Author Topic: A confession from Abu Dhabi  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Flooting

• Just got here
A confession from Abu Dhabi
« on: 10 August 2018, 16:35 »
Hi everyone.

I'm in the UK on holiday and I thought I'd join a decent GTI forum. The one back in Abu Dhabi is pretty lame.

Confession 1: I'm a total newbie but I already live my GTI 2011. I have kinda neglected it and I need to buy some bits. I'm here for a couple of weeks so I have time to look around. I bought it really cheap from a friend.

Confession 2: OK I mainly joined because I have no idea where the start with parts. Even the Haynes manual looks a bit expensive because I'm not going to do any of the maintenance. I'm useless at it.

Offline Flooting

• Just got here
Re: A confession from Abu Dhabi
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2018, 16:50 »
How can I even make sure the parts they're selling me are right for the car? Coz I'll be gone by the end of the month. A scanner is cheap enough (xtool etc) just to make sure that the garages aren't making stuff up. But for example ignition coils... I don't want to buy stuff that won't fit.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2018, 12:46 »
No offence, but if you won't be doing any maintenance then why worry? The responsibility is on the garage to fit the right parts. You simply pay what it costs for those right parts to be fitted.

You can always check back here if you have a query on a PN or similar when you are back home.

Offline Flooting

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2018, 07:27 »
I'll need to know what they're telling me is actually correct.
"We changed the flux modulator" is only just a bit more unlikely than "you need new glow plugs" to me at the moment.

The Golf is not as popular there as it is elsewhere and my service options are very limited. I don't want to get ripped off.

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2018, 10:17 »
Welcome to the club mate.

Am I right in thinking you've come from Abu Dhabi and you're here for a month or so and bought a car off a mate as a run around whilst you're here???
Or have you bought it with the intention to take it back to Abu Dhabi when you go back???

If it's the latter then I would suggest you just drive it like you stole it for a month and be done with it lol

In my opinion you would've been better off with a hire car for a month if you're not taking this Golf back.

Apologies if I've misunderstood your situation, this is just how I've read your post.
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi