Author Topic: dashcam installation  (Read 1888 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
dashcam installation
« on: 14 July 2018, 21:33 »
Sparing no expense I have bought a Lidl dashcam. My intention is to try it out with a trailing lead. If if works well I intend to feed the usb cable around the windscreen from the unit which I will mount near the rear view mirror on the passenger side. From the bottom of the windscreen on the passenger side I intend to feed the cable in to the fuse box where the cigar lighter 5v adaptor will mate with a female and then to a fuse using a piggy back fuse tap.

Does this seem a sensible idea? Which fuse might be best to tap into?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: dashcam installation
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2018, 23:23 »
Loads of info in the MK7 maintenance section.

Here is a post from it showing what fuse to use among other useful info for your installation.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=261543.0
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2018, 13:33 »
Use the trailing lead until your certain its the camera for you.
Note that many cams are hopeless in the dark or in v bright conditions. You always seem to get what you pay for with dash cams.
Use an Ultra HD card and see what comes up when you (try and) watch the replays on your PC.
Some dash cams eg Nextbase 512GW will accept a rear cam installation so you can run both off the same power source and a split screen on the dash cam, this enables the rear cam to be very small and lower cost compared to other manufacturers.

Lastly when you do the hardwire ensure the power lead goes BEHIND the vertical airbag.

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2018, 20:26 »
I need to route a wire into the fuse box from the left hand side. (RHD Golf UK). The panel at the side of the dash which is visible when you open the passenger door has the airbag turnkey switch on it. Can I remove this panel without interfering with the switch?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2018, 20:50 »
Yes, the airbag deactivation switch harness has enough length for you to remove the panel without disconnecting the switch.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2018, 08:40 »
Thanks for that and also to Mike J for advocating the trial without any fancy wire concealment.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2018, 10:51 »
Nigel,
Checkout  https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

Everything and anything is on there plus some very interesting offers etc.