Author Topic: grungeisdead - "project muppet another mk1 joins the flock"  (Read 56337 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Last Edit: 17 March 2008, 13:19 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
Re: grungeisdead - mk1 misfortune
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2007, 13:41 »
Wooo!

Reeto, ive finally got the hang on this ****e and im going to make me a blog.

I've got the following jobs to try and get done for inters, will be getting pics up and documenting everything over teh weekend for you all...

Basically my life is a big stupid adventure with so much random *******s going on that this will probably make you laugh, cry or run away screaming... but its all in the name of science...

Bits i'm waiting on in the post
New Hubs
New Wheel Bearings
280mm ATE Discs
Green Stuff Pads
Brand New 16V/G60 Calipers
Caliper Spacer Brackets

Eurosport 7x11" oil cooler with mocal sandwich plate

New Alloy Filler Cap - My old one doesnt sit flush
Rear Disc Conversion From a Mk2 GTI
NOS Alternator

Bits i still need to buy
Rocco 16V Handbrake Cable
280/300mm Steering Wheel
165/50/15 Tyres
S/S Centre Pipe
Opening 1/4 lights
New Radiator
Silicon Coolant/Ancillary Hoses
Chrome Window Wiper Arms
4-Pot Calipers Whenever i can find some.
Splitties or some deep dish 15's

Jobs that need doing
4 Branch Manifold needs fitting - Will be polishing up over the next couple of weeks

Uprated ARB with new polybushes

Rebuild my new engine - thats the main reason of this blog
Rear Braided Hoses need fitting
GTI Arches need fitting
Paint O/S Rear Arch, currently in primer.
Sort Fan Motor (Possibly Seized Fan)
Rewire Alarm/Stereo/Electric Windows & Central Locking.
polish rocker cover

The deal with the engine

I haves me a 1800 GTI Engine i picked up, the following work has been done.

Piper Cam
Vernier Pulley
Ported & Polished Head
New Oil Pump
New Distributer
Bottom End Painted Black.

I will be polishing up the throttle body, inlet manifold and rocker cover.

Also got myself a full set of gaskets, o-rings, seals, bearing shells and loads of other ****ing bits i have no what they are, basically everything to fully rebuild a new motor :-D

Some other jobs i've done over the last couple of months

Fitted a new driveshaft, hub, wheel bearing, EBC x-drilled/grooved discs and greenstuff pads]

painted up the arch spats, duckbill splitter and calipers and bumpers

Oh and the car at the moment -

The arch damage has been repaired, and primered, still got to paint it back to the audi rot pearl
pressed plates arent shown fitted

also fitted a new gearknob, bucket seats, steering wheel, stereo, electric windows, replaced the air, oil, fuel filter, sparks, oil, coolant, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, adjusted trottle and clutch cables, new pedal rubbers, cleaned carpets, fixed loose bonnet catch, new driveshaft

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2007, 13:41 »
well today was a stunning day in the sun, absolutely roasting working on the car.

took apart all the gearshift linkages and cleaned them down with degunk. replaced all the bushes and the two selector rods.

gotta change the gearbox oil in the morning and do the fiddly job of the shift rod adjustment but then yay i'll have a sweet gearchange again. i'm hoping this will sort my crunching in 2nd gear) the clutch is absolutely sweet and doesnt slip so im guessing it may be a worn syncro in 2nd.

hopefully ill get the shift rod adjustment done before 12ish so i can go help dublass check  out her new car.

Gotta order a sony stereo lead because i seem to have lost the ******* thing. Got round to wiring up the speakers and stereo power wiring and stuff only to found i lost it, meh! well i spose another few days of driving without a stereo wont hurt, already managed with on since errr february in both my golfs! they sound sweet enough anyway.

more stuff needs doing but im bored of typing now will get some pics up tomorrow woop

managed to sort the gear selector rod, what a feckin mission, especially when you have hayfever and a sneezing fit and end up headbutting the sump! owwww.

