Author Topic: Boat Yard Dubs, Project ABF!  (Read 19732 times)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Boat Yard Dubs, Project ABF!
« Reply #20 on: 29 January 2013, 12:48 »
Its funny how a Mk3 that looks ok, is being butchered to fit into a Mk2 that is a sh!tter!  :grin:

Corrected quote.

I also note you are using all of the Mk3 suspension, when all Mk2 owners say there handle better! :rolleyes:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #21 on: 29 January 2013, 18:47 »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2013, 20:07 »
ok i missed out on updateing last nite so ill do both days now.

Day 3

to day i wanted to get the survo off and all the wireing loom out aswell as drop the rear axel off with the brakes and suspension

it took a while to get the survo off but managed to after a but of fidleing and then found out that it was evan worse trying to get the loom  out. got there in the end tho with a lil help from screech16v.

after i did this i then picked the car up with the fork lift and took it outside to take the axel off.

i just undid the brake lines and cut the abs sensor wires. i undid the suspension top nuts and then all the axel bolts and it came off a treat.

that was all i did yesterday!

Day 4

well i have been told i need to have my cars out of the workshop on thursday for the day so i instead of takeing off the fuel tank and lines and the shifter tower off the mk3  i decided to drop the motor out of my mk2 so i can fit the new one tomorrow so i will be able to wheel it out thursday and work on it out the back.

first i had a tidy and made some smace for the mk2

so then i drove in the mk2 and begun taking it apart.

thats screech16v doing a wa*k sign lol as the motor is wa*k lol

bits comeing off

and then out it came with some help from screech 16v at the end of the day.

and that was enough for today.

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2013, 19:40 »
Day 4

today i started by removing my servo and master cylinder and getting my 1.3 wiring loom out. it didnt take very long and was a load easyer than getting it outa the mk3. i had to cut that loom open to get the wires for my wiper motor out and that was it. i was gonna feed the new loom in but then i thought i havent stripped and of the abf loom so i shud relli do that first. as its massive compared to what i had in lol

so i decided to leave that for now and sort out the manifold on the abf. it had no thred on one of the studs where the downpipe bolts up. so i tryed geting the stud out so i could replace it. i wound two nuts on locked them together and tryed to wind it out, but is snapped off lol

so i then got an extractor on it on a rachet and i got the oxy/asetalin bottles out and heated it up all around the stud to loosen it and treyed again. it snapped again but this time inside so i cudent get anything on it.

so i ordered new manifold to block gaskets and started to remove the manifold as i had another one i could use. all the nuts undid fine except the last one. the one you can only get a spanner on and not a socket. it rounded off so i didnt know what to do i was stuck and geting pissed off lol

in the end i got a 9" grinder with a cutting disc and cut the manifold off so i cud get at the bolt stright on with a socket and it came off. then found out the gaskets wudent arrive till the next day. so i cudent evan put it bk together.

then i set about moveing the car out of the workshop with out any wheels on which took ages and that was the rest of the day gone. was not a good day. but hey thats how it goes.

Day 5

today i started with geting the steering racks off the cars and seeing if the powersteering rack wud just bolt up to my mk2 but it wudent the splines were loads different so i didnt know how to make that work. so for now i have left my 1.3 rack on so i could bolt up my engine and get it on its wheels at least so it would be rollable. i wasent able to bring my car inside untill the afternoon so progress was slow and it wasent good i didnt think id get the motor in by the end of the day.

then the boss said at 4 oclock he wud stop doing boats and give me a hand, but he ended up doing my g/f's polo lol so screech16v stayed over and lended me a helping hand.

we proceded with the engine fitting.

once we got a few bolts in and cud shuffle it about on the forks to line up the other holes it was quite an easy fit. i had to change the front sub frame tho as it was nowhere near the same as the mk2 holes dunno who said they fit but it deffo didnt on mine. i bolted up my front sub frame to the abf before putting it in.

i then bolted my rack down and lenghtened the track rod arms as far as they wud so the wheels pointed in roughly the same direction lol so it would at least be moveable for now. this is only a temp thing i wudent drive it like that. bolted up the wheels and dropped it to the floor finaly back on four wheels.

i thought the jacks were still on but nope it was just relli high lol will need some coilovers soon.

Day7

today i went bk to the mk3 to get a few more bits off im going to need. it took a while as it was quite fiddly and as ive never took these things off i didnt relli know how to start but got there in the end. took the gear selector cables and shifter assembly. tried getting the clutch pedal out but just cudent work that one out will av another crack at that tomorrow.

i removed the fuel tank and the lines and also stripped out the fuel pump wires from the loom. that took bloody ages. lol

i started trying to figure out how to mount the rad and how to sort out the air box as it wont fit in the mk2 so will have to find another option.

thats it for today i think tomorrow i will get the rear axel changed over and the fuel tank and lines sorted and in the right place. maybe also start stripping the abf loom! God im dreading it lol but its gota be done.

Offline jimmydub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 09 February 2013, 19:25 »
so you got a lot done in that week then fella, hows it coming together now? you got much more done?

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #25 on: 28 April 2013, 21:00 »
Surely its time for an update on this!

Offline Leroy

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI Anniversary 16v
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2013, 08:52 »
Seems to be more tweaked dubs coming out of that boat shed than boats!!!  :laugh:

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 26 January 2014, 17:32 »
Ok its time!

Sorry its been so long updating this thread. i haven't fell of the edge of the earth.
the project hit some what off a brick wall and i moved jobs and now work in the welding and fabrication of railway machines. so i was no longer at the boat yard and no longer would i see my car everyday. I could still leave it at the boat yard tho as its my step dad who owns it. 

Soon after my new job me and my g/f moved into our own flat and the project just got put to the back of the cue. i kept putting it off and putting it off cuz i just didnt seem to have the drive any more, there was quite a few things on the car i cudent get to work right no matter what i did so when i left it i was already annoyed with it lol that's why i kept putting it off. i ended up moveing the car to my uncles house in the village where the boat yard is and there it sat for months and months.

Untill last weekend, for some reason i just wanted to spend it working on my car i asked if this would be ok but my step dad said no it wudent be possible he was busy and it wud be in the way at the boat yard so i cudent use the boatyard. i was gutted but i jus thorught oh well another week off wont hurt its sat for this long. the next friday (24/01/2014) tho was my birthday, 25 and
little did i know that he was planning. My sted dad Nick Thorpe and his team of Boat builders (Mark(screech16v), Daryl and Ryan.) The took the car from my uncles, moved it to the boat yard and began sorting out the bits and pieces that need finishing.  they managed to this this so soon the decided to go one step ferther.

So now its colour choice. im going to go with Danish blue LH5R for the car, the wheels will be 16inch bora steelies for now ion a bright white. its goning to be amazing.

Thank you so much to all the people who sorted this out for me. i am deeply grateful and carnt wait to get it finished off now. 

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #28 on: 26 January 2014, 17:47 »
Lol this is the kick start you needed ,now get it done!  :wink:

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 26 January 2014, 18:13 »
yes it was!! i carnt wait to be able to drive it its going to rule!