Author Topic: boot (trunk) light on dark side  (Read 2045 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
boot (trunk) light on dark side
« on: 16 December 2018, 18:46 »
Piling up stuff against the RH side of the boot means the rest is in darkness. Has anybody fitted a second light in the boot to avoid this?

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: boot (trunk) light on dark side
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2018, 23:16 »
You can buy a 12v strip of LED's that you can attach below the parcel shelf on a plug for if the shelf is removed. Then it will never be in darkness.

Offline sprinks

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2018, 19:03 »
I fitted a second one in.
IMG_20170719_084320 by VA Sprinks, on Flickr
Bought the oem connectors, added some repair wires and spliced it into the wire on the other side (both are led and i'm not worried about load).
I don't have a recent photo of the setup with the two LED setup. I'll post back later today.

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2018, 09:39 »
that looks very neat. The light fitting looks genuine. How did you source it? How did you route the wires? Thanks.

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2019, 11:31 »
I have bought some new festoon LED bulbs to replace the candlelight one. Unfortunately I can't get the transparent plastic light unit out of the mount in the boot. I realise it is cold and plastic is brittle. I have left the bulb on so that it warms the fitting up. But I still can only get the far side out a bit and the near side won't budge. I am reluctant to try any harder for fear of breaking the plastic.

Any ideas?

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2019, 15:43 »
These guys do great videos so here’s the led boot light install which should help you out.

https://youtu.be/lENU0MKVW3I
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2019, 18:58 »
Thanks, that is a totally relevant video.

However I tried doing exactly what is shown and my lamp housing is very reluctant to come further out than about 5mm at the back end.

A contributing factor must be the low temperature at the moment. I'll wait until it is warmer or put a fan heater in the boot for 5 mins or so.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2019, 19:46 »
Quick blast with a hairdryer on full should do the trick 👍🏼
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2019, 13:19 »
The warmer environment still did not help. I felt I was in danger of shattering the transparent plastic lamp holder. Instead I removed the opaque plastic surround which seems more robust and is held in by robust plastic ratchet mouldings. Once out I could see why the transparent lampholder was reluctant to budge except at the steering wheel end. It was held in by a robust metal spring. I could depress this easily with the surrounding mount out and everything disconnected. Then putting in the new led bulb was easy but of course I reverse polarised it on the first attempt.

All fine now, but I still wish there was a suitable moulding on the left hand side and wiring provision.

When all the main lights are led, it seems inconsistent of VW to leave tungsten filament bulbs in the boot and the front cubbyhole.