Author Topic: GTI Performance or Cupra  (Read 13798 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTI Performance or Cupra
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2019, 17:07 »
It's all relative though by saying they are cheap. You could say the golf is expensive and over priced compared to the Leon. They aren't massively different and the interiors use much of the same parts. The Cupra variants are a nice looking car especially in ST  form 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2019, 17:24 »
I agree they possibly are correctly priced and the golf is over priced. And also yes they are much better looking. But where i spend my time is in the driving seat. And it just doesnt compare with quality. Yes the hardware is the same but the dash and plastics aren't. Like i say if seat sorted the interior out vw would lose a customer. Anyway after slightly hijacking the thread, buy a clubsport.  :evil:  :whistle:
Mk7 GTI Edition 40 Clubsport no. 53

Offline HappyGtd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2019, 18:11 »
I have no problem driving a Seat, I had a pre facelift Leon FR 184 before the GTD. The facelift Leons interior is apparently much improved, especially with the digital dash which is more customisable than the Golfs by all account. It all hinges on the Cupra's ride quality which I'm hoping will be reasonable with the DCC.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2019, 10:04 »
My two cents...

I personally didn't care much about a badge (hell, I drove Vauxhalls for years!) but for me it was about total cost of ownership - both depreciation, the finance rates and the actual discounted price via a broker. I would have paid more for a SEAT or a Skoda or an Audi.

Given that the engineering is largely the same across VAG, the Golf was the sweet spot for me, although it does depend on the way you want to fund it - I needed PCP.

The only other point worth mentioning is the interior space - again, coming from a large car to the Golf, the Golf represented the minimum space I needed. The SEAT was too small (in hatch form), the Octavia too big (in estate form - no hatch and I needed a hatch not a saloon), the A3 sportback would have been fine but the money was too much for me.

So not about the badge or the engineering, it was just those things.

As I said though, your circumstances may be different.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2019, 10:08 »
Buy the one you want. The fact is a SEAT is built to a cheaper cost, so will be cheaper. Nothing to do with badge snobbery, they are different cars.

It's your own subjective opinion as to wether that "cheaper" is something you can live with. For me, it wasn't/isn't, so I bought the Golf.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2019, 11:11 »
I know this a Golf forum so it obvious we will mainly all favour the Golf. But I've got to say, I really don't think you can call the Leon Cupra cheap. Both are £30k hatchbacks build using almost identical parts. If you look at the interior, I'd say it's easily on par with the GTI. The switches all have chrome surrounds . The Alcantara looks great. The spec is as good if not better than the Golf.

This one looks fantastic value for £24k. I'd certainly also consider the ST as looks better than the Golf estate.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901204121830?year-from=2018&make=SEAT&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Cupra%20290&model=LEON&postcode=s37bh&sort=sponsored&radius=1500&page=1

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 18 March 2019, 11:32 »
I know this a Golf forum so it obvious we will mainly all favour the Golf. But I've got to say, I really don't think you can call the Leon Cupra cheap. Both are £30k hatchbacks build using almost identical parts. If you look at the interior, I'd say it's easily on par with the GTI. The switches all have chrome surrounds . The Alcantara looks great. The spec is as good if not better than the Golf.

This one looks fantastic value for £24k. I'd certainly also consider the ST as looks better than the Golf estate.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901204121830?year-from=2018&make=SEAT&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Cupra%20290&model=LEON&postcode=s37bh&sort=sponsored&radius=1500&page=1
It's 'cheaper', not 'cheap'. It's built to a cost, that cost is cheaper than a Golf build cost.

Examples off the top of my head where in that car I can see it's built cheaper than a Golf. 1) Cupholders that have no retractable/adjustable levers that keep a cup in place nor have a retractable cover. 2) Door bins that aren't totally felt lined. 3) No adjustable boot floor 4) No rubber liners in the cubby holes 5) Cheaper plastics throughout 6) smaller screen 7) Last generation LED lights. 8) No leather steering wheel 9) No door for the phone holder cubby. 9) Only three DCC settings, 10) Last generation ACC with no controls on the steering wheel. 11) Higher emission levels. Just to name but a few after a quick glance.

Small things maybe, but if you were to go through that SEAT and list it all, it would amount to a long list and add up.

It's there that matters to some people, no all, but to some. When I sit in the golf it's a superior feeling cabin, all the small things add up, so to me it's worth the extra money.

I don't see that car as fantastic value, I see it as a 6mth old £24k Seat, my immediate reaction would be what £25k would get me from VW.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2019, 11:34 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 18 March 2019, 11:45 »
I guess SEAT put the extra money into the driving experience rather than some extra rubber here or a cover there.

That's why it's locking diff and 290bhp. Think a leather steering wheel is standard on Cupras. Agree on the tech side and certainly the LEON model looking a bit more dated.

And yes, you can get a 2018 GTI Performance for £25k  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2019, 12:10 »
I guess SEAT put the extra money into the driving experience rather than some extra rubber here or a cover there.
That's why it's locking diff and 290bhp.
Reviews would say the opposite:

EVO: "The SEAT’s EA888 engine is a real firecracker but its dampers, limited-slip diff and traction control struggle to utilise all of the engine’s power making the SEAT an unruly companion at times. It can be exhilarating for short periods but tiring after a long stretch."

TOP GEAR: "The Cupra's not a wheelspin fest, but you’re a lot more aware the electronic nannies are doing overtime. Top of third gear, the little yellow light blinks away merrily. This car needs no more power – it’s already wasting what it’s got. Yes, it’s a well-rounded hot hatch, but with a few too many caveats. It’s blessed with a nicely mobile rear end, which is fun, but the steering’s numb. It’s very fast, but lacking panache in its delivery."

What CAR: "in most respects we'd describe the Leon Cupra as effective rather than a purist's delight. The steering is consistent but never offers quite the precision of the Civic Type R's, and the Leon Cupra fails to serve up the agility provided by that car, either. It even sounds a bit flat, with its enhanced exhaust note played through the speakers in Cupra mode"

AUTOCAR: "You do get the feeling that maybe there’s a bit too much power for the chassis, though. Leave the traction control on and it’ll stick its oar in all too readily. Turn it off and you’ll still get the odd flash as the Cupra wheelspins through first gear and into second. Throw in a bump in the road and things get even worse. Under hard acceleration, there’s a bang and a jolt through the front suspension as if some of the bushes are made of Dairylea (other soft cheeses are available). That’s probably because the slippy differential is a particularly weak one. Unlike the hottest of Renault Mégane Renaultsports or the Honda Civic Type R, which will pull you around a corner under power, the Cupra almost seems to rely on electronic interventions as much as the locking of the differential."

As said, on paper the SEAT looks comparible, but it's built to a cheaper cost in things you can see (and not see), and those cost cutting methods come through.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 18 March 2019, 12:17 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2019, 12:20 »
I guess the new Fiesta ST is too small?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.