Author Topic: Fitting LED's - Vanity Lights, Glove Box & Boot  (Read 38504 times)

Offline p9ul

• Not said much yet
Re: Fitting LED's - Vanity Lights, Glove Box & Boot
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2014, 20:41 »
Anyone else had any problems with this mod or have VW recently changed the bulb sizes?

My GTD is a build week 15 and I've just got a replacement 38mm festoon vanity bulb, only it's larger than the bulb I've just removed from the car by about 4mm, and yes, it is a 38mm I have because I've measured it...

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2014, 10:26 »
As a member on a few of different forums, LED's and bulbs always seem to cause massive confusion  :shocked:

Thanks Ross just ordered some of these apart from the vanity mirror one that p9ul has highlighted.

Cheers great info.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline JakeF

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2014, 11:01 »
Hi Paul

Can you take a photo of the two festoon lamps side by side against a ruler? There are 31mm and 36mm festoon lamp sizes too so it may be one of those sizes potentially...

Cheers
Jake
Golf R Estate mk7
Previously Golf GTI mk7

Offline p9ul

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2014, 12:37 »
Right - a little update...

I believe the 39mm bulb I have already was supposed to be a 42mm bulb intended for the boot, and not only is it the wrong size but I don't think it works either as it will fit in between the contacts (but is very loose) but sdoes not illuminate.

I'm still waiting for my twin pack of 39mm bulbs to arrive from ebay, a bit gutting when I know they're gonna be too big even when they do arrive...  :sad:

I've got a pic on my iphone but the image is rubbish - I'll post a better one later (the wife's gone to work in the other car and my SLR is in the glovebox  :rolleyes:)

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2014, 15:31 »
Remember LEDs only work one way round!
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline JakeF

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 26 May 2014, 17:04 »
Ah okay, keep up posted Paul - I've ordered some LED festoons in anticipation for my GTI and am hoping they are the right size...

With the grip on the lamp in the boot, are the contacts adjustable at all just by a mm or two to get the grip to be a bit more snug? And there's the polarity too to think about as Stuart pointed out!
Golf R Estate mk7
Previously Golf GTI mk7

Offline p9ul

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2014, 21:06 »
Ok, tried again and the bulb does work as I did have it the wrong way round  :laugh:

The fitting in the boot does adjust slightly to accommodate the 39mm bulb but I wouldn't say I'm happy with the fit, it's not a tight enough fit to stop the bulb spinning in the holder, a 42mm should solve that though.

I heard a dashboard warning when fitting the bulb and I'm hoping the slightly loose fitting bulb doesn't trigger that on bumpy roads...

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2014, 09:27 »
I was under the impression that non of the internal lights gave a canbus error!
I take it thats not correct then, they do throw out errors?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2014, 10:23 »
I would be very surprised if interior lights were canbus monitored but I've been wrong before... i.e the festoon bulb sizes - apologies for that one guys, do we know if 38mm is the correct size yet?
« Last Edit: 27 May 2014, 10:27 by Ross Detours »

Offline p9ul

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2014, 18:10 »
I only got warning bleeps when inserting the new bulb , once it was positioned correctly there were no issues and hasn't given any errors since.

Seriously considering swapping out the reversing bulbs now - hoping it makes the reversing camera a little more usable at night as I have to be right on top of my fence posts to see them and the sensors bleep even when I'm miles off them... :undecided:

please excuse crappy pic - macro photography is not my strong point...

Top - My replacement 42mm bulb which arrived today with the OEM festoon below

Bottom - 39mm LED to fit the vanity mirror with the actual OEM festoon bulb taken from my BW15 GTD - est. 35-36mm...

edit - while the 39mm will work fine in the boot, the 42mm is a great fit and doesn't spin round in the holder - a lot more confident I'm not going to get any warnings now  :cool:

edit 2 - 39mm bulbs have arrived and they fit the vanity lights spot on - only thing is they measure around 36mm so I'm proper confused now...
« Last Edit: 29 May 2014, 17:39 by p9ul »