Author Topic: HOW TO: Retrofit an RNS510 Sat Nav System.  (Read 151626 times)

Offline p3eps

• I live here
HOW TO: Retrofit an RNS510 Sat Nav System.
« on: 22 April 2010, 07:10 »
Here is a quick guide on how to swap your stereo for a Sat Nav version.
It can be done in 10-15 minutes - and is VERY straightforward.

Tools Required:
A trim removal tool (or a butter knife and a cloth)
A T20 Torx Screwdriver

The first step is to remove the current stereo.  Simply stick your trim tool like in the photo above, and pop it.  The trim is only held on with 10 clips which just pop off.

Work your way up this side and round the top and bottom.  Once you have it open enough to get your fingers in then use them instead to save risking marking the dash.  The clips are pretty tough and need quite a big pull to get them off.

Once you get the trim completely off you can remove the 4 x Torx T20 screws that hold the stereo in.

The stereo will simply pull out.  Disconnect the big CAN connector, small MDI connector, and the twin aerial connector.

Put the stereo somewhere safe - NOT on your leather seats  :shocked:

The only difference in fitting is that the Sat Nav unit has a GPS antenna.  The easiest place to fit the antenna is up above where the stereo sits.  You can see in the picture above the RNS antenna is on the right.  I also have another GPS antenna on the left for my Micro RoadPilot.  If you put your hand up, you should feel the space.  My GPS antenna was just a little loose, so I stuck a few layers of electrical tape on the bottom of it to 'beef it up'!  Then it slotted in and felt very secure.

Here is a zoomed in picture of the antenna (before I covered its base in red electrical tape!).  The hole is basically in behind the air vents.

Plus all the connectors back into the stereo and gently slide it into its housing. 
Now its just a case of putting the 4 screws back in, and pushing the fascia back on.

Once the Sat Nav has been fitted you may find that not all of the features work straight away.  There are a couple of features like the directions on the MFD and steering controls that may need set up on your car that require either a VagCom cable or a trip to the dealer.
The dealer will be able to enable these features in a couple of minutes.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2012, 21:26 by p3eps »
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline p3eps

• I live here
Re: HOW TO: Retrofit an RNS510 Sat Nav System.
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2010, 07:10 »
***  Reserved for VagCom coding instructions (when I do them!) ***
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline mortygt140

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2010, 20:35 »
You can use this if you want mate saves you the trouble?

You need to go into Can Gateway I think its controller 19, on the controller screen go into the Installation List and go half way down the page to controller 37 and tick this then Save Coding, Go out of the controller.

Go into controller 37 Navigation and then into Coding and then Long Coding:

Byte 0 The first 2 boxes should not bit ticked, Unless you have CD changer/MDI media in or Aux in

Byte 1 This is for the sound system if you have an AMP installed or if you have Dynoaudio installed from factory:

Byte 2 This is how many channels you have working i.e front or back or front and back:

Byte 3 This is for the Mic Diagnostics if you have voice control and also if you have the badge camera in the back like a couple of people,

Byte 4 This is for speaker monitoring just incase there is a problem on one of them:

Byte 5 Is for the manufacturer speaker arrangement, this should be set to Linear for the VW's

Byte 6 This is not used in the coding:

Byte 7 Some of the bits in this Byte you may not have if your using f/w 1100 or lower but this is for MFSW, screen colours and comms to the highline. None of them should be ticked unles you have a mk6 golf or dont have voice control.
]

Hope this helps and just one more thing you cannot use any version of VCDS lower than 9XX

Cheers

Darren

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2010, 12:44 »
A video of how to retrofit the RNS510 as well as how to place the GPS in a concealed area above the air vents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpdnnNw4wlc

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2010, 07:26 »
Fantastic post, many thanks for sharing. I will be following your how-to in a couple of days when my RNS510 unit arrives :cool:

Offline woodman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2010, 17:25 »
But will VW dealers do this for you if you have retrofitted anything. My dealer won't even turn off the running lights. It seems as if VW have told them all to stop reprogramming what the clients want. :shocked:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2010, 19:01 »
Great guide to removing the set and the coding - thanks guys ;-)

Offline celticdragon

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2010, 09:36 »
Is this the same for replacing a RCD310 with a RNS510 (just got one  :smiley:)

Thanks
MK VI GTI, Manual, 5-dr, Carbon Grey, leather n rear parking....with rear LED lights...n a little Stage 1 Remap ;-)

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2011, 19:51 »
Is this the same for replacing a RCD310 with a RNS510 (just got one  :smiley:)

Thanks

Yeah - its an identical procedure.

Offline WHITEY20

• GTI forum regular
  • Love my new Golf
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2011, 20:01 »
My friend has vag-com versions 409.1 and 504.1, does anyone know if these will work to recode for the RNS510?

DSG, 18", P/A+cam, Winter/P, Lux/P, Dynaudio, FTI, Bi-Xenons