cant seem to find the fill port for the gearbox oil so thats a mission ive given up on. will re-attempt when my brakes come later on in the week and i change them

also twitted my head off the bleed nipple crawling out from under the car so my neighbours heard me shout "****in nipples" about 20 times hahaha

definatly a job for two people is the shift selector rod alignment!

anyway time to grab some lunch and go round me mates, innabit

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2007, 13:42 »
wheeeeeeeee

WHY oh WHY do people always advertise the best stuff stupidly cheap on late late sunday evening...

ive been tempted by a 90amp upgraded alternator for running the sub, also bought myself a new dual voice coil sub to make way for the old dvc sub i blew up.

got myself some carbon door cards with pods fitted hopefully in the next couple of weeks

and my best find yet, hopefully i can go pick these up on saturday, some rather tasty lorber 5 spoke deep dish rims...

been after a set like these for ages...

what do you reckon, black with a polished dish, or fully polished?

wooo new presents...

stereo lead, 280mm brakes and subwoofer have arrived...

stereo is already hooked up now and i have tunage again... first time ive had tunes in a car since i sold the G40 back in february... didnt need it then tho as the G was music to my ears!

the new subwoofer is a 12 inch, so ive got to get a jigsaw blade and enlarge the hole in my 10 inch sub enclosure. once this is done i can mount the sub in the back behind the front seats and the amp in the spare boot well.

the carbon door cards will be here in a month or so, so im on the lookout for some cheap decent components :)

tomorrows plans are to :-

finish work
go to boardmans garage and get a full mk2 rear disc conversion with rear brake bias valve of a mates old valver in the yard.
will try and see if i can rob the servo off it too... then its off to gsf to pick up 2 brake hoses, 16v rocco handy-b cable and a passat 4 port master cylinder...

saturdays job is a bit of a mini mission

remove old hubs
fit new ball joints
fit 280mm brakes
plum braided hoses
drop rear axle
fit rear braided hoses
fit brake bias valve
remove old drums and stub axles
fit new stub axles and disc brakes
fit new rear wheel bearings
fit servo & master cylinder
fill and bleed brakes

go for a test drive, (no heavy brakes for a good 200 miles to let the pads bed in)

sit back and smoke a fat spliff

sunday :-
cut new subwoofer hole in sub box
fit subwoofer
fit enclosure in car
fit amp in car
pull up carpets and wire in.

and that hopefully should be my weekend in a nutshell

i also found a guy that will rebuild my engine for 60 quid so that will save me **** loads of time,

gotta take a trip to brum to go pick up the alloys in the week

oh fitted the strut brace

you can see the new brakes here, but i cant decide on which brace to keep Arghhhh!

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2007, 13:43 »
Right up...

Friday -

Went down to find out about the 16v servo, can get it for 25 quid and a new passat master cylinder from a 87-92 16v model for 35 quid, ill wait till inters for these as im running light off cash...

oil cooler arrived today, its a sexy piece of work if i do say so meself...

the rear disc conversion is on hold until i get the servo and mc done... the extra pressue needed to run bigger pistons means theres alot more pedal travel so i dont wnat to increase that with rear calipers too...

saturday -

meant to wake up at 9, woke up at half 2 hahahaha, all i did today was cut a subwoofer hole to accept the 12 inch sub and fit it in the box... laziness oh also started to polish up the 4 branch manfold, its coming up mint!

went a houseparty later on, took far too many pre-rolled joints and a mahoosive bottle of southern comfort, which i drank nearly all of it and proceeded to go lie outside, chunder **** loads and went and passed out in the car! woke up at half 7 very uncomfy and hungover as ****!

sunday -

despite going to bed at half 7 i woke up at 11 reasonably refreshed.

mounted my amp in the spare boot well and sub behind the drivers seat. wired in the rcas, power, ground and amp remote and some new fuse holders...

need to get a wire brush on my earthing point as its a tad rusty, ive also got to change the sealing around the passenger side taillight as its letting water in...

went over to my mates lockup where i procedeed to take off teh old hubs and 239mm brakes...

fitted the new hubs with 280mm brakes on, plugged in all the braided hoses and bled the brakes...

