Author Topic: Newbie questions...everyone loves newbie questions right...?  (Read 5179 times)

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Hi all,

Recently picked up a 2013 Mk7 GTI PP and have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with:

1 - Media in - I picked up one of the green collared MDI cables with the impression that this would allow me to connect my Iphone6 to the steror directly and stream Spotify without the need for using bluetooth and also see album artwork but it just seems to see it as a hardrive and won't recognise the apps. I assume this is because my 2013 car has an MIB1 input not MIB2?

2 - Throttle pedal - it feels like on 'full throttle' there is actually another 10mm or so of travel - it almost feels like a swtich - its a bit like a kickdown function on some automatics (mine's a manual) Is this a feature??

3 - Swirl marks in Tornado red paint - pretty noticeable in the sun...what's the best way to get rid of / minimise them short of spending $$$ on a professional detail.

4 - Am I wrong to want to get black carbon mirror covers...?

5 - It's pretty quiet...last owner had the soundaktor turned down I believe (?) That's fine, not a fan of piped in fake noise, but what recommendations do people have for airboxes / exhausts? Or should I enjoy the peace n quiet and leave it standard?

6 - Being a 2013 year car mine has silver GTi badges rather than the red ones (it's a PP car) Should I swap them for red or leave silver...can't make my mind up...

Any help, opinions or just comments telling me to use the search function are all welcomed :)

Cheers,

Greig
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
2. Yes there is a switch at the bottom of the throttle. The gate is to override the speed limiter. Kick down through it and whoosh...

3. Pay someone to buff it out or DIY?

4. Yes.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
1. Could it be you haven’t got app connect?
CarPlay/android auto show some apps, otherwise it’s just used as a external hard drive like you said

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
1. Could it be you haven’t got app connect?
CarPlay/android auto show some apps, otherwise it’s just used as a external hard drive like you said

Ahhhh.... AppConnect definitely not on a 2013 car!

The only thing you can do is to connect to the car as a Bluetooth audio device (select Bluetooth as your audio source on the stereo), then play your streamed music on the phone (start it on the phone). You can't control the phone/app with the car.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Hi all,

Recently picked up a 2013 Mk7 GTI PP and have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with:

3 - Swirl marks in Tornado red paint - pretty noticeable in the sun...what's the best way to get rid of / minimise them short of spending $$$ on a professional detail.

4 - Am I wrong to want to get black carbon mirror covers...?

6 - Being a 2013 year car mine has silver GTi badges rather than the red ones (it's a PP car) Should I swap them for red or leave silver...can't make my mind up...

Any help, opinions or just comments telling me to use the search function are all welcomed :)

Cheers,

Greig

3. The swirls would need to be corrected with a machine polisher and an appropriate combination of pad and polish to remove them - either by a detailer or yourself if you have a DA polisher. Alternatively, the cheap option would be to ‘hide’ them by using a polish that contains fillers; if you use a filler polish, you’ll need to reapply the polish fairly regularly though, as regular washing will remove it, revealing the swirls again.

If you do get the swirls machine polished out, stay clear of the £5 hand wash places, and ensure you use a safe two bucket wash method, otherwise the swirls will soon be back! Lots of useful information in the Detailing section of the forum on safe washing techniques, polishing etc.
    4. It’s your car, so if you want to fit different mirror covers, then it’s up to you. Bear in mind that some of the cheap ones on eBay are not the best quality and you get what you pay for.
    6. You could always get a set of red badge skins and apply these over the existing chrome badges;
https://www.badgeskins.com/store/p2/GTI_badgeskin_set.html[/list]
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Hi all,

1 - Media in - I picked up one of the green collared MDI cables with the impression that this would allow me to connect my Iphone6 to the steror directly and stream Spotify without the need for using bluetooth and also see album artwork but it just seems to see it as a hardrive and won't recognise the apps. I assume this is because my 2013 car has an MIB1 input not MIB2?
 Sorry, can't help - got android

2 - Throttle pedal - it feels like on 'full throttle' there is actually another 10mm or so of travel - it almost feels like a swtich - its a bit like a kickdown function on some automatics (mine's a manual) Is this a feature?? If (for instance) you've got the speed limiter set, it'll not go faster than the limiter unless you go pastthe "click". It's got other uses too but I can't remember them now

3 - Swirl marks in Tornado red paint - pretty noticeable in the sun...what's the best way to get rid of / minimise them short of spending $$$ on a professional detail. It could be worth getting a pro to remove the swirls and coat it (ceramic coating?) but I'll let one of the residnet detailing Guru's answer that one

4 - Am I wrong to want to get black carbon mirror covers...? Nope, got 'em myself

5 - It's pretty quiet...last owner had the soundaktor turned down I believe (?) That's fine, not a fan of piped in fake noise, but what recommendations do people have for airboxes / exhausts? Or should I enjoy the peace n quiet and leave it standard? Depends on your requirements and budget. I just bought a Milltek cat back but it's an expensive way to just get a bit more noise. Some have done the resonator delete or the suitcase delete with varying results

6 - Being a 2013 year car mine has silver GTi badges rather than the red ones (it's a PP car) Should I swap them for red or leave silver...can't make my mind up... It's an idea I've toyed with myself, but can't bring myself to spend not far off £50 for a couple of badges - another option is badgeskins.

Cheers,

Greig

All coming from a 2014 GTI PP owner.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Really helpful info., thank you guys. The throttle pedal thing is weird, yup seem my iphone is bluetooth only. Anyone want a green collared MDI cable...

Good link to the badgeskins - thank you! Yeah maybe I won't bother with the carbon mirrors, just a thought.

Cheers

Greig
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Thanks Gnasher, very helpful.

Excuse my ignorance...what's a resonator delete and suitcase delete?

Cheers
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Yeah maybe I won't bother with the carbon mirrors, just a thought.

Gloss black on the other hand...
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
Excuse my ignorance...what's a resonator delete and suitcase delete?

Two different parts of the exhaust system. Resonator box is about half way up the pipe and the suitcase is the box between the tail pipes (AFAIK).

Two components which reduce the noise in the OEM design.