

As for the better Golf, buy what you like.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 12 December 2018, 00:23 »
I thought the Cupra was great when out on the test drive - It was the sub8 pack too and it felt quicker than the Golf R once you got the wheels rolling. Only thing that lets them down is the naff interior which is why I went with a Golf over a Leon or Octavia.

Both the Cupra and Octavia vRS are very underrated IMO. Prefer the pre-facelift on the Octy as I do the Golf but having said that the facelift is slowly starting to grow on me with the Golf, still not keen on lights though.

M135i was a beast, loved how it kicked the back end out a little when you floored it, the noise was awesome too. Having said all that I still went with a Golf GTi (wanted one since I was a kid). Plus all beemer drivers are w4nkers anyway  :grin:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #63 on: 12 December 2018, 17:02 »

His words - Throttle response is great As he's drive probably ever performance car out there, you'd imagine he would be saying throttle response is like a dead snail or however it's been described on here!!

:smiley:

Just goes to show nearly every car has the same programmed in dead zone now.
Mr Harris has become aclimatised (heaven forbid for me to accuse him of being completely wrong about something as he walks on water) to the responses or just drives flat out everywhere.
I’m sure Mr DTUK has had a few good holidays off the back of those of us that disagree with the new messiah of cars on that issue  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 12 December 2018, 20:10 »
I'd much rather take the view of Chris Harris than give any money to dtuk!!!!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #65 on: 12 December 2018, 22:15 »
I'd much rather take the view of Chris Harris than give any money to dtuk!!!!!

Buy one second hand. :laugh: In the satisfaction you’ll have deprived Mr DTUK of your hard earned cash, and proved Mr Harris wrong.  Because he is.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #66 on: 12 December 2018, 23:24 »
I'd rather s4it in me own slippers than buy anything dtuk, even second hand  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #67 on: 13 December 2018, 01:19 »
I'd rather s4it in me own slippers than buy anything dtuk, even second hand  :grin:
  Euuwww. Not an image I want in my head!  :grin:

I have the solution - buy a Remus responder, or go straight to the original - DTE pedal box.  :cool:

I agree with Mr Harris in one respect - on the move throttle response is pretty decent.  For me it's mostly that dead zone at low speeds or moving off from a standstill that grates.  And the pedal box does remove this. 

I was thinking about this t'other day - I wonder how much throttle response/sensitivity awareness is determined by one's footwear?  I almost always wear (and obviously drive in) thin soled flats such as Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66s.  But recently I drove in my Merrell bushwalking boots with thick, stiff soles.  I had to turn the pedal box off as the throttle was too sensitive in these.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #68 on: 13 December 2018, 05:59 »
  Euuwww. Not an image I want in my head!  :grin:

I have the solution - buy a Remus responder, or go straight to the original - DTE pedal box.  :cool:

I agree with Mr Harris in one respect - on the move throttle response is pretty decent.  For me it's mostly that dead zone at low speeds or moving off from a standstill that grates.  And the pedal box does remove this. 

I was thinking about this t'other day - I wonder how much throttle response/sensitivity awareness is determined by one's footwear?  I almost always wear (and obviously drive in) thin soled flats such as Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66s.  But recently I drove in my Merrell bushwalking boots with thick, stiff soles.  I had to turn the pedal box off as the throttle was too sensitive in these.

My exact same thoughts with the pedal box supplier. Even Burger Motorsport have got in on the action now with their own version.

There is a noticeable difference wearing different shoes I find.
I often wear midlife crisis canvas pumps which have soles not much thicker than ballet shoes, but have to wear steel toecap boots to work as despite being a desk jockey I need to access a yard full of large trucks to fill my kettle.
There’s a big difference in feel but I still keep the box switched to the same settings and have just learned to move my ankle a few less mm when wearing my Dr Martins.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #69 on: 13 December 2018, 08:36 »
Iirc in Chris Harris video of his 205 rallye v 911R he coments about modern cars throttle responce.
Imo you get use to it, if one car is all you drive and only drive modern stuff you become a custom to it and adapt. But if like me you have a car collection which including older cars its something you really notice moving between cars. The more modern the car the worse it seems to be. I just adapt to it.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2018, 08:39 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.