they look amazing but the pedal travel is enormous (due to the larger piston size and still with the 19mm master cylnder and 8v sevo), ill sort this in the week after inters (or possibly this week if i sell me red golf)

didnt fit new ball joints as i couldnt get hold of the m6 bolts and nuts needed but the two new wheel bearings in the hubs have worked wonders...

managed to get meself a nice radiator slam panel metal cover which im gonna polish up, and 2 plastic covers that sit either side of the drivers window, these are pretty rare i think and once ive blackend them up will look the nuts!

ill take some pics of these tomorrow, oh also sorted my camber and tracking, shes rocking 1 degree either side, a bit much it should be 0.5 but ill wait till i get my new alloys with lower profile tyres...

oh it was ****in scary driving back in the insano rain, aquaplaning like a mother****er all over the place

oh and my f**kin pressed plates keep falling off, i wish we got sent the sticky pads by hte company, both plates fell off in town and i didnt notice till i got till the garage, i had to cruise around town trying to find them, theyve all got scratched and the chrome holders are ****ed!

not impressed but mehhh, also like currie said the yellow and white covers ont he plates come off pretty easy, no wonders yours was messed up in the post...

gotta get some ****ty decent sticky ******* pads tomorrow and hope the plates dont fall off agani, well surprised i didnt get stopped by police and noone flashed or even told me i had no plates on as i was driving around, id be going pure mental if i saw someone rolling with no plates

anyway glad to have big brakes and a sub and stereo again... all in all a productive weekend  :D woop

Driving back from work today, just come off the motorway onto a dual carrigeway about 2 minutes from home when the sound of a bolt twitting some metal happens and an almighty knocking happens, so i pull over calmly into the bus stop without braking as i only doing about 20mph when this happened. Once i got into the bus stop the o/s wheel was seized up to **** and the car just stopped straight away

jacked up the wheel to find to my dismay that one of the caliper extension bracket bolts had either come loose or sheered out of the mounting and my caliper was hanging by only one bolt.

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2007, 13:44 »

it had essentially cheesewedged itself against the brake disc and my alloy wheel :( busting the bleed nipple in the process and scratching up the nice new calipers.

i tried to find the bolt in vain, but i managed to take some pictures, you can see the missing bolt, and the bolt thats holding the bracket to the caliper is also coming losoe.

These bolts were torque wrenched tight when fitted to the car but needed no real tightening as they were proper tight out of the box.

I either suspect that they were hi-tensile bolts used or they werent held in with loctite when originally fitted by the company who sold them to me, surely these bolts shouldn't come loose and disappear completely after only 40 miles of driving.

I'm not impressed in the slightest and the fact that after only 40 miles this has happened, how the hell am i meant to put my faith in these brackets indefinatly, as i had planned on keeping these on the car for as long as she lived. I mean imagine if that had happened round a roundabout or when i was doing an emergency stop.

anyone else had similar problems, or are you still running your 280mm brakes years on with no problems?

I wonder how many people are going to whip their wheels off in the morning and check how tight the bolts are!

yay...

right some updates

brakes - guy is sending me 8 new bolts, a new drivers side caliper and some threadlock (should have done it in the first place) all free of charge. (damn ****ing straight)

carbon door cards should be arriving next week, yaaaay well excited bout them.

got some other bits im picking up this weekend

samco hoses, single wiper mech, brand new uprated engine and gearbox mounts, cant remember what else matt has in store for me :)

ohhh yeh ordered a full gear linkage set from missinglinks...

gonne be **** hot, short shift kit with weighted shift rod, new bearings and bushes made of teflon mmmm, proper heat resitant

also all the rods are adjustable which means i can adjust the shift rod selector gap from the engine bay without having to **** about under the car... trust me this is a VERY good thing

will get some pics when it all arrives...

as for tonight im gonna do some pikey engineering to get my car on the drive, cable tie to hold the bracket to the hub, just so my caliper doesnt rub against the wheel (this is causing it to seize) wanna get it on the drive to do the work on her and currently the car is blocking my next door neighbours drive (even tho i told the twitty recovery **** to drop it outside mine and leave her drive unblocked...

when he came to recover the car too, he went to my house, phones me up and says where are you... im like im not at my ****ing house you ****, thats where im going!!!!!!!!! he got confused by my other red golf with a completely different registration... you pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2007, 13:44 »
got the car brakes all working over the weekend, got two new bolts and a new caliper arrive, not bothered fitting the new caliper at the moment, will leave it for when i do the master cylinder and servo...

not too much of an update this week because ive been at work in london,

got two parcels i need to pick up today not quite sure what they are, heres the list of bits im still waiting on in the post or have to go collect, its getting ****ing huge now!!!

