Author Topic: N/S Passenger door replacement  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Mrgti

• Not said much yet
N/S Passenger door replacement
« on: 20 August 2018, 18:48 »
Hi all
Been a while since I was on here but I need a lil bit of advice/help on replacing the complete front passenger side door. I've got eight dents in the door from me being a little bit over cautious about protecting my motorbike(live in london how can you blame me) and have asked around for paintless dent removal from some good recomendations. All have come back saying PDR No chance. Also enquired about the door being sanded back and filled by body shops ect. The body shops quotes are insane. So I'm playing with the of idea buying a Mk6 GTD door and fitting it to the gti petrol. Question is will the gtd 2009-2012 fit on the gti 2009. Is it a straight fit.
Cheers gears

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: N/S Passenger door replacement
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2018, 22:41 »
It should do.

The metal body panels on the mk6 GTI 5 door should be the same as those on any other mk6 5 door Golf, and a 3 door mk6 GTI shares the same body panels with any other 3 door mk6 Golf (plastic bumpers will be different on certain models). Therefore a replacement door doesn’t necessarily need to come from a GTD; one from a GT, R, Match, SE or S should also fit. If you’ve got a 5 door, the replacement door will need to come from a 5 door. Similarly, if you’ve got a 3 door you’ll need a door from a 3 door as the doors on a 3 door are longer than the front doors on a 5 door model. You’ll probably need to use your existing door card too, and your existing door mirror; if your car has the dipping kerbside mirror function on the nearside door mirror, if the replacement door comes with mirror, it might not have the dipping function.

The doors from the mk6 estate won’t fit though, as the mk6 estate is effectively a mk5 estate body (including mk5 estate doors) with mk6 style front end.

Edit: the cabriolet doors won’t fit the 3/5 door hatchback either as they’re frameless.

« Last Edit: 21 August 2018, 00:09 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Mrgti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2018, 17:17 »
Hi SRGTD

First of all I'd like to thank you for the quick response to my question and also supplying me with all the options I now have to replace this pain in the cosmetic ass door. I've now scouted around the web and a few dozen websites and hours later found a door. Will post a few pics up of before & after. All in all the cheaper option

cheers  :smiley:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2018, 23:43 »
Nothing much to add to the previous persons reply except that you may need to VCDS code in the door module if you dont change it out for your current one.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.