Author Topic: cняis's orange mk2 VR6 - Dash out P.42  (Read 84507 times)

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
Re: New ride - mk2 VR6
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2010, 22:06 »
if only I had enough space for a another car :sad:
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2010, 22:11 »
it was meant to be a daily runner (once suspension is sorted) but i think it will be the 2nd car after the tug-boat mk3  :lipsrsealed:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2010, 20:33 »
ok so a bit of an update (sorry no pics yet)

- Weitec Hicon GTN (coilover front/adjustable shock rear) suspension set up is fitted, handles like the tits as original setup was fubar'd  :lipsrsealed: needs adjusting as the front is a bit low (sump scrapage!) and the rear is a bit high.

- 2 new tyres as rears were slicks and 1 had a notch in the tyre wall right back to cords!

- Bought and fitted most of an ebay full lock set, so at least i have a key to open the door if the full closure alarm goes wrong!

- Replaced a load of missing trim items including the NSR door card upper plastic retaining strip. I modified a 3 door OSF one to fit no problem!

- New earth strap fitted but still have electrical woes, everything dims for a second when anything electrical is switched on i.e. lights or heater

- Oil and filter changed so sounds less clattery when hot  :rolleyes:

Next on the list is Mintex MB1144 (?) front pads, new rear door handles and a novelty (orange) gear knob!  :grin:

Also considering some black vinyls of some description... any thoughts?

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2010, 11:38 »
Nice Chris :afro: seen this car up in Chippenham when Ben had it!

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2010, 19:13 »
well its back in the workshop again today, clutch cable snapped at the pedal end, sourced another but the brackets at the g/box end need changing... cant get reverse at the moment, it all fouls up!  :grin:

at least if it ever goes again, i can fit another cable without adjusting anything, the clutch pedal has already been carved up to take a non-bodged cable  :afro:

oh well!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2010, 13:16 »
What clutch cable and set up are you running?

It *should* be running a SEAT Toledo 16V cable, gearbox bracket and actuator.  If it's anything else I'd be suspicious that the problem is a botched set up, not an old cable.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2010, 22:47 »
What clutch cable and set up are you running?

It *should* be running a SEAT Toledo 16V cable, gearbox bracket and actuator.  If it's anything else I'd be suspicious that the problem is a botched set up, not an old cable.

it seems it was both a botched cable and botched gearbox bracket. double whammy! the cable had a crappy universal brass eyelet grub-screwed on (pedal end). of course the grub screw ripped through the cable threads.

the pedal itself has now been modified to take a SEAT clutch cable (manual adjust) with the standard chunky nylon 'eyelet'. the gearbox bracket had been incorrectly made as the cable was fitted back to front. I've had the bracket modified to accept the cable the right way *without* fouling up on the gear selector arm thing when selecting reverse.

anyway here are some badly exposed pics taken today. the 13 gearknob sums up my luck with the car thus far!

the front end needs highering up a touch as the sump is quite low  :laugh: however i can get the power down much better with a proper suspension set-up  :smiley:

Oh and the camber/tracking needs doing as its very twitchy at the moment!
« Last Edit: 26 February 2010, 22:49 by cняis »

Offline DubFan

• I live here
Re: New ride - mk2 VR6 - New Pics Page 2!
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2010, 10:21 »
What's the gauge that's been mounted in the ashtray for ?
Doesn't look like it fits very well.

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2010, 11:27 »
What's the gauge that's been mounted in the ashtray for ?
Doesn't look like it fits very well.

quite... but that was already there  :wink:

that plate holds the fuel pump switch (for priming the pumps), push button start and oil pressure gauge. the guage isnt plumbed in so i doubt that will be staying. i'll need to be fabricating a more permanent mounting plate when i can be bothered!

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #19 on: 07 March 2010, 13:12 »
looking good...shame about the issues already...hope you have deep pockets with that mpg though  :lipsrsealed:

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi