Author Topic: Wireless Charging Saga  (Read 7104 times)

Offline JasonGTD

• GTI forum regular
Re: Wireless Charging Saga
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2018, 10:52 »
Bloody hell that's a bugger, thank goodness my car hasn't been built yet. Will get hold of the dealer and de-select this option quick smart.
2018 MK 7.5 GTD 3 Dr in Pure White,Extras,Front Splitter, Carbon Exhaust Tips.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 22 April 2018, 11:37 »
Probably just unplugging the aerial or power lead to the amp

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2018, 20:35 »
My VW dealer is meant to be fixing this issue on a new Golf I am picking up next Saturday. Does anybody know how the fix might be done as I'm worried that it will involve taking part of the dash apart and if so I would be pretty upset that they are doing this on my new car?? 

They said only involves lifting of carpet and some very minor work, but not 100% convinced.

It is located in the offside rear quarter panel behind the interior trim panel, so rear seat bench and drivers side rear interior trim panel will be removed only.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline 458jase

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2018, 20:57 »
Thanks Gaz. I wonder why my dealer said it would only really involve lifting up some carpet?

I don't think I have an option other than to let them disconnect it. Not too concerned if it only involves very minor work. But presumably the removal of the amp does compromise the intended functionality which I paid an extra £360 for??

Thanks

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2018, 21:23 »
I presume it only takes away the signal booster but leaves the wireless charging, so if you ordered it because you live in a mobile phone poor signal area then it could be seen as a waste

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2018, 22:59 »
Well, you could always just plug it back in... ;)
Hardly gonna pick up signals from secret services are you?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 24 April 2018, 13:23 »
Just had a call from the dealers to say my car will be released from the Docks and be with them on Friday. Apparently a TPI has been sent to dealers detailing the fix for the telephone coupling issue that's required to sort out the problem. When I asked them, is it just like SEAT are doing, i.e. unplugging the amplifier, he said to the best of his knowledge, he's been informed no, and that this is a permanent fix (thinks it may be a software update to the unit) ?

In any case, looks like I'll now be hopefully collecting the GTI a week Saturday
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2018, 11:37 »
Well, went to see the new car at the dealership on Saturday, and I was lead by my salesmen into their workshops where the car was there in one of the service bays. I was a little shocked when i arrived that pretty much all of the rear boot trims (striker lock trim and both side trims, were removed and all the parts on the back seat of the car.

When I asked what was happening, I was told that the TPI from VW was to remove the amplifier completely (that connects the phone aerial to the car aerial and boosts signal)  from the car and tie up the cables to prevent them rattling. The tech told me the TPI had said this was because the amplifier was interfering with the DAB signals and resultant poor radio signals. When I told him what the forums were saying (i.e. it is being removed as it crosses over into frequencies that Offcom in the UK deem private, he was sort of left scratching his head. So either VW are right and it's simply something to do with poor radio reception, or they are "misguiding" (shall we say) dealers in to the real reason for the TPI in the first place.

I am going in tonight to sign for the car and instigate my cherished plate transfer for a collection on Thursday evening, but have told them I want to view the car in the daylight first to make sure that all trim has been correctly refitted with no scratches, broken fittings, marks etc, and the same goes for the rear bumper, in which somewhat stupidly in my opinion, they had removed the transport wrapping from even though they were no doubt rubbing up against it whilst doing the work ?

My final dilemma is that regarding the fact they effectively they have removed part of the option I had paid for, with no guarantee that it will ever be refitted, should I demand some sort of recompense on the price of the option now only some of it's functionality now works ? The option cost £360.00so I'm thinking at least £100 for the missing part of the spec. What do you think ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2018, 14:36 »
I did have a customer challenge this with VW customer services but as I expected they didn't get anywhere. The wireless charging option on the Golf for £360 was never advertised as having a mobile signal booster in part of the price.

I guess only customers who ordered the Mobile Phone interface - Business may have grounds to ask for a reduction in the price however we haven't had a single customer order that as an option.

Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2018, 14:56 »
OK good to know thanks Evo.

I was definitely told by my dealer at time of order, that like my current GTD which also has the climate windscreen fitted, that although unlike last time VW were not making you having to select the advanced phone option when ordering this windscreen option, they did tell me that the Wireless Phone pack did also give the same sort of boost functionality to the phone that my current 2016 advanced phone prep does. As you rightly say though, on checking the description in the brochure it doesn't implicitly state this, but it was one of the reasons I selected it. Guess it's my word against their's.

In any case, if they are removing a part of a new car that came with a feature (be it advertised or not), and hacking a brand new car apart this isn't something surely that's normal practise ?