Author Topic: Moving from manual to automatic  (Read 7406 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Moving from manual to automatic
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2019, 19:44 »
In my 11th year of DSG, and like many others have stated, I’d never go back to a manual life long term for daily driving. 

DSG takes a few weeks to properly get to grips with and it does require a different approach and driving mindset, but that comes quickly enough if you understand that it’s not like driving a manual.  I find you adjust to the DSG but can also make DSG adjust to you. The beauty of it is the fact you have a number of options to suit your driving needs, roads, mood, style of driving - Drive, Sport and Manual - imo all have their place in DSG driving and understanding the how they fit into your daily driving is key getting the best out of DSG.

Once you’ve found DSG, you don’t want to lose it! 

This a good read for anyone considering DSG.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/11881-understanding-and-using-your-dsg-box/

« Last Edit: 21 March 2019, 19:46 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2019, 19:56 »
Go for manual. More fun. And they’ll soon be consigned to history, so enjoy them while you can
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2019, 20:29 »
In my 11th year of DSG, and like many others have stated, I’d never go back to a manual life long term for daily driving. 

DSG takes a few weeks to properly get to grips with and it does require a different approach and driving mindset, but that comes quickly enough if you understand that it’s not like driving a manual.  I find you adjust to the DSG but can also make DSG adjust to you. The beauty of it is the fact you have a number of options to suit your driving needs, roads, mood, style of driving - Drive, Sport and Manual - imo all have their place in DSG driving and understanding the how they fit into your daily driving is key getting the best out of DSG.

This is interesting, that’s it’s described like playing a computer game. Can I ask those with DSG- and most seem very enthusiastic about it- do you not just get lazy and drive it like an auto?
I’ve just gone from bmw 335d auto to a manual gti. I stopped using the paddle shift after a while- it was easier to kick down with the throttle

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2019, 20:44 »
I've never really been too keen on auto's, i've always thought of dsg as being a grand that I don't need to spend. However given VAG's increasing reluctance to offer it's more potent engines with a manual box, it surely won't be too long before we're all driving automatics. So i'll probably cave in eventually and end up with some engine or other paired with a dsg, and steering wheel paddles.

Leases have generally gone up across the board over the last 18 months or so. There's the odd decent offer on R's every now and then, but generally speaking the better deals tend to be on the estate version rather than the hatch.   
7.5 GTD

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2019, 21:15 »

This is interesting, that’s it’s described like playing a computer game. Can I ask those with DSG- and most seem very enthusiastic about it- do you not just get lazy and drive it like an auto?
I’ve just gone from bmw 335d auto to a manual gti. I stopped using the paddle shift after a while- it was easier to kick down with the throttle

I think you can get lazy but equally you can not get lazy! It all depends on the kind of driver you are.  I use the paddles a lot and have S2T replacement paddle shifters which make manual paddle shifting a better experience.  Sometimes on daily morning work commute I just stick to D and let it do it’s thing, but other times I’ll use Sport or S manual for a more engaging drive.  Some think that DSG lacks driver engagement but I think it’s just a different kind of involvement and equally engaging as manual in its own way, and I’ve never felt that driving DSG is like playing Playstation.  I never use kickdown, haven’t used it really since the initial novelty period in my first DSG (mk5 GTI) back in 2008. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2019, 07:32 »
Manual for me but only if the box is a good 'un. My Fiesta ST200 was a stunning drive.

Currently have a DSG and I still hate how long it takes to move when you press the go peddle.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 22 March 2019, 07:39 »
Interesting- thanks Booth11.It does require learning new skills to drive a dsg well. Maybe I didn’t try hard enough with the bmw.
That said,  I enjoy the rev matching and am very happy I went manual. You get real satisfaction from shifting quickly and smoothly.
OP looking to buy an R- but if you are thinking Gti, here’s an interesting piece-

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/dsg-or-manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 22 March 2019, 08:15 »
Sometimes on daily morning work commute I just stick to D and let it do it’s thing, but other times I’ll use Sport or S manual for a more engaging drive.

Does your commute offer opportunities for an engaging drive, or are you just changing gear manually for the sake of it?

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 22 March 2019, 09:06 »
Thanks all, some interesting comments. I was expecting 100% of R (or GTI) owners to vote DSG. I too love a manual gearbox but thats all I've ever used, so I cannot compare. I did consider the GTI in manual but for me keeping an R is still top of my list. I guess I'm no further forward until I take a DSG out for a test drive, I may consider taking the GTI for a test too as I've never been in one and I might be swayed.
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 22 March 2019, 09:08 »

My experience of the older BMW autos with paddles was that they weren't overly responsive, the old steptronic things etc. I think a 335d auto lends itself to been an auto if you know what I mean. The GTI works in D but also comes alive in S or M.

That said, I was at a Porsche GT track day on Tuesday at Oulton Park and had the experience of jumping in the passenger seat of a new GT2 RS for around 12-15 laps. The owner never touched the paddles as in S+ it was never in the wrong gear. The acceleration and braking were in a different universe, and he was using the full 690bhp to the rear wheels and only ever a flicker of TC lights. The braking hurt my head!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey