Author Topic: Door mirror glass just dropped out  (Read 21737 times)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Door mirror glass just dropped out
« Reply #40 on: 27 April 2020, 14:20 »
I used a thin layer of Fish Tank Silicone I had lying around for both of mine and had no issues at all.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #41 on: 28 April 2020, 12:16 »
Hi, what are you guys using to stick the new glass ?

Most of them come with adhesive/glue already on the back. Tempted to put a tiny bit of silicone on too to make sure it doesn't happen again

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 25 May 2020, 12:44 »
Just went for a drive, only the second time in about 4 weeks due to the lockdown. YEP, the damn glass fell off my driver side mirror today when I got to the bottom of the road driving at 30mph and smashed. Can confirm that it is just the glass, can see a slight bit of white where the glue/adhesive was but seems to have cleanly dropped off. What a joke.
My GTi is a 2013 and I bought it in December. Obviously mirror glass isn't covered under the warranty  :undecided:

Mine all fitted too https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Side-Wide-Angle-Mirror-Glass-for-VW-Golf-2012-2020-641RAS/173806854656?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Temped to order these ones if they're good?

Will also be getting a quote from VW as no one in this post seems to have a quote from them for just the glass alone.

:grin: £64 just for a bit of mirror glass, I don't think so. Also in the email where I asked for the item number for obvious reasons.

Anyone received a good Ebay one they'd recommend?.
Preferably the closest to the original the better. The blind spot area on the end is really useful, plus needs to be compatible with heated mirrors.

My bloody mirror fell off today too and thought I got away with it until I saw a chip on the edge.

Can anyone confirm if the eBay ones look identical to Vw ?

And do I want convex on the passenger ? Thanks
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 13:06 by Rob_benton »
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 25 May 2020, 14:15 »
Just went for a drive, only the second time in about 4 weeks due to the lockdown. YEP, the damn glass fell off my driver side mirror today when I got to the bottom of the road driving at 30mph and smashed. Can confirm that it is just the glass, can see a slight bit of white where the glue/adhesive was but seems to have cleanly dropped off. What a joke.
My GTi is a 2013 and I bought it in December. Obviously mirror glass isn't covered under the warranty  :undecided:

Mine all fitted too https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Side-Wide-Angle-Mirror-Glass-for-VW-Golf-2012-2020-641RAS/173806854656?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Temped to order these ones if they're good?

Will also be getting a quote from VW as no one in this post seems to have a quote from them for just the glass alone.

:grin: £64 just for a bit of mirror glass, I don't think so. Also in the email where I asked for the item number for obvious reasons.

Anyone received a good Ebay one they'd recommend?.
Preferably the closest to the original the better. The blind spot area on the end is really useful, plus needs to be compatible with heated mirrors.

My bloody mirror fell off today too and thought I got away with it until I saw a chip on the edge.

Can anyone confirm if the eBay ones look identical to Vw ?

And do I want convex on the passenger ? Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Side-Wide-Angle-Mirror-Glass-for-Volkswagen-Golf-7-2012-2020-0641RAS/173806854656?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought this one for my drivers side. I would assume the seller has one listed for the passenger side too if you have a look at their items. The fit is pretty much spot on, but that also depends on how good you are at sticking it on and getting it centre as I found out haha. Managed to stick mine on a tiny bit low but I tested it by adjusting the mirror in all directions and luckily it doesn't hit anything. It comes with the adhesive already on and seems to stick very well to the rubber heated mirror piece. As for the convex, you don't need it on the passenger side as you would be able to see the car without the mirror by looking out your window, only really need it for the drivers side but it's not essential. I like it tho.

Only thing I didn't like about the ebay replacement mirror was that it was slightly distorted in one corner. But for a £10 mirror vs a £60+ VW one you can't complain. It was minor as I didn't notice it until I stuck it on. Plus if it was worse I would've just asked for a replacement from the seller anyway. Ebay seller protection and all that jazz.

There was literally no glue on the rubber heating element from where my original mirror dropped out so it seems like whatever they are using to stick these on, it's crap. Probably worth pulling slightly on the glass every now and again just to see if it's a bit loose. If it is can just pull it off and stick it back on before it drops.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2020, 15:27 »
Thanks

I’ve ended up getting a genuine one off eBay £28 delivered.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #45 on: 26 May 2020, 15:59 »
Thanks

I’ve ended up getting a genuine one off eBay £28 delivered.

Was it new or used?  :cool:. Very good price tho as they are £60+ from a dealership

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #46 on: 26 May 2020, 18:28 »
New and still in box. Hopefully Vw use a glue that sticks these days ! Knowing my luck it’s old stock from 2014 !
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #47 on: 27 May 2020, 17:03 »
New and still in box. Hopefully Vw use a glue that sticks these days ! Knowing my luck it’s old stock from 2014 !

Do the genuine ones come with glue/an adhesive back or is it literally just the mirror?

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #48 on: 28 May 2020, 07:18 »

Do the genuine ones come with glue/an adhesive back or is it literally just the mirror?

It has the black plastic moulding stuck to the mirror.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 28 May 2020, 08:17 »
I can't believe I've just read 5 pages about a mirror glass.

This place used to be all about engine swaps in Mk1 and 2s and the ins and outs of setting up the K-jet injection system. Is this what the world has come to?  :grin:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.