Author Topic: Fred's Thoughts on Mk8 GTI ownership  (Read 16631 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Fred's Thoughts on Mk8 GTI ownership
« Reply #20 on: 05 March 2021, 10:31 »
:shocked:
Think i may just wait a year   :embarrassed:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 05 March 2021, 11:22 »
Really good to read your initial thoughts fredgroves, I’d been looking forward to this thread.

As SR says, it’s far more informative than the so called influencers to the layman who might actually be in the process of buying or considering doing so.

Cheers Exonian - owning a car and trying to review a demo one is entirely different.

I'm sure my opinion changed now vs my test drive earlier this year. I simply have had more time to consider everything at length.

The steering wheel is nice to hold, but that is something most reviewers don't seem to like. Weird sorts they are.

On the reflections, I think the Mk8 windscreen is more angled than the Mk7.5 one. Reducing aero drag.... that is the cause of the reflections I think.

The strobing white lines out of the side window I've not seen. Its going to be something to do with your seating position I guess vs mine. Of course if you drive faster they will blur more  :whistle:

On the AID, I too am long sighted now, much of what pops up on the AID I cannot read! The big speedo/rev counter (I use the one big dial view) I can read, the rest not so much.... I can read the HUD though. Worth it just for that!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 05 March 2021, 11:29 »
thanks for your very informative and entertaining writeup. i thorughly enjoyed it over my lunch time at work.  :smiley:

I cant believe they even cheap out on sunglass container  :sad:

A very disappointed that the cup holder can no longer be covered as i like my car tidy although this option is available in Chinese version of  Golf showing VW priority market.  :angry:

Thanks BJ.... yes some things are a little cheaper than they should have been. Its not really a deal breaker to me TBH and I guess they thought the same thing.

If that part is available on the Chinese model.... sounds like a perfect target for a sensible Mk8 owner mod. We'll have to look for the part number and see about doing a "how to" article. Think that would be popular!

it has been established in Germany that GTI build before week 48 with part NO 5H0035816B for the 1668, 1664 or 1666 can not be upgraded to part NO 5H0035820D with 1788 as they have different part number possibly different manufacturer.

People who have had their head unit in the Golf with 1666 exchange due to repeat problems this year from VW only received the 1668 installed but Android Auto still didn't work although they report a smoother and faster unit

This is very interesting.

Where do you find those part numbers?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 05 March 2021, 12:53 »
Actually, I can see where its shown - its under the system information.

5H0035816B is what I think all of us have in the UK.

I wonder if 5H0035820D is the "nav pro" hardware version? Although it won't look any different, the screens are the same.

If this is the case, then maybe this explains it.

I don't think anyone on here has NavPro - mainly because VW can't explain exactly what you get extra if you pay £1600.... I've been stung by that before, not about to gamble again.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 05 March 2021, 12:56 »
Aha!

Discovery Media 5H0035820D control unit with version 1788. There is also new Discovery Pro 5H0035816D build from week 48. Before there was only one model 5H0035816B that was either Media or Pro based on the software settings VW installed

Great :-/

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 05 March 2021, 13:03 »

If that part is available on the Chinese model.... sounds like a perfect target for a sensible Mk8 owner mod. We'll have to look for the part number and see about doing a "how to" article. Think that would be popular!

Where do you find those part numbers?
Unfortunately the cup cover slider can’t be retrofitted because the middle console is molded differently people have already looked into it in Germany
The problem is installation because the complete console including the cup holder etc. has to be replaced.  There is no space for the slider in the "European Golf".

The parts number are from users that have uploaded the pictures of there Software on motor-talk.de
https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/software-1666-oder-hoeher-erfahrungen-t6988358.html
If you use google Chrom everything will be translated to English
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 05 March 2021, 13:14 »
Aha!

Discovery Media 5H0035820D control unit with version 1788. There is also new Discovery Pro 5H0035816D build from week 48. Before there was only one model 5H0035816B that was either Media or Pro based on the software settings VW installed

Great :-/
There are several people without Discovery Pro with the new system since week 48 in Germany.
The same unit with 1788 5H0035820D  is installed.
The main different with Pro and  non Pro in Germany is that you can display map on both screen at the same time and Discovery  Pro user get 3 years live update install of one for people without the Discovery Pro
ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 05 March 2021, 14:09 »
Great write-up, Fred. 

I will sit down later and add my own 10p worth to the things you've spoken about.  I am just about to drop my Clubsport off for a new car prep & ceramic coating, so will be a bit bored for the next couple of days...  :undecided:
« Last Edit: 05 March 2021, 14:12 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 05 March 2021, 15:07 »
Thanks for taking the time to write Fred

The overall impression I get is that the mk8 is a different- and better- car than the mk7 ( I’m referring mainly to the driving).

Good to know. If I’m ever foolish enough to sell mine, there’s a better and newer alternative
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 05 March 2021, 15:54 »
BJ,

Yes, I thought adding the sliding cover would mean replacing the entire transmission tunnel piece... no doubt that part would be very expensive, plus of course for the UK it might not work for a right hand drive car....

Oh well!

On the difference between Discovery Nav and Pro, in the UK we get 3 years of "guide and inform" included - but UK GTI's are sold with loads of "options" fitted to the base model. In Germany they sell a very basic car and you have to pay for loads of things we get (eg IQ lighting, 3 zone air conditioning, parking sensors etc etc). Its not "free" but VW UK sell all of their GTI's (and GTE/GTD/R) with a high specification and always have.

So you see why I wonder what you get for £1600 if you order Pro.... and nobody actually knows yet. I had Pro on both of my Mk7 GTD's and basically felt ripped off both times to some degree! We unfortunately need someone to order it to find out what the difference is!