Author Topic: MK8 latest info  (Read 42470 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: MK8 latest info
« Reply #30 on: 23 January 2020, 11:09 »
I'd say the order books will be open by June if they are expecting "mid q4 deliveries" (assuming their year is Jan-December, if its April to April then its February at the earliest! and order books will open in August)

I'd go as far as to say they won't start accepting orders until after the Summer holiday shutdown you know...

I'm in the same boat as you BTW.... only mine is July. Mine's PCP though.

You won't have seen what one looks like in the flesh though or knowing VWUK the spec won't even be written down right for a month or so and the configurator won't be available either or have problems.

Its very flakey always at the start!

« Last Edit: 23 January 2020, 11:12 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline TonyJ

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 23 January 2020, 12:04 »
Hi fredgroves,

You are right. I ordered a GTD 7.5 virtually as soon as they were available. Remember "front foglight gate"  -  VWUK had incorrectly configured the UK models, so it arrived without front fog lights. Got £500 in compensation (eventually...)
Current - Golf GTD Mk8
Previous - T-Roc R
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7.5
Previous - Golf GTD Mk 7

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 23 January 2020, 12:24 »
And I still don't understand it after all these years - I can't think of any large OEM that has anything like the *routine* lead times as a factory VAG order (and all performance models are factory orders unless its ex-demo or a cancelled order hijacked mid flight).

There has to be a reason why, but its clearly not anything obvious like cost reduction because otherwise the others would be doing it too (any significant innovation around processes is copied by your competitors unless its patented).

It almost seems like its just bloody mindedness from VW/Audi (don't know about SEAT and Skoda) which has to result in a fair number of customers simply walking away.

From what I’ve read and people I’ve known ordering cars SEAT and Skoda orders take months and months too. A colleague has a current lead of about four months plus on a SEAT Arona.
When BMW dealers could get a new 1 series within six weeks even at launch it does beg the question. BMW are not exactly a small scale producer with limited demand.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 23 January 2020, 13:22 »
I think when you watch the Richard Hammond program from last week where he was at the Wolfsburg plant and was shown the size of their plant and a car produced every 16 seconds, you sort of understand why factory orders take so long - they just have so many cars to produce.

Not that I'm saying I'm happy with it when BMW can build a custom BMW in 4-6 weeks from order.

Know you been quoted 20 weeks for your TCR - My quote was same but was in the country 16 weeks from order and collected it at 18 weeks
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 23 January 2020, 14:14 »
When BMW dealers could get a new 1 series within six weeks even at launch it does beg the question. BMW are not exactly a small scale producer with limited demand.

Exactly. Mini are the same too - and they are built by communists near Oxford.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 23 January 2020, 18:39 »
I think when you watch the Richard Hammond program from last week where he was at the Wolfsburg plant and was shown the size of their plant and a car produced every 16 seconds, you sort of understand why factory orders take so long - they just have so many cars to produce.

Not that I'm saying I'm happy with it when BMW can build a custom BMW in 4-6 weeks from order.

Know you been quoted 20 weeks for your TCR - My quote was same but was in the country 16 weeks from order and collected it at 18 weeks
26 weeks I've been quoted for my TCR  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 03 February 2020, 20:45 »
No idea how accurate this is, but Carfile are listing prices and options for the Mk8 now;-

https://www.carfile.net/buy-your-car/volkswagen/golf_hatchback_mark_8.html
7.5 GTD

Offline Steve78

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 04 February 2020, 14:46 »
How much?!?  There's only so much a Golf is worth and those prices are insane.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 04 February 2020, 18:09 »
Golf Mk7.5 Hatch 5Dr 1.5TSI EVO 130 SS Match Edition 6 20MY was RRP £23,115....
Golf Hatch 5Dr 2.0TDI 150 SS Match Edition 6 20MY was RRP £25,320...

these aren't that much more expensive

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 04 February 2020, 18:21 »
£2300 is quite a lot in my book.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.