Author Topic: 18 y.o....mk2 gti 8v/16v  (Read 10587 times)

Offline chippy3

• Not said much yet
Re: 18 y.o....mk2 gti 8v/16v
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2010, 20:03 »
hmm, is it still worth a shot though???

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2010, 20:06 »
right, let me be a tad more direct

what you are doing is fronting

FRONTING IS ILLEGAL

its your car, take your own insurance out , YOU and YOU alone as the main driver

adding your mum as a NAMED SECOND driver

if you cant afford to pay for a mkII GTi then get a boggo pov spec car.

Simples

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2010, 20:07 »
hmm, is it still worth a shot though???

NO!!!

Get a cheaper car to insure, stick your parents on it and build up your NCB's and store the GTI or sell it on

EDIT - agree with the big man ^^^

Offline chippy3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2010, 20:18 »
Ohhh ok i see now :)....would it be different if i wasnt the registered keeper and my mum was, then i can get my mum too add me on after???? My gf, did a smilar thing, on her fiesta, her quote was 800 quid, but when her brother passed, she added him on and it only increased by 200 quid! bearing in mind this fiesta is 1.4 sport '08 plate..sorry to be a pain guys! :P

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2010, 20:20 »
Ohhh ok i see now :)....would it be different if i wasnt the registered keeper and my mum was, then i can get my mum too add me on after???? My gf, did a smilar thing, on her fiesta, her quote was 800 quid, but when her brother passed, she added him on and it only increased by 200 quid! bearing in mind this fiesta is 1.4 sport '08 plate..sorry to be a pain guys! :P

That's exactly the same thing............unless you are NOT the main driver and are NOT driving the car all the time i.e once a week and not every day

If you're using it every day for back and for work / college whatever then it must be YOUR car, in YOUR name, YOU as the registered keeper and YOUR insurance

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2010, 20:22 »
i give up

ITS YOUR CAR

GET YOUR OWN INSURANCE

IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT

tHEN GET A DIFFERENT CAR

and you need to add OLD people with a good driving record - not new young inexperienced drivers

i have 3 policies, 2 with 9 years plus

I reduce my daughters OWN POLICY by £350

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 October 2010, 20:27 »
Just get a cheap crap car, get your own insurance this is what I did when I passed my test many years ago.  Forget about going on your mums policy or vice versa.  Just go on your own and start building up your NCB.
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline chippy3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 08 October 2010, 20:39 »
Woaaah chill man :shocked: ...... ok cheers for the help guys, much appreciated :)

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2010, 17:27 »
A mate insured his pug 306 fully comp - which gave him third party cover on a vehicle NOT belonging to the policy holder. So he bought a nissan pulsar gtir, put it in his mums name and drove it 3rd party.. Also bought a honda express moped (in dads name) and used that. Got a tug in it, took the PEUGEOT doc's down the station, and no probs. However if that pulsar sits at the side of the road its technically not insured so could be towed away, he has to park it on driveway and in  proper off road car parks. My bosses son also insures his 200sx fully comp, and drives his passat daily, his dads evo etc. Got stopped in the evo by the interceptors sayin 'this cars only covering the policy holder' (his dad), but when he explained HE is insured when in it they let him go.now every1 will say that the car has to have insurance 4 u to hav ur 3rd party cover in it, but why? If U crashed it, it'd go thru UR 3rd party company to fix the other cars damage, not ur mums/dads etc, cos they didn't crash it, why should their (totally separate) ins company fork out 4 it?? I think its a loophole overlooked/ not fully understood. Any1 know more on this?

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2010, 17:33 »
Shouldve started a new thread really! Not much to do with 18 yo mk2 driver, was jus readin the end of it and it got me thinkin!!