Author Topic: 17 year old, third party on other cars?  (Read 9463 times)

Offline MarkS

• I live here
17 year old, third party on other cars?
« on: 01 August 2007, 19:32 »
Evening  :smiley:

I've been trying to get an insurance policy that allows me to drive other cars third party at my age.
I'm driving a 1.6 golf at the moment and am changing to comprehensive cover soon but would like the third party cover on other cars.
What companies do this please?
I've tried bell and they quoted £6000 so thats out of the question  :shocked:
Anywhere else do it?
I've had a search on this forum but i've had no luck finding any info unfortunately  :sad:

Thanks in advance for any help  :smiley:

Offline Andyfitz

• GTI forum regular
Re: 17 year old, third party on other cars?
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2007, 19:37 »
try quinn direct mate, I am with them exelent prices and they allow you to drive other cars on your third party policy.

www.quinn-direct.com

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2007, 19:52 »
Ta mate
Had an online quote which was something over £5000  :sad:
Might try ringing them up as thats meant to be more accurate...I hope  :wink:

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2007, 22:41 »
You will struggle to find anyone who will offer it at your age tbh mate. Why is it so important? If i was getting quotes of about £5k i would be more concerned with finding the best deal than getting driving other cars...... :huh:

Also dont make the common mistake that "driving other cars" is something you only get on comprehensive cover, many companies offer it on TPFT too. You age & occupation are usually more important in deciding whether you get it than the cover you choose.

Martin  :smiley:

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2007, 11:16 »
Its because I'm hoping to get an old mk2 to work on as project car and I want to go comprehensive also to build up a no claims bonus.
And my dad would insure the mk2 under his own name also so that it was properly insured too.
Well, that was the plan  :laugh:

I didn't realise tpft sometimes lets you drive other cars, that maybe something to look into  :nerd:
Thanks for the help  :smiley: I'm gonna ring quinn in a minute, see if talking to a real person is better than the online quote!

Offline GUY_GTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2007, 15:22 »
back when i was 17 i had tpft with cis and my policy allowed me to drive other cars too, not sure how things are with them now as that was 7 years ago

watch the sump ask guy he went over a some toilet paper and it carcked!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2007, 20:54 »
have a look at bell again with tpf&t, pass plus and your parents as named drivers. Knocks a few hundred quid off!

Offline jackass1989

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2007, 23:00 »
hey i just turnt 18 on the 31st and have just insured myself on my 1.3 golf with quinn for 1300 quid, takes da P*ss but it is good as they do insure u third party on other cars, any of you lot wannna lend me any gtis or vr6's haha.

Offline Andyfitz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2007, 00:50 »
Yeh when I first took my policy out with quinn at 19 it was £1700 on a 1.6 16v Vectra Premier.

However when I renew next year it will be with HIC most likely as quinn dont like engine mods at all  :drool:

MK2 VR on collies and shizzle  :cool:

Offline MarkS

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2007, 09:08 »
Thanks for the help guys  :smiley:
I tried quinn again online through '4youngdrivers' then i got a quote of £2500 and I thought this is too good to be true! Because thats the joint lowest quote I've had, with a company that doesn't let me drive other cars (Endsleigh)
So I rang them up and talked to a very rude woman and got it checked over and everything and specifically asked if I could drive other cars and they said its fine. But then I thought I'll just check the price cos I still couldn't believe it and she said yes its £2500 with you on a provisional license...
So I thought "yes its gonna be even less becauase I actually have a full license" so i told her and she goes "yeah thats now £4700"  :shocked:
Not entirely sure how passing my test makes me more dangerous, maybe cos I'm on my own, but there you go! Sure someone can shed some light on that one for me  :wink:
I might try ringing them again asking for a new quote because I still at least have the old quote number to fall back on

I'll try bell on tpft too, I'd rather be able to drive my mk2 than have a no claims I suppose

Thanks for all the help  :smiley: I'll keep trying