Magnex Full SS System
New Wishbones
New Balljoints
New Sunroof Seal
New Lower Strut Brace
New VAG steering column to rack rubber sleeve
Upgraded Engine/Box Mounts
Single Wiper Conversion
Debadged Grille w/ Mk5 Polo GTI Badge
Polished Fuel Filler Cap that actually flush
Power Rohr
Carbon Door Cards with Speaker Pods
Infiniti 5.25" Components with Tweeters & Crossovers
K&N Cone Filter
MissingLinks Short Shift Kit Complete Bushing & Adjustable linkage set
2 Braided Rear Hoses for Disc Conversion
Tyres - 195/45/15
2 x 100 mm driveshafts - 1 spare 1 for my mars red GTI.

I'm sure there is more but i can't remember!!!

When i get back from Holiday i will be taking a week out, got get AHA 839Y to the mot station and spend the week fixing what she needs, once thats done ill be sticking her up on ebay with a full 12 month ticket and 6 months tax!

During this week, ill send my engine over to my mate to get rebuilt, and when AHA is back on the road, it means i can take OTF to the bodyshop to get the painting done.

anyway this is me done for the next week or so, see you all on the 3rd at NW:VAG meet...

Sunday - Fitted Carbon Door Cards & Speaker Pods, Fitted 5.25" Component Speakers... sounds absolutely amazing.

Need to do a couple more jobs before im happy with it all tho.

remount the door pods a bit more securely
install and wire up the crossovers
surface mount the tweeters onto the door cards.
get some double-sided sticky foam to stop cards rattling slightly

Up and coming jobs this week -

Change Coil
Change alternator to 90Amp Jobbie
Engine Oil Flush & Filter
Smoke Tint rear lights
Fit two new balljoints
Tighten up & loctite d/s bolts and all steering rack column
Fit Full Missinglinks short shift kit
Change Gearbox oil

Hopefully the gb oil should sort out my 2nd gear crunch or i will seriously be considering a new box

Ordered a couple of new things -

Set of wheel arches
new boot seal
new rear bumper clips

update:

today and yesterday i was battling it out in the rain and ive got some bits and pieces done in the quest to fix my 2nd gear crunch and intermittant engine cutting out and the loss of wipers... hmm not much then!

Well,

Fitted a

MissingLinkz Full Short Shift kit, consisting of 2 adjustable metal selector rods, weighted shift rod, new relay shaft bearings, new shift road bearing and reduced the gearthrow by about 30 percent. would be 50 but the short shift adapator is too long :( and was fouling the engine or gearbox, either way it was a no go.

changed the gearbox oil which has ailed that fabled 2nd gear crunch, need to take it on a good drive and let it all warm up to see if im still having any other problems as the syncros might be worn...

changed engine oil, filter and ignition coil, retarded ignition timing by a coupla degrees and she seems alot perkier now :)

my new tyres came yesterday too, so they are going on my lorber deep dish wheels tomorrow, (took them down today but the boss was about at the garage so my mate told me to come back in the morning ;) )

mmm 195/45 eagle f1's

and the wheels

got my tinting spray too so going to do my rears when the rain gives up for a day, put the oem ones back on and im thinking all reds would look good... but then again ive just gone an ordered some mk5 style citigolf lights from south africa, they are the MUTTS NUTTS

also spent a good hour working out what every relay does in my spare parts box and what each relay did on my fusebox, then i noticed that nearly all of them were the wrong relays in there, so switched them all round and im almost set...

got the wipers, fuel pump relay, indicators, brake lights etc working. next mission is to tackle the fan blower and find out why that isnt working!

heres the fusebox before its more here for a reference point

woo productive day i think so wooo

my other engine is also meeting its maker, thanks for jezza in the white passion wagon :D respect, so wont be too long before thats all ready to get dropped in.

