Author Topic: GTI mk 7 under preforming  (Read 5187 times)

Offline bsides

• Not said much yet
GTI mk 7 under preforming
« on: 19 September 2018, 14:37 »

Hi all,
I've just purchased a 2015 (22k mile) GTI DSG performance pack, and I'm a little under whelmed in all honesty.
The Car was VW approved and is in mint conditions however it lacks the torque my Mk6 had.
At times it goes how I feel it should but it’s very inconsistent any suggestions, I have been putting standard fuel and will switch to high octane on my next fill.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed??

Thanks

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTI mk 7 under preforming
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2018, 15:42 »
Pedal box and stage 1 tuning box? Probably the pedal box will do what you think you are missing anyway...

There's always the new DSG tuning plugin too - early days but that probably also would help.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Crezzer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2018, 15:57 »
It might be a simple case of your not used to the appalling throttle response of the mk7 / mk7.5?

I've never owned a mk6 so don't know if it was the same for that model but lots of people say the lack of low end torque / response  from the mk7 is down to the electronic throttle cable which can be cured by a pedal box.

I've owned a 7.5 GTI for 8 months now and it's the most annoying thing about the car. Especially i find when you are in sport mode with the soundaktor turned up to max as you put your foot down, get this ridiculous loud noise, but dont actually go anywhere for about 5 seconds and then your away.

I also find if your not in the sweet spot in 2nd or 3rd (3500 rpm plus) then the performance anywhere else is very underwhelming but that all depends on what you have driven before.

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2018, 16:53 »
Honestly, my 2005 MK5 GTi had better throttle response than the 7.5!  :shocked:

Offline Crezzer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2018, 18:33 »
Could make a game out of this...

Lets list things more responsive than a 7 / 7.5 GTI..

My wifes 1.0 fiesta
My 1989 MG mastreo turbo
My dad's 10 year old diesel transit van

Sure there's lots more people can think of.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2018, 19:00 »
Why didn't you stick with your MK6 if you're not happy with the MK7? Have you gone from a manual to DSG?

You can tell a small difference with better fuel but not much.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2018, 19:36 »
I don't have any issues or problems with the throttle response on my GTi pp. Has the OP checked when the car was last serviced? Some decent quality fuel would probably help too.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2018, 22:17 »
if it was mine I would be rolling roading it to make sure it is as it should be to put my mind at rest. At a guess Ive not heard of a mk7 diverter valve failure but what you are saying is how a mk6 feels when its dv is failing. Delay in pedal responce is worse on a 7 but they have more torque.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2018, 02:40 »
I had a mk5GTI for 10 years and my 7.5GTI's throttle response in std form is incomparably poor.  The mk5 felt much more muscular and torquey.  With a pedal box fitted the 7.5 now has missing instant, torquey response.  Without the pedal box it feels like driving with the handbrake on and four flat tyres.  I don't know of one person who has actually used the pedal box who doesn't think it transforms the car's throttle response.

Try one.  They're a cheap and easy fix.  If you don't like it, they're easy to sell on.  I will bet money it will change your opinion of the car.

Edit:  There's a pedal box thread on here I'm too lazy to link, if you want more reassurance.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2018, 03:24 by Splashalot »
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2018, 16:00 »
Try one.  They're a cheap and easy fix.  If you don't like it, they're easy to sell on.  I will bet money it will change your opinion of the car.

Second this, they make a serious difference
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,