Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2740649 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9020 on: 09 December 2018, 17:32 »
Tried to fit some carbon mirror caps today... unfortunately despite buying what I thought would be a decent product, they don’t fit.

Anyone fitted new mirror caps? Shouldn’t need to be forced into place should they? The OEM one slotted back with almost no effort. Quality of the finish is good but they just aren’t the same shape as the inside part is too curved in.

Been there, broken that :rolleyes: The problem is they fix the cf on top of a non oem part which probably wouldn't have fitted properly in the first place. The cf looks good but the standard VW black gloss ones look great and fit properly for a reasonable price.

Yeah, decided that forcing them isn’t going to work especially when it’s not that warm out.

Disappointed, thought they looked great but such a shame can’t get the right fit  :sad:

The other issue which I had is that the clips aren't as flexible as on the oem covers so when you fit the covers, if the clips don't get positioned spot on they can snap off unlike the oem ones which will bend to some extent. Having tried two sets non-oem now, I wouldn't bother again.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #9021 on: 09 December 2018, 18:40 »
Any chance you can get some luggage scales to weigh one of these? Unless you know what they weigh?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9022 on: 09 December 2018, 19:51 »
Do these weigh roughly the same as a standard VW wheel? I'm interested in a set for putting some Bridgestone A005s on too.

Quite a difference in price to genuine VW alloys.
I wonder if there is a big difference in quality ?
https://vdsshop.co.uk/collections/mk7-golf-gti/products/vw-18-pretoria-alloy-wheel-set-18-x-7-5-5-x-112-et51-gloss-black

The price differential suggests there’d be some quality difference, although IMO, I always think that VW charge top dollar for their alloys when bought as an aftermarket accessory.

It’d be interesting to know who manufactures the Pretorias sold by CM Wheels, and whether they’ve been subjected to the same TUV or JWL (or equivalent) safety testing that VW OEM wheels (and aftermarket wheels from the likes of BBS) are. Documentation supplied with the wheels and the impressed marks on the reverse of the spokes would clarify this.

There’s a slim possibility they’d be JWL tested but virtually zero chances they’d have TÜV at that price. Very very few reps are sold on mainland Europe as they’re simply not road legal from what I’ve been told by Mainland Euro wheel suppliers in the past.
They’ll be made in various Chinese factories and I wouldn’t mind betting quality varies massively.

VW do indeed load a massive premium on their own branded wheels. Similar wheels made by Borbet etc are far far less expensive at retail prices. Bearing in mind they come out the same factory using probably exactly the same quality control...

I’d still happily run replicas as winter wheels though. They tend to have better offsets than VW OEM wheels to boot.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9023 on: 09 December 2018, 20:08 »
Sorry, I don't have any scales to hand. Wife wont let them in the house!  :grin: :grin:

Honestly when removing the Austin to try these on the car, the reps felt slightly lighter. They are JWL and VIA stamped, see pic.

I am more than happy to run these as winters and see how they go.

I am not fitting till i get the centre caps though, which will hopefully be sometime this week. Can't have them fitted looking unfinished!  :grin:

Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9024 on: 09 December 2018, 20:21 »
Sorry, I don't have any scales to hand. Wife wont let them in the house!  :grin: :grin:

Honestly when removing the Austin to try these on the car, the reps felt slightly lighter. They are JWL and VIA stamped, see pic.

I am more than happy to run these as winters and see how they go.

I am not fitting till i get the centre caps though, which will hopefully be sometime this week. Can't have them fitted looking unfinished!  :grin:

That’s good news seeing they have JWL approval. You know they meet a certain standard.
There are loads of guys happily running CM Wheels replicas on the R forum with no reports on any quality issues.
OEM Prets buckle very easily due to the thin and widely spaced spokes so they’re not the be all and end all.
If I didn’t have a million and one more pressing things on my plate I’d buy a set to run over winter with Rainsports or similar cheapo wet weather tyre. I live in the South West on the coast so snow is a rarity but it rains an awful lot.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #9025 on: 10 December 2018, 12:54 »

No worries, can't upset the wife just for a forum member  :wink:

Interested in hearing how these hold up as winter wheels, maybe try a few pot holes for us if you can  :laugh:

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9026 on: 10 December 2018, 13:29 »
Finally washed it a different shade of grey  :smiley:

Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9027 on: 10 December 2018, 13:31 »
Tried to fit some carbon mirror caps today... unfortunately despite buying what I thought would be a decent product, they don’t fit.

Anyone fitted new mirror caps? Shouldn’t need to be forced into place should they? The OEM one slotted back with almost no effort. Quality of the finish is good but they just aren’t the same shape as the inside part is too curved in.

Been there, broken that :rolleyes: The problem is they fix the cf on top of a non oem part which probably wouldn't have fitted properly in the first place. The cf looks good but the standard VW black gloss ones look great and fit properly for a reasonable price.

Yeah, decided that forcing them isn’t going to work especially when it’s not that warm out.

Disappointed, thought they looked great but such a shame can’t get the right fit  :sad:

The other issue which I had is that the clips aren't as flexible as on the oem covers so when you fit the covers, if the clips don't get positioned spot on they can snap off unlike the oem ones which will bend to some extent. Having tried two sets non-oem now, I wouldn't bother again.

Yeah was very reluctant to start forcing the cover, especially when the original one popped straight back on. Apparently they do require some effort to fit but don't want to smash them, especially when they were weren't £30!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9028 on: 10 December 2018, 13:32 »
Finally washed it a different shade of grey  :smiley:

I do miss my Indium Grey, great colour. Really suits the R as well.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9029 on: 10 December 2018, 13:36 »
I saw it on an R which prompted me to change from Deep Black Pearl. Not regretted it at all  :cool:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA