Author Topic: GTI Performance or Cupra  (Read 13802 times)

Offline HappyGtd

• Not said much yet
GTI Performance or Cupra
« on: 16 March 2019, 13:01 »
Hello All,

Despite my username I'm thinking of trading in my manual GTD for something with DSG and a bit more poke but having a dilemma about what to go for.

I've been looking at GTI Performances with between 8000 and 11000 miles on for about £24-£25k and have been pretty dead set on one. But now my head is getting turned quite a lot by Cupras (5 door hatches) with delivery mileage selling for around £22,500.

I know the Golf will have the superior ride quality and interior, but the Cupras new, and faster.

Which should I go for?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: GTI Performance or Cupra
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2019, 13:09 »
Down to personal taste really. I've always used the Golf as my measuring stick by which I judge other cars due to its depth of all round talents.

My biggest issue with the Cupra is 290bhp going through the front wheels only. Haven't tried it though and some say it's fine with the diff if you have tyres that are up to the job.

However it's a lot of car for the money. I think DCC is standard now on Cupra's, so I wouldn't expect ride quality to be a major issue. The cabin isn't quite up to GTi standard, but it is still decent enough and a bit more premium than your bog standard Leon. Early depreciation may still be heavy, but this matters less and less the longer you keep it.
7.5 GTD

Offline HappyGtd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2019, 13:21 »
Cheers for replying Guzzle!

I know it's a lot for the front wheels but I don't think it's an issue once you're on the move, I'm not planning the traffic light grand prix. Up in the Highlands where I live it's all B roads and you need something reasonably brisk for the many overtakes which are required to make positive progress.

My pet hate are folk who sit at 40-45 on twisty bits for a few miles then as soon as the road opens up and straightens out they blast up to 70 or 80. The GTD struggles with that sometimes.

Offline HappyGtd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2019, 13:32 »
Should quantify that better, they do 40-45 on twisty bits that are entirely feasible to do 60+ on.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2019, 14:24 »
When you go out for a meal or park up in supermarket car park which one would you rather look back at? They are both not too dissimilar regarding specs so, IMO, it comes down to looks and cabin quality and I know who wins that one :grin:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2019, 14:41 »
Very very little difference in cabin quality between the golf and Leon and if you go for a Lux model on the Cupra you'll have everything the golf has and more. I actually think the Leon is nicer looking than the golf depending on colour that is.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2019, 15:34 »
For that sort of money id look at a clubsport. Best of both worlds. U get the golf interior which is superior in every way. Plus it has the running gear of a cupra 280/90. And its a clubsport  :cool:  so depriciation shudnt be as bad as a leon which plummet like a stone.  Being in the highlands ul have to travel. But its well worth it. I went 110 miles for mine and never regretted it.   :smiley:
Mk7 GTI Edition 40 Clubsport no. 53

Offline HappyGtd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2019, 15:52 »
Cheers all. I went to Hereford for the GTD, from somewhere near the isle of Skye, So I've no problem travelling for motors. The future looks Cupra!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2019, 16:09 »
The Leon doesn't plummet in value at least the performance models don't and the interior isn't superior in every way on the golf. I didn't think we had badge snobbery on here but it obviously lives  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2019, 16:46 »
No brand snobbery sir as ive had 3 leons. But lets be honest it doesnt compare to the golf interior. Its the reason i didnt buy a new one. And theres a reason leons cupras are cheap and thats because people just wont buy them. They are very good cars. I like them alot, but to most people they are a cheap golf gti. The performance for the cash is excellent. Each to their own. My opinion and i know alot of people that are of the exact same.   :tongue:
Mk7 GTI Edition 40 Clubsport no. 53