Author Topic: Repair or not before p/ex  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
Repair or not before p/ex
« on: 08 March 2019, 11:40 »
so...have booked my car in for repair on pasenger wheel arch (careless door opening idiot) - dent repair did not work. I was also planning to book in for an alloy refurb on one wheel. But I am toying with whether to p/ex for a MK7.5 around June/July and started to wonder whether I should bother getting either done. How much will either affect my p/ex? Dint has not marked paint and alloy needs doing but doesnt look toooo frightful. Is it silly to spend what will be £170ish for dint and £130ish for the alloy. I would get both done if I decide to keep the car.
Grateful for any advice...
« Last Edit: 08 March 2019, 11:48 by Pixwix »

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Repair or not before p/ex
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2019, 12:25 »
I'd say yes, it's a waste of money. Sure, if selling privately it would be worth doing but a dealer won't notice or care much. Your car is probably much tidier than average...
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Philb280

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2019, 12:48 »
I wouldn't bother either if px - only if I was going to try a private sale

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2019, 13:19 »
It depends on how bad the dint is and how much it’s bothering you.
Straight part Ex it won’t affect the value much if at all, but if you’re going to try a bidding site to try and recoup more money then you might want to make the car mint.

Personally the dint would bug the hell out of me but I’m still not sure I’d get it done if the car was on borrowed time.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2019, 14:13 »
funnily enough I am sort of avoiding the dint, its on the crease so sometimes not too visible in the right light :smiley:
Would you all have the same opinion regarding the Alloy refurb, actually that bothers me more as it is much more proof postive of a lack of judgement on my part!

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2019, 14:27 »
My dealer has a local guy who deals with all this sort of thing on px cars. He’s very good and not expensive, so they don’t make too much of an issue with, what they term as, normal wear and tear. You’ve got to remember that folk on here are, generally, a lot more fussy about their cars than Joe Average.

Don’t bother, it probably won’t be mentioned.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2019, 16:42 »
funnily enough I am sort of avoiding the dint, its on the crease so sometimes not too visible in the right light :smiley:
Would you all have the same opinion regarding the Alloy refurb, actually that bothers me more as it is much more proof postive of a lack of judgement on my part!

A dealer won’t judge your care for a simple wheel kerbing, if you see how an average sales guy drives you’ll know they’ll be the last to comment on care!
They’ll deal with far far worse in an average day.

All they see is their commission.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2019, 08:47 »
Still debating whether to get the alloy sorted and had chance to call at a local refurbishment place recommended by my body shop. The guy said as the black had not been touched they simply needed to sort the diamond cut part on the lathe and it would only take a day and cost £60.
 This is opposed to quote on the phone with another place I have been recommended that said they would need it for 3 days and it would cost £120+.

I am tempted as logistically the 3 days is a nightmare for me but don't want to be disappointed by the result.
Any advice much appreciated. ..

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2019, 08:59 »
Still debating whether to get the alloy sorted and had chance to call at a local refurbishment place recommended by my body shop. The guy said as the black had not been touched they simply needed to sort the diamond cut part on the lathe and it would only take a day and cost £60.
 This is opposed to quote on the phone with another place I have been recommended that said they would need it for 3 days and it would cost £120+.

I am tempted as logistically the 3 days is a nightmare for me but don't want to be disappointed by the result.
Any advice much appreciated. ..

Waste of time. If you PX, dealer won't bother with that sort of thing and think most of them factor a prep cost for a new car. It sounds minor. Deal with it if it's a problem when it's a problem.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2019, 09:22 »
Actually I guess I should have started a new post as seriously thinking of getting it fixed as might not p/ex till June and it is annoying me.
My question I guess is more around the validity of the refurb guys assertion that has it hasn't touched the black paint (Austin) they can just sort the diamond cut bit, hence cheaper and quicker. I realise I ought to get a second visual opinion but the other recommended place is not open at weekends.