Author Topic: Amazon Dot into Golf Mk7.5  (Read 1607 times)

Offline DavyC

• Just got here
Amazon Dot into Golf Mk7.5
« on: 17 July 2018, 23:02 »
Has anyone successfully fitted an Amazon Dot into their Golf?I have a new Dot,double USB,3.5mm jack lead and am struggling to get it to all link up.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
Re: Amazon Dot into Golf Mk7.5
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2018, 09:28 »
What’s the use case?
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2018, 09:51 »
https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/set-up-alexa-in-your-car-364

That article even looks like its using a VW... (see photo of the Bluetooth hookup bit - that's a VW MIB unit)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2018, 18:40 »
I would assume you need to connect the echo dot to your phones wifi using your phone as a hotspot. The use the alexa app to pair it with the car via bluetooth. Or just plug in the jack lead and enable the aux in on tbd head unit.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2018, 08:21 »
The Garmin Speak is the same thing but designed for the car isn't it?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2018, 08:55 »
If I am being honest, you don't really need it in a Golf with AppConnect as you already have either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

AFAIK, nothing an echo can do is not possible with either of those two platforms, except maybe ordering sh*t from amazon.

You certainly can do most other things and in addition you have a push to talk button rather than the thing listening to everything you say and keep interjecting (my friend has an amazon thing and going round there is a nightmare, I keep saying things it decides it wants to hear!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC