Author Topic: New car order delays  (Read 52219 times)

Offline Crayonrunner

• Just got here
New car order delays
« on: 18 September 2018, 20:16 »
Have been looking at various topics on this forum after ordering a new Golf Performance earlier this year, and have found more information than any dealer or VW UK can tell me. That said I am becoming increasingly disillusioned and frustrated with VW....

I originally placed an order for a 230hp GTI back in May this year. The dealer accepted the order, despite my concerns that it wasn't on the configurator. Even VW customer services confirmed they were still available via live chat. Less than a week later - during another conversation with VW via live chat - I was told the order was rejected by the factory and that my dealer would be in touch. As such, I changed my order to a 245hp GTI which I was assured was still available for order.

Dealer quoted 12 week lead time - VW customer services quoted 19 week lead time???

Originally told estimated build week of 31.

This then changed to week 36 during July.

This then changed to week 38 during August.

I then emailed the dealer to see if it was confirmed rather than estimated. Following an exchange of emails between dealer and VW, they eventually confirmed the build week as 38, but that the GTI Performance still wasn't WLTP type approved.....however the dealer said estimated delivery end of Oct/early Nov.

Had another live chat conversation with VW today to see if my order was actually being built this week. The customer service rep gleefully confirmed that the order went into production today. I then enquirer as to whether it had been WLTP type approved yet, and if it hasn't, when was it likely to be. After a short delay the rep confirmed that it wasn't WLTP type approved yet. Furthermore they said that when my car has finished being built, it will be stored until the WLTP certification comes through which they estimate to be during build week 50! Therefore my car is unlikely to be shipped until the second week in January 2019!

Car was ordered at the beginning of June as stated earlier in the post.

The lack of information from VW and their dealers regarding delays at the minute is diabolical. I'm just grateful that forums like these exist so you can at least attempt to find out accurate information.

For those that have recently ordered GTI's and have been quoted Nov/Dec delivery I would query with your dealer or VW UK.

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
Re: New car order delays
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2018, 20:37 »
Thank You for this, I will give them a call.
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2018, 21:03 »
I'm in the same boat, ordered in May and is supposed to be built and not released yet. They say it should be here in October. 1.5tsi r line, currently running about in a golf estate courtesy of the garage until mine arrives.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2018, 21:18 by golfhappy »
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2018, 21:39 »
On the plus side, having the car built and then waiting might give the soft-as-clarts water based paint time to harden. My recently acquired Polo GTI+ was built in South Africa and then underwent a 4 week voyage to Emden  before being shipped to the UK in the same way as a Wolfsburg built Golf. The paint seems to have benefitted from the extra cure time vs my Golf R's paint that suffered 90% of its stone chips over 3 years in the first month of ownership. Almost 7 weeks and 1200 miles in and tge Polo hasn't been scarred yet.

Sounds like VW are building at risk - if they are buildinv cars that don't end up WLTP compliant then they have a big issue on their hands.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2018, 07:36 »
Sounds like VW are building at risk - if they are buildinv cars that don't end up WLTP compliant then they have a big issue on their hands.

Yes that sounds either highly risky or an outright lie.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2018, 12:53 »

Not sure about that. Surely they will come up with a cheat, I mean fix to bring them into spec.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline neepy7.5

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2018, 15:36 »
I've just spoked to VW chat and asked when is the Golf GTI PP DSG likely to be approved and the response i got was:
The Golf GTI has been WLTP approved and is just awaiting Certificate of Conformity to be released into the UK.

I then asked how long that is likely to take and the advisor responded:
We have not yet received any updates in regards to this as of yet. We just received this news from the factory yesterday.

I know we've had cases of VW online chat saying things we want to hear but surely they wouldn't lie about that? Although it wouldn't be the first time they've cheated us :rolleyes:
'68 7.5 Golf GTI Performance 3dr DSG, Isaac Blue

Offline Crayonrunner

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2018, 18:26 »
When I spoke with VW live chat yesterday they said they expect the WLTP certification to be issued in week 50......

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2018, 19:15 »
Has anyone seen this weeks Autocar mag - final report on their long term Golf Gti - near the end it says "just an auto-equipped Performance five-door remains" when talking about a slimmed down Golf range - do they have some insider info ?

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2018, 19:44 »
Just had a look at the VW website - new price list is out -dated 13/9/18 - 2019 Model year models are now listed
separately to 2018 - Gti Performace is listed there as 3 & 5 door,manual & DSG but all emissions figures/prices etc are "TBA"