Author Topic: Fred's Thoughts on Mk8 GTI ownership  (Read 16641 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Fred's Thoughts on Mk8 GTI ownership
« Reply #40 on: 06 March 2021, 18:24 »
Hey Vw is the wake up word

I wondered about if you could change it, then wondered what I might change it to.

Then thought I'm not even going to see if its possible  :whistle:

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 06 March 2021, 18:26 »
What fuel are you using Fred? Standard unleaded or something more exotic?

Me? Pay for premium fuel?   :laugh:

I'm using standard 95.
seems a bit pointless buying a performance car and using standard petrol Fred.

I can't see the point of using higher octane than it needs, particularly not for 99% of my driving being nothing more than accelerating down the on ramp for the motorway...

Just burning money and when you are from Yorkshire that's a hanging offence!  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #42 on: 06 March 2021, 18:30 »
Hey Vw is the wake up word

I wondered about if you could change it, then wondered what I might change it to.

Then thought I'm not even going to see if its possible  :whistle:

Hey “hms weasel”

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 06 March 2021, 18:34 »
Brocky,

Great post!

I'll let you into a ACC secret.... you definitely need it set to minimum distance because if you don't everyone imagines that is a space they can pull into. When they pull into it, your car drops back.... repeat...repeat...

Even on closest setting its not too close in my opinion as a road warrior.

Did you try the Travel Assist? That's really neat!

I forgot to mention the touch sensitive overhead lights - those are ace! No more trying to work out which button turns the lights on!

I hear you on "comfort" is a bit relaxed and "sport" is a bit mad. I wonder whether individual mode with engine set to sport but the gearbox set to comfort might do it - that would improve throttle response but stick with the early upshifts. I'll have a play with that.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 06 March 2021, 21:53 »
What fuel are you using Fred? Standard unleaded or something more exotic?

Me? Pay for premium fuel?   :laugh:

I'm using standard 95.
seems a bit pointless buying a performance car and using standard petrol Fred.

I can't see the point of using higher octane than it needs, particularly not for 99% of my driving being nothing more than accelerating down the on ramp for the motorway...

Just burning money and when you are from Yorkshire that's a hanging offence!  :laugh:
your driving is probably why you need something like vpower. The additional cleaning additives will help in the long run. I know it goes against the grain but worth considering 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 06 March 2021, 22:22 »
Maybe if I was planning on keeping it, but I'm not. Well, not beyond three years.

I suspect three years on a whole pile of things will have changed...

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 07 March 2021, 00:19 »
Brocky,

Great post!

I'll let you into a ACC secret.... you definitely need it set to minimum distance because if you don't everyone imagines that is a space they can pull into. When they pull into it, your car drops back.... repeat...repeat...

Even on closest setting its not too close in my opinion as a road warrior.

Did you try the Travel Assist? That's really neat!

I forgot to mention the touch sensitive overhead lights - those are ace! No more trying to work out which button turns the lights on!

I hear you on "comfort" is a bit relaxed and "sport" is a bit mad. I wonder whether individual mode with engine set to sport but the gearbox set to comfort might do it - that would improve throttle response but stick with the early upshifts. I'll have a play with that.
Cheers, Fred.  You did most of the analysis, though.  I just added to it.

Yeah, I had the same train of thought with the ACC and other drivers.  I didn't try the lowest setting, just the one before, which I found ok.  I will try it and see how it is.

Didn't try Travel Assist.  What is it?  Isn't that the thing that pings up an error after a few minutes into every drive?  I can't have a look, as mine is with the detailer until Tuesday morning.

Hey Vw is the wake up word, and  you can set the heated wheel to remember your settings....to do it you have to do the opposite of what men do and read the manual  :laugh:
Cheers, Dave.  I'm sure I tried that, as it's the obvious thing.  I will try again.  It was definitely checked on in the settings.  Maybe it didn't work because I had Android Auto running as well...?

I will look it up when I am using that book thing to see what the score is with the heated wheel settings and also the mirror dip on reverse.  :grin:

I use Premium juice.  Even used it in my Astra SRi which wasn't exactly a performance car....but it used to only just scrape by in emissions tests and I was told it would help a little.  No idea if it did or not but I got another two MOTs out of it.  I figure it makes sense to use it in the Clubsport but I am not sure which to use.  BP & Shell seem to be the go-to brands.  I see more people talking about using V-Power over Ultimate but there's a BP on my commute and so that makes sense.  I reckon I will just stick with BP for convenience sake.  There can't be that much difference, can there...?
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 07 March 2021, 09:50 »
Brocky,

Travel assist... Read my description from earlier. I suspect you have actually used it lol.

On the fuel, a clubby needs 98, a gti doesn't.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #48 on: 07 March 2021, 12:06 »
Ah, ok. I have used the ACC, but not using the standard navigation, which I'm guessing needs to also be active for the whole Travel Assist thing to work? Maybe I'll give it a go but I'm not sure it'll make me switch from using Google Maps.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 07 March 2021, 17:05 »
Nah you don't need nav active. It just uses the map data and GPS position.