Author Topic: App Connect question on Golf GTi 7 2016  (Read 3290 times)

Offline aksimmo

• Not said much yet
App Connect question on Golf GTi 7 2016
« on: 30 November 2018, 17:38 »
Hi - this may seem a silly question but I am new to VW and couldn't see an answer on search.

Is APP Connect worth having on a Golf 7 and what can it be used for?

I have the satnav pro in my Gti and have been advised the upgrade cost is £237 fitted - is it worth it?

Many thanks for any replies

Ash

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: App Connect question on Golf GTi 7 2016
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2018, 19:01 »
App Connect allows you to mirror your smartphone on the screen of your infotainment unit. If you have an iPhone you'll be able to use CarPlay, or Android phones you'll be able to use Android Auto.

I have it in my car, but to be honest I've only ever used it once. I prefer to use the built-in maps and listen to music through my iPod Classic.

Do you have an MIB2 head unit? If you don't have the App Connect icon on your screen then your head unit won't be compatible. Here's a video;-

https://youtu.be/utvo61hR5Lk
7.5 GTD

Offline aksimmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2018, 21:02 »
Thanks that’s really helpful. I guess as I have sat nav there aren’t too many apps I’d need to mirror so maybe not worth it.

I do have the app connect icon just says I need a dealer key.

Thanks for your help

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2018, 23:44 »
I love AndroidAuto!

Waze (far superior to VW nav - and I have a Mk7.5 navpro), facebook and whatsapp messages, tunein radio, iplayer radio... all brilliant things.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2018, 06:25 »
I use Android Auto occasionally, mostly for google navigation and spotify, but more lately I have just been using bluetooth streaming as no cable to plug in, if you stop car when you get back in music plays from where left off, just find it easier

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2018, 08:08 »
I would say if you are likely to listen to music from your phone or use other apps which are Carplay or Android Auto compatible then yes it is worth it.  I have it on my 2016 Golf R MK7. I have used it a few times.  But i usually use the SD Card for listen to my library of music in the car and the Nav Pro for Sat Nav.  The time when it came in useful for me was when i only had my new music on the phone, not the SD Card yet. 

However the only minor niggle I have found with using the App Connect, is not directly with App Connect itself but more with the setup of where to place your phone, as my phone is a little too large to fit in allocated area of the centre compartment so I have to drag the cable out through the opening of the centre compartment lid and place the phone on the cup holder cover. 

With phones getting larger these days VW may have to rethink the positioning of the phones when connected to App Connect, as trying to use the allocated area I have broken so many USB cables.  (For an idea of size, the phone I have is a Sony Xperia XZ3)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2018, 08:36 »
If the OP has nav pro then nothing should need activating. I'm sure nav pro comes with Apple/Android whatever it is included.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2018, 10:02 »
I think you are right McMaddy as when i configured the options on my car the dealer was unsure which options came std as part of other options such as Nav Pro so i ended up configuring App Connect at an extra cost...  Then later found out just before the car was delivered that App Connect was std as part of Nav Pro so I got the Dealer to omit the cost of App Connect from the amount to pay on my car.  Due to this the App Connect feature was already activated out.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2018, 10:35 »
If the OP has nav pro then nothing should need activating. I'm sure nav pro comes with Apple/Android whatever it is included.

Well, he says when he presses the button that its not activated... so its not activated.

IIRC, it didn't get bundled immediately, it was the Mk7 run off "tech pack" that included it.

Of course, its now standard (on performance golfs) from the launch of the Mk7.5.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2018, 12:05 »
It's always been standard on nav pro. If the button is being pressed and it's saying it needs activated then maybe it's not a nav pro.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.