Author Topic: Brakes Making Metallic Pinging/Grinding Sound  (Read 1129 times)

Offline MK6-Fan

• GTI forum regular
Brakes Making Metallic Pinging/Grinding Sound
« on: 21 April 2018, 09:37 »
Wonder if anyone can help.

I was cleaning my car the other day and was using a long wheel brush to clean the wheels. I felt the brush get stuck and it felt hard to pull back out afterwards so I gave it a bit of a yank.

Now whenever I drive the car, it makes this horrible pinging metallic sound which sounds to be coming from the brakes.

This was intermittent at first but now it has changed to constant and also makes a horrible loud squeaking/grinding noise when reversing.

I definitely think this is related to the brakes and I've removed all the wheels to check for any visual problems but can't find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks
2012 Golf MK6 Match 3dr|1.4 TSI 122PS|Manual|Solid Black|MFSW|RCD510|

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
Re: Brakes Making Metallic Pinging/Grinding Sound
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2018, 11:04 »
Did the brush maybe bend the backing plate when you pulled it back out? Maybe it's now fouling the brake disc?
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline MK6-Fan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2018, 11:25 »
Did the brush maybe bend the backing plate when you pulled it back out? Maybe it's now fouling the brake disc?

I think perhaps that's what's happened yes. I don't think it's driveable so have booked it to get recovered on a truck.
2012 Golf MK6 Match 3dr|1.4 TSI 122PS|Manual|Solid Black|MFSW|RCD510|

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2018, 19:05 »
Really? If it is the back plate, surely it would just bend back? Only needs to be clear of that the disc. They’re not pretty anyway, usual rusty ragged round the edges. 😮
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2018, 22:38 »
Jack up, take off wheel.... see where it fouls, as others said most likely brake shield. Bend back and happy days...
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles