Author Topic: GTI Performance or Cupra  (Read 13674 times)

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: GTI Performance or Cupra
« Reply #40 on: 20 March 2019, 13:30 »
When you're on the move, say doing 50, and need to execute a quick overtake, you'll not light up the front wheels if you boot it. The traction deficiency is only apparent in standing starts or booting it out of 2nd gear corners. It's also well documented that when on the move, as in the situation above, the Cupra will show an R or an S3 a clean set of heels when on the move (providing it's dry).
Yes if the s3 and r are tied to trees  :smiley:

It's true mate, it's down to less weight in the Cupra and the extra drive train friction of the Haldex in the R and S3. In wet conditions the Cupra is obviously going to suffer. It's all well evidenced on tinternet

The the internet is really useful for the truth  :grin: 

Offline HappyGtd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #41 on: 20 March 2019, 15:00 »
When you're on the move, say doing 50, and need to execute a quick overtake, you'll not light up the front wheels if you boot it. The traction deficiency is only apparent in standing starts or booting it out of 2nd gear corners. It's also well documented that when on the move, as in the situation above, the Cupra will show an R or an S3 a clean set of heels when on the move (providing it's dry).
Yes if the s3 and r are tied to trees  :smiley:

It's true mate, it's down to less weight in the Cupra and the extra drive train friction of the Haldex in the R and S3. In wet conditions the Cupra is obviously going to suffer. It's all well evidenced on tinternet

The the internet is really useful for the truth  :grin:

The internet is useful for everything, especially for car forums with their lively discussions and witty repartee

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 22 March 2019, 14:26 »
Picking up a 68 plate Copra* next week for £23k with just over 1000 miles on clock (nicely run in for me!).

The only thing I'll miss is adaptive cruise as the Leon doesn't have it

*The Cupras are on their run out, so to speak, now that the MK4 Leon is imminent. The Seat 'S' badges have all changed to a sort of copper colour inside and out, so the Cupra enthusiasts have christened it the Copra.

Least you know it will be quicker and more fun round a track than an R....  :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tgdtVhQzJM
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline NewbieGTIP

• Not said much yet
  • If it ain’t broke..... it probably soon will be.
« Reply #43 on: 22 March 2019, 16:13 »
Picking up a 68 plate Copra* next week for £23k with just over 1000 miles on clock (nicely run in for me!).

*The Cupras are on their run out, so to speak, now that the MK4 Leon is imminent. The Seat 'S' badges have all changed to a sort of copper colour inside and out, so the Cupra enthusiasts have christened it the Copra.

Least you know it will be quicker and more fun round a track than an R....  :grin:

I’m surprised by that! Thought the 4motion would of given it the edge.
#330 Gti Clubsport.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 22 March 2019, 16:44 »

I’m surprised by that! Thought the 4motion would of given it the edge.

Naw, not on a dry track.
The VAQ diff offsets the 4WD.
On a wet public road (where you shouldn’t be driving like an arse anyway) it’d be a different story and obviously off the line a DSG R will run away with it every time (manual R’s can bog down on launches I found if you don’t get it 100% perfect).
Horses for courses.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 22 March 2019, 16:53 »
That's the 280 Cupra from four years ago. New one is now 290 and dsg.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline HappyGtd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #46 on: 27 March 2019, 12:55 »
So I traded the GTD in yesterday and picked up a Cupra. Not had a chance to stretch its legs yet but the one thing I've noticed is that there are no rattles coming from anywhere in the cabin. The GTD and previous Leon were well rattely

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 27 March 2019, 14:22 »
Sounds good, get a picture up and be keen to hear how you get on with it. Would consider one next.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 27 March 2019, 19:50 »
So I traded the GTD in yesterday and picked up a Cupra. Not had a chance to stretch its legs yet but the one thing I've noticed is that there are no rattles coming from anywhere in the cabin. The GTD and previous Leon were well rattely

Good effort and thanks for updating us.
Keep the updates coming too, I’ve always been a Leon Cupra fan.

As Jim says, some photos would be really good :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline HappyGtd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #49 on: 27 March 2019, 21:42 »
Happy to put some pics up if someone wants to give me a few pointers how? Stretched it's legs a bit today, definitely quite brisk :wink: but I'm still learning the intricacies of the DSG. I'm surprised how good it is for comfort, easily as good as the Golf but my Golf didn't have DCC