Author Topic: Recommended dash cam?  (Read 8159 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Recommended dash cam?
« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2018, 17:24 »
I have the nextbase 512gw great bit of kit very clear resolution day and night bough a 2nd mount si able to swap from trick to car fell lucky Halfords had it on offer round xmas £129 so I grabed it  :whistle:

Do these have speed camera recognition? If not any recommendations of Dash Cams that do. Garmin? Thanks.

https://www.t3.com/news/best-dash-cam
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2018, 18:15 »

Do these have speed camera recognition? If not any recommendations of Dash Cams that do. Garmin? Thanks.

I had the Garmin 55 and that had camera warning but a beep and you had to look at the screen to see what the beep was for. Also. I had the very first ones that came out and the first one went back because it kept turning off and the second randomly stopped recording for no reason. They both overheated as well and turned off in parking mode hopefully they have sorted them now as even with a firmware update that was supposed to fix it, it would still turn off.

After getting a refund I went for the Thinkware F770 and it is perfect, spoken speed, traffic light, average speed and mobile speed cameras. Also has parking mode (IMO a must) that can be set to automatically turn off after amount of hours or a certain voltage to prevent battery drainage.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2018, 18:43 »
I'll recommend the f770 too, it's excellent.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2018, 11:38 »
Nextbase all the way for me  :smiley:

I have the 512GW and its even better than the prevous model which I was going to use as a rear cam.
BUT
Nextbase are producing a rear cam add-on for the 512GW with the plug-in is already built into the shoe.

This  is where to go for all the latest info. a big plus is that Tiffany, the Nextbase techie is there for all the latest info and advice.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/512gw.266/

Hope this helps.

Offline JeffPoe

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2018, 19:33 »
If you want to know about speed cameras, use Waze on your phone.

Forget any sort of multi purpose unit and just buy a camera only.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2018, 15:40 »
When my new Golf GTI arrives, I'd like to fit a dashcam in there, but I've ordered the car with the Lane assist package which I assume means it will come with a setup like this :

That being the case, I don't want anything too bulky that will stick out of the side and ideally not a rear screen either (as I just find them a distraction. So long as I can download via WI-FI when needed (or remove the MicroSD card) that that will be enough.

Also don't want to spend a fortune so anyone any ideas please ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Max Q

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2018, 22:52 »

Got a Blackvue DR750S recently and I'm very happy with. It has wifi downloading of clips and great video quality with 60fps. The main reason I went with Blackvue is that I preferred the form factor over most other offerings. It fits neatly behind the rear view mirror and is very hard to spot from outside the car unless you're really looking closely. I hard wired mine in with a power magic pro. The Blackvue's are not the cheapest however by a long shot but they do seem well made and I'm very happy with mine.
Mk7.5 R DSG Indium Grey 5Dr

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 24 March 2018, 08:30 »
Andrew I've got f770 sitting on the screen just to the left of the rear view mirror. Barely noticeable when you are driving. Highly recommend it.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2018, 08:21 »
My mate's got an F770 in his car. He loves the quality, but it's a big bugger isn't it ? Helps that it doesn't have a screen and can sort of lie flat. He did tell me that the app he has to go with it seriously needs updating for the 21st century, and looks very dated, but he said he can't deny the quality. It's certainly one to add to the list.

For you other guys with the models with screens (most of the Nextbase ones), can you confirm that you can set the screen to be permanently off or is it on all the time (think that would be a distraction ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2018, 08:58 »
The Thinkware app isn't that bad to be honest. You only need something basic to change the settings etc and if you've got a big screen phone which you have the video clip playback will be excellent.