Author Topic: Quick question re USB charging.  (Read 3733 times)

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
Re: Quick question re USB charging.
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2019, 14:19 »
You might struggle, as the output from 12V might not be powerful enough for fast charging, could be wrong
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2019, 14:41 »
Looks perfect - I have ordered one - thanks!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2019, 15:18 »

Why not plug yours in under the armrest like above and let your missus charge hers from the usb in the dash? Failing that I have a brand new sealed car charger.

If only us lowly Mk7.5 drivers had an extra USB in the arm rest....  :grin: Is that a Nav pro feature?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2019, 15:35 »
I have no idea lol. I just assumed they all had that   :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2019, 16:19 »
I thought the extra USB charging port was with the old advanced telephone prep...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 21 March 2019, 17:38 »
Yep, Fred is correct. The old advanced phone prep came with a USB port in the arm rest.
7.5 GTD

Offline nilesh1979

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2019, 20:31 »
Part number for the armrest usb would be nice.

Offline nilesh1979

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2019, 20:36 »
The answer to this maybe no, but I'll give it a go nonetheless.

Quite often when I'm in the car, I'll be using Android Auto (so my phone plugged into the forward USB socket ahead of the gearstick). More often that not, my wife's Iphone needs charging at the same time, as she always seems to operate it around the 10% charge mark.  ;D

I was therefore wondering if anyone had added a USB charge point into the glovebox that looks OEM (doesn't need to be data just power)? I'm thinking that the little credit card holder that sits near the glovebox light (the plastic piece with the slots in it), is never used in my car, and I was wondering if anyone had come across a replacement panel that had a USB socket instead ?

I was thinking with the fuse box right behind the glove box, it was be pretty simple to power the USB socket directly from a piggyback fuse in the fuse box (the same one as powers the cigarette lighter). Obviously I'd need a USB socket that was designed for the 12V of a car and just needed a positive and negative connection to the fusebox, but there seems to be loads of these around ?

I know I can add a USB charge socket to the cigarette lighter socket behind the handbrake button, but I hate trailing cables (a bit OCD), so thought a hidden charge point would look better?

Any thoughts? This is the piece I'm referring to :

I like this idea, did you get any further.