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2007, 13:45 »
argh another feckin misssssssion!!!!!!!!

Right well suffered a few set back this weekend :(

N/S wheel bearing stuff it again :-(

New Wheels have had tyres put on them but are catching against the front calipers so require 5mm/10mm spacers.

So...

the car is going into the garage this week to have the following done because i now cant be arsed any more...

New Outer CV Joint
2 x New Tie Rod Arms
2 x New Tie Rod Ends
2 x balljoints
New Polybush Steering Rack Mounts.

All parts are going to be supplied for them so its just a case of getting a couple of quotes on the cost of labour.

Also got a few more parts coming this week for some further jobs

Retrofit AeroBlades
H4 100w Bright White Bulbs
Upgraded Headlight Wiring Loom
Longer Wheel Bolts & 10mm Spacers
300mm Steering Wheel

The legal allowed value for headlights is apparently 55w or NOT to dazzle other drivers, its kinda hazy so im gonna fit 100watters and tint the headlights, this will sufficiently reduce output but with the higher output of the bulb and upgraded wiring loom will still produce sufficiently brighter light than std.

Also the need for decent wiper blades and the fact i now found retro fit aeroblades for super cheap mean im going for them, all i need now is a mk2 wiper motor to dessimate and fit into my mk1 wiper motor casing.

gimme a ****ty day without rain too so i can tint me fooking lights!!!

also even crapper news, the engine i was due to rebuild isnt going to happen now as so many little parts are missing from it its going to uneconomical to rebuild, therefore my best best is to get a 1.8 8v bottom end and stick the head on that... however its just more sensible to put a 16v beasty in there and sell the p+p head and all the other goodies on fleabay

****in cars man one nightmare after another :(

some pics when the wheel bearings broke, you can see the new wheels, i need to mask off the tyres and do a couple of touch ups on the edges of the rims, but apart from that im happy with em, big dish and fresh mea

also managed to tint the rears today when i found a shock horror hour without rain in manchester

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2007, 13:45 »
Quote from: grungeisdead;1816
little update,

fitted the tinted rears today, the drivers side one needs to be a bit darker, light is shining through perfectly on both but will get higher output bulbs anyway.

New H4 Brilliant white bulbs came today, tinted the front headlights, they are higher wattage so should still give sufficient amounts of light despite the tinted lenses.

also picked up from a headlight wiring loom, a simple piece of electronics i could have made myself but im damn lazy! takes a direct feed from the battery for the headlight loom with two relays and fuses and a feed from one of the old headlight sources to turn the relays on. this will allow me to run the higher voltage bulbs without burning out any wires as the older ones are 26 years old and made for very low currents. its a worthwhile upgrade even if your not going to uprate the existing bulbs.

ill be fitting them and the front lights on monday.

fitted me new 300mm wheel, looking tasty :-)

you can see me carbon door cards n components in too yum

also got a new breaker bar, 30mm socket and some loctite, my mate hasnt given me back my old breaker or socket which ****ed me off.

twas raining today so i couldnt be arsed, but monday i shall whip off the hub and change that and drive the car down to a garage for painting and a few loose ends here n there

all that crap was done on friday,

yesterday i stripped the offending hub and found out that y wheel bearing as completely exploded adn managed to descimate the hub too :( so i'll be swapping the hubs over from the other golf tonight hopefully and i can get her on the road.

fitted the front tinted headlights now and they are looking sweet, will look far better when the debadged grille is on, headlight wiring loom is all installed and in place too :-)

car wil hopefully be taking in for painting next week and im now going to try and get someone to swap my 1800gti engine into this and ill drop a new head, cam and pulley onto along with my beasty oil cooler.

oh also put black side trims on the car as they look better than the chromies

will put more pics up tongiht :)

went to awesome summer bash sunday was wicked, car got impounded on the monday tho so I've gotta go save her, while rooting thru my paperwork for the car i found a **** load of car receipts and currently heres what I've done to the car since owning her back in feb...

