Author Topic: GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?  (Read 16553 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: GTI Mk8 - Would you wait?
« Reply #50 on: 14 September 2018, 19:25 »
Just casually browsing the used market for GTIs 2016 onwards (as usual) leaves me with the impression that there are fewer cars available than once was.
I exclude GTDs, Rs and all Estates from the comment above.
Given that the order book is currently closed and who knows where we will all be by early 2019, this suggests a “lean” time for those entering the GTI ownership family got the first time.
Indeed, will the Performance Golf 7.5 order book ever re-open before Golf production shifts to the 8? There’s an interesting thought.
Or am I talking b******s as usual?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 16 September 2018, 12:10 »

Indeed, will the Performance Golf 7.5 order book ever re-open before Golf production shifts to the 8? There’s an interesting thought.

We can speculate an awful lot but don't have much insider info coming out, at least on this forum.

At a guess I'd say the engines VW will be putting most of the resources into will be those that will be carried over into the next generation or are used prolifically in other models in the range where their investment will be paid back.

Plus I'd imagine the main focus of Golf investment will now be aimed towards the upcoming mk8 unless VW decide to hold that back a year. I doubt the latter as the focus on low emissions worldwide will kind of force VW's hand to get the tech into production as soon as possible.

So it all depends on how easy VW find getting it to pass the new standards with the current bigger engines and where their cut off point is.
The R engine is more likely to have extra resources thrown at it as it will feature in SUV's as well as estates in the shorter term so has a broader scope. Again, this depends on what VW are planning for the mk8 and T-Roc R.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #52 on: 16 September 2018, 18:18 »
 Since when was the order book closed for the GTI Performance - it's still on the configurator,drive the deal etc - or have I missed something ? - I'm aware the 230ps model isn't available anymore but didn't know about the performance model - is it just temporary for all Golf models until they pass the WLTP test ?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #53 on: 17 September 2018, 08:55 »
Since when was the order book closed for the GTI Performance - it's still on the configurator,drive the deal etc - or have I missed something ? - I'm aware the 230ps model isn't available anymore but didn't know about the performance model - is it just temporary for all Golf models until they pass the WLTP test ?

The order book isn't closed, its that as of yet there isn't an acceptable delivery time frame (for many)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline froudeg

• Just got here
« Reply #54 on: 21 September 2018, 00:05 »
People seem to have such limited memories....

VW have followed the same pattern for a while when it comes to new model releases:

Announce new base models in Summer (usually June/July) (Not GTI, Not R)
Orders start August/September
Deliveries start arriving end of year.

GTI announced following year, orders in June/July, deliveries start towards end of year
R announced Spring (March) following year, orders April/May, deliveries August/September

So GTI not announced until 2020, and you wont get em towards end of year
R wont be announced till 2021, and you wont get that till 2nd half of year

As for specs - usual form is to start rumours of some silly figure (like all the rumours of a 300bhp GTI for the MK7 and now 400bhp for the Golf R Mk8)....reality is usually halfway between current power and the rumoured power.....the rumoured power being closer in some special edition (clubsport or performance) some years later

Buy now, as you will be waiting almost 2 years before a GTI mk8 physically appears on your driveway.....with a fair few glitches that need to be revised out.

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #55 on: 21 September 2018, 06:51 »
Just casually browsing the used market for GTIs 2016 onwards (as usual) leaves me with the impression that there are fewer cars available than once was.
I exclude GTDs, Rs and all Estates from the comment above.
Given that the order book is currently closed and who knows where we will all be by early 2019, this suggests a “lean” time for those entering the GTI ownership family got the first time.
Or am I talking b******s as usual?

Yep, I can confirm that order book for GTI PP is definitely open. When we take delivery of the car, that is a different matter...
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 21 September 2018, 09:51 »

VW have followed the same pattern for a while when it comes to new model releases:

GTI announced following year, orders in June/July, deliveries start towards end of year
R announced Spring (March) following year, orders April/May, deliveries August/September

Not necessarily limited memories; if someone’s relatively new to the VW scene they maybe unaware of what’s happened historically with new model launches.

VW broke the usual trend with the new Polo though, and the new Polo GTI was announced and previewed at the same time as the non-performance models, and it was available to order 3 months after the order books opened for the non-performance models. So what has happened in the past with the Golf isn’t necessarily a guide to what will happen with the mk8.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #57 on: 21 September 2018, 14:03 »
Interesting re Polo. What was the original quoted lead time for new Polo GTI and what is it for an order placed now?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 21 September 2018, 14:24 »
Interesting re Polo. What was the original quoted lead time for new Polo GTI and what is it for an order placed now?

I think it’s currently around 48 weeks :shocked:. Not sure what the original quoted lead time was, but some members over on uk-polos.net who placed orders as soon as the order books opened (think that was Feb) got their cars late June / early July. I know of one person on that forum who ordered their Polo GTI+ as soon as the order books opened and they are still at stage 2 ‘with the factory’! Admittedly, their car is very highly specc’d with most of the available options, so that could be having an impact on the lead time.

The South African factory at Uitenhage where UK destined Polos are built was closed for around 2.5 months earlier this year; no one really knows why, although WLTP and 2019 MY retooling are probably two of the reasons for the closure. A 2.5 month factory closure will have a huge impact on lead times, as dealers were still taking orders during that time, so there must be a massive back log of customer orders waiting to be fulfilled.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 21 September 2018, 18:49 »

As for specs - usual form is to start rumours of some silly figure (like all the rumours of a 300bhp GTI for the MK7 and now 400bhp for the Golf R Mk8)....reality is usually halfway between current power and the rumoured power.....the rumoured power being closer in some special edition (clubsport or performance) some years later

Buy now, as you will be waiting almost 2 years before a GTI mk8 physically appears on your driveway.....with a fair few glitches that need to be revised out.

Pretty sure that the Mk7 GTi and GTD were both available to order within 3 months of the non-performance models arriving in showrooms

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=249598.0

and they were at dealers a couple of months after that

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=254192.0

That's less than 6 months between first deliveries of non-performance Golf's and GTi's.
7.5 GTD