Author Topic: Shed-esque Golf2 Syncro  (Read 145163 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Cheap-assed Golf2 Syncro track shed
« Reply #90 on: 12 August 2008, 22:22 »
When you going to chuck in a VR6 or 1.8T ?  :grin:

When they get a f*ck sight lighter.

Both of those motors are too heavy, unlike an ABF motor, which is about the only likely step up from here for me.

I've got a lot more adding of lightness and simplicating to do.  Big power isn't where it's always at.  If it's bone dry and you know the track backwards then maybe, but if it's moist and you're not 100% where the track goes then you'll have rather more fun with something light, with relatively narrow tyres and not that much power.

Plus if you attack the scenery you'll be going slower, so it should hurt less.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #91 on: 13 August 2008, 21:44 »
I was thinking with a 4WD system a 1.8T or VR6 would be sweet as fook, obviously i'm wrong  :embarassed:

You really got me looking for Syncro's now (if I can sell mine for a decent amount and if I get this work contract  :evil: ), I never realised they made carb versions, I thought people meant it as a general term for G60/Rallye 4WD systems.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #92 on: 14 August 2008, 00:27 »
Go read some reviews of 4WD cars - Audi, Subaru, whatever.  The recurring theme you'll find is reviewers saying 'intensely competent and fast, but very dull'.

The last thing my Syncro is, is dull.  It still needs a bit more power to make it properly entertaining, but it's a 4WD car, which is all about gentle slip-angles - it can be put into a four wheel drift and controlled on the throttle.  That's a driving on road/track drift, not a lurid drift-racing drift.  It's the 4WD version of lift-off oversteer - far more control-able and as much fun.  Far more fun in the wet, actually.

A big-power motor would be a lot faster, but would I have any more fun and would the car be as grin-inducing to drive? Possibly not. Would I get through lots more tyres, fuel and brake pads?  Definitely.

I've done four track days and eight laps of the 'ring (and there and back) and I've not changed the front brake pads yet and I don't drive like a pussy, either.  I also have two kids and lots of other demands on my cash.  Not burning huge amounts of cash running my project and still having a lot of fun is a major feature.

If you do buy a Syncro, bear in mind that the drivetrain is substantially lighter-weight and less durable than a Rallye or G60 Syncro - it's rod-change gearbox, rather than cable-change etc etc and you'll not be able to put much more grunt through the gearbox before it goes pop.  That's OK - I have a couple of spare rod-change 'boxes here though  :wink:.

Syncro is only VW's 80s-90s brand name for 4WD.  Sometimes viscous-coupling controlled (Transporter of Golf), sometimes torsen diff-controlled (Passat).

The 5 door carb version was the only RHD version available.  They only sold 650 of them, but they mostly went as second cars to terribly nice people, or to old farts, who live down rough old lanes, or up mountains - people who wanted the 4WD to make sure they got home, or got away from home.  Given the demographic of these people the Syncros are still popping out of the woodwork as these old buggers die off, or trade up to a Subaru.  Judging by the amount of dog-hair in the back of mine (still in some folds in the bodywork of the boot) it spent the first 15 years of it's life taking laboradors out for their walk.  Terribly nice people, see.  If only they knew.....  :evil:

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #93 on: 14 August 2008, 20:38 »
Just spotted one being broken on ebay  :sad:
I emailed the seller to