Leccy Window motors fitted & wired up, switches fitted
new horn relay
new indicator relay
new upgraded battery
filter change - fuel, oil, air
leads / plugs / rotor arm / dizzy cap
new rocker cover
front goodridge braided hoses
239mm EBC x-drilled/grooved discs
greenstuff pads
inner cv joint - ns
bucket seats
stereo / sub / amp / infinit component speakrs
gearbox oil
gear linkage bushes
full short shift missinglinx kit
2 x new front wheel bearings and 2 x new hub assembelies
carbon door cards
polished front strut brace
lorber 15 x 7 deep dish alloys
195/45 Eagle F1s
5mm spacers
New pedal rubbers
100W H4 Bubls
Uprated Headlight wiring loom
wiper relay
300mm wheel
momo gearknob
chrome mirrors
pressed plates
new ignition coil
new sparks
new magnecor performance HT leads
280mm ATE Grooved discs
Greenstuff pads
Refurbed VWII calipers
Tinted Headlights
Tinted Taillights
Replaced rear taillight seals
replaced rear boot seal
new rear arb and poly bushes
2 x rear wheel bearings
new sump pan
rear braided hoses
sump gasket
mocal sandwich plate
2nd oil cooler
90a alternator
timing belt
lots of other replaced engine gaskets
new magnecor ignition leads
new piperx induction kit
fan blower - new
aero wipers
debadged grille
polo mk5 gti grille badge
new fuel pump relay
new rotor arm
new dizzy cap
new fan belt
new throttle cable
new oil pump
new oil filter
schrick windage tray
synta 10w40 oil - 3.5 litres
quick shift throw bracket
power rohr
wind deflectors

Stuff to fit

new radiator
chrome radiator top metal cover
chrome radiator brackets
Single Wiper
SS 4 branch manifold - 8v (new) already got a mild steel fitted
uprated engine mounts
headgasket
three gearbox bushes
steering rack polybushes
2 x tie rod arms

Things I'm awaiting

Samco coolant hoses
fully acoustically padded interior
5 Way Fused Power Distributer
Uprated Stereo Wiring
Polished Coil Bracket
New VAG Scuttle Panel Cover
Mongoose Stainless Steel Exhaust

Parts to buy

RainX
front Lower Strut Brace
2 x rear bumper clips
16v servo
22.2mm MC
1/4 lite seal OS
windscreen seal
door skins
GTI Arches
Mk2 Golf 16v Rear Disc Conversion

upgrade ground wiring
http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/tech/Te...ound/ground.htm

useful site

http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/tech/index.html

Offline grungeisdead

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2007, 13:46 »
[quote name='DubLass' post='719504' date='Tuesday 7th August 2007 - 10:43pm']Yeay! On the way to NWVAG, camera at the ready.....

But then......snap!  Clutch cable...

So RAC Ron do ron ron came in his low loader and took us home. After a mile walk down the road to go for
a wee in a dodgy pub, where once i had driven though and locked my doors.

Hope you all had a good time you *******s in your working cars! haha[/quote]

[quote name='grungeisdead' post='719512' date='Tuesday 7th August 2007 - 10:47pm']muhahahhaa...

well got my new induction kit and magnecor ht leads fitted today before i set off for nwvag and the car was running sweeet as a nut...

till we got to preston int town when the clutch cable disintigrated!!! i also managed to electrocute myself with a makeshift circuit involvin a clutch cable, me and a positive battery terminal :-D

all good now tho had a new clutch cable at home so fitted and shes up and running again! happy days!

ill be making a cameo at the next meet now hahahha

ill put some pics up now!!!

edit: respect to mk3rob for the polishing on the car, check out walshs leg in it! thats a beast! salz for the entertainment, walshie for the bolt cutters and window mech for me to attempt to try and make a pikey clutch cable, and kris with the jetta for the legendary two cable ties that could have saved the day, if the cable hadnt snapped of the pedal end as well! doh

[/quote]

woo