Author Topic: New GTI PP spec  (Read 5609 times)

Offline GtiRab

• Just got here
Re: New GTI PP spec
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2019, 20:40 »
Well it looks like I’m going with original order as it’s to late to change and that’s from my dealer and from vw. due for building the next two weeks so no amendments allowed. Only ordered 13 days ago.

Offline DanDuda48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2019, 22:17 »
trueblue_ips, as you can see, there are so many views as many people out there. And it is OK, as these things are highly personal.
So here are my comments, not so much telling you what you should do, but as an insight into my reasoning/thinking:
90% rear tints - For the overall price, makes good sense. Not only for privacy, hiding items on the back seat, but during the summer, you will be glad you specified them, as the car will be cooler and easier to cool down. No brainer for me. Besides, it gives it a sportier look.

Sunroof - quite expensive when compared to DCC, Lane assist or Dynaudio. I had one on my previous Skoda and gave me trouble... So I used that money for Oryx on my Golf.

Climate windscreen - a must in my opinion. Once you tried it during the winter months, you will never want to go back. It is a safety thing for me. I must keep my car in the driveway and in the humid cold climate (even in the South), it works its magic within 2 minutes.

DCC - Another must for me (especially for the price vs. overall price of the car). [One of the main reasons I went for a new car was that it was almost impossible to find a demonstrator car with DCC & Climate windscreen and Lane assist.] Almost any review of GTI in car magazines says you should specify it. I had Jetta SE (57 reg) and was very pleased with the dampers; exchanged it for Jetta Sport (12 reg) and it was too harsh. The capability of changing your dampers from Comfort ride when you need it for a long motorway journey and to Sports when you are in a mood for sporty driving is priceless for me... And let me assure you, you can feel the difference.

19" Brescia & Oryx white - Depends on how you are wired. Some people want to stand out from the crowd, others like to fit in. Parker wheels seem too boring to many people. Analogically there are plenty of Pure white(s) around. But make sure you see Oryx white first so that it is what you want. It gives the car a premium look. (But if you save money on this and put it into Dynaudio or something more useful, that's understandable. VW really makes you pay crazy for this luxury.

Hope my two cents of perspective are helpful to you.
2018 Golf GTI PP White Silver; DCC, Discover Pro; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints.
2016 Golf GTD Oryx white; DCC; Tech pack [=Discover Pro + Dynaudio]; Sport & Sound; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 19 March 2019, 00:56 »
Thanks everyone for your opinions and experiences. Really helpful. I think I need to see a dealer now and a few cars in the flesh hopefully with some of the options fitted.

I think I might ditch the Brescias to save a bit but still keep the DCC. Appreciate the ride should be fine without but if DCC in comfort makes the car a bit more refined (does it?) that's quite important to me.

I was happy with tartan so hadn't bothered to consider the interior. id like to see a car with the Art Velours now though. Does the trim like the front and rear armrests have the leather effect with this? All Leather too expensive for me.

Totally understand the appeal of the Dynaudio but I'm not into music enough to justify it.

Sunroof is hard to decide as it seems to divide opinion more than the other options I had but leaning towards not specing it. That pays for the Art Velours interior instead.

So many decisions  :laugh:

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 19 March 2019, 02:43 »
PS, also thinking about the Idium grey over the White.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 19 March 2019, 06:23 »
Reading your original post, you say you are going to PCP it. Optional extras make little or no difference to the cars GFV, meaning that you'll pay for them in full over the term of the deal. So take the cost of an option like a sunroof for example, divide the price by the amount of months, add the interest on, then decide if you want to pay that much a month to rent it. The same goes for paint, wheels, seats, the lot.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 19 March 2019, 06:55 »
Thanks everyone for your opinions and experiences. Really helpful. I think I need to see a dealer now and a few cars in the flesh hopefully with some of the options fitted.

I think I might ditch the Brescias to save a bit but still keep the DCC. Appreciate the ride should be fine without but if DCC in comfort makes the car a bit more refined (does it?) that's quite important to me.

I was happy with tartan so hadn't bothered to consider the interior. id like to see a car with the Art Velours now though. Does the trim like the front and rear armrests have the leather effect with this? All Leather too expensive for me.

Yes: Art Velours gets you the same armrest (front and back), all headrests and the door cards finished in the same (p)leather material as if you'd gone for full leather interior. Seat centres are in a pseudo Alcantara effect material. Nice combo. The pleather is very easy to keep clean compared to cloth. So far, the seat centres in mine are spotless too after 15k.

I'm only on 18s, but if I'd had the chance I would have gone for DCC (my car was already built and in dealers). Lots of poor roads around here, and ocasionally, I find it a tad on the hard side on those roads / bumps; also what some folk don't realise is that even in 'Normal' setting the DCC is actually adjusting itself via a few sensors. I wouldn't rule one out without it, but if you have the coin / opportunity I'd go for it. Not something that can be retro-fitted either really.

Go for climate screen: it's very handy to have, and good value for an option.

I don't have the roof. Would be nice I guess, but I don't find the interior too dark without it (I was thinking that the dark headlining may be a bit sombre).

19s - up to you of course. They fill the arches nicely, but I wanted 18s due my roads. I've since put 18s black prets on - just cos I luv em!

Enjoy ordering your car - you'll love it no matter what spec you go for. GTI PP really is a fantastic car.

Totally understand the appeal of the Dynaudio but I'm not into music enough to justify it.

Sunroof is hard to decide as it seems to divide opinion more than the other options I had but leaning towards not specing it. That pays for the Art Velours interior instead.

GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 19 March 2019, 06:57 »
oops - somehow I added text / quoted into someone elses reply......sorry all. Gettin old and/or it's pre-coffee effect!

my bit was:

Yes: Art Velours gets you the same armrest (front and back), all headrests and the door cards finished in the same (p)leather material as if you'd gone for full leather interior. Seat centres are in a pseudo Alcantara effect material. Nice combo. The pleather is very easy to keep clean compared to cloth. So far, the seat centres in mine are spotless too after 15k.

I'm only on 18s, but if I'd had the chance I would have gone for DCC (my car was already built and in dealers). Lots of poor roads around here, and ocasionally, I find it a tad on the hard side on those roads / bumps; also what some folk don't realise is that even in 'Normal' setting the DCC is actually adjusting itself via a few sensors. I wouldn't rule one out without it, but if you have the coin / opportunity I'd go for it. Not something that can be retro-fitted either really.

Go for climate screen: it's very handy to have, and good value for an option.

I don't have the roof. Would be nice I guess, but I don't find the interior too dark without it (I was thinking that the dark headlining may be a bit sombre).

19s - up to you of course. They fill the arches nicely, but I wanted 18s due my roads. I've since put 18s black prets on - just cos I luv em!

Enjoy ordering your car - you'll love it no matter what spec you go for. GTI PP really is a fantastic car.
GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 19 March 2019, 08:43 »
Just to add my experience with DCC on my 18 month old PP dsg on 19" wheels.

I didn't drive either a DCC equipped or standard GTi before I ordered, but was convinced I needed DCC.
Now, for virtually all of the past 18 months of ownership I have had the dampers set to comfort, but for the last three weeks, out of curiosity, I have had the sport profile set continually.

And it's been a bit of an eye opener: although the suspension is firmer, it is not in any way harsh or 'nobbily', it just has a level of underlying compliance that gives it a feeling of refinement that's far removed from, say, an older S-Line A3 / A4. I'm genuinely quite surprised as I can live with it in everyday use and am beginning to worry that if I switch back to comfort it'll feel like a bit of a barge!

Maybe someone with more experience could advise as to which setting the standard dampers are closest to, e.g. is it sport or somewhere between normal and sport?

But as of now, I might be tempted to skip DCC and save the cash, though I reckon it is quite a desirable extra come resale time.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #28 on: 19 March 2019, 09:26 »

One thing I will say is that there are no wrong choices - the car without ANY options is simply sublime. Anything you spend the money on you really wouldn't miss much IMHO.

I'm definitely ticking Art Velours next time though - it wasn' available when I ordered both my Mk7 and the Mk7.5 (I think, or I just didn't understand what it was!). I don't like all leather, but Art Velours is more like the R seats - really classy. And not expensive either!

DCC - my Mk7 had DCC, my Mk7.5 does not. Ok, I had 18's on both, but I've not missed DCC one bit. Sure, DCC in comfort mode is slightly more relaxed, but its not like the standard suspension is as hard as the standard "sport package" suspension on any other car I've had in the last 30 years. Seriously, the Golf is a pretty sporty package, but its not a head banger - and I do 20k+ miles a year, I'm always in the car, if it was terrible you'd hear me complain.

DCC sounds like an essential item, but in 3 years I must have pushed the button to change it to sport or comfort maybe 10 times? In normally rolled on "normal" which feels no different to non-DCC... and I did that for just under 70k miles...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Deano07

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 19 March 2019, 11:10 »
I have Brescias on mine and l think they really enhance the car. I also have Art Velours(silly name), which again l think is stunning, and l.ve had Jacara as well. I.ve a manual , which is what l wanted.Car was built when l ordered it, so could.nt change anything obviously.  But it had the 3 things l really wanted .Colour, wheels and interior. But saying that l.ve just sold my S4 Saloon, which had sunroof, voice control and automatic, which l find l miss. Getting voice installed next month. For all round use the GTI PP isa fantastic car. Seems to get faster as the miles go on, but that's prob just me.
Audi 2017 S4 Saloon. VW 2018 T Roc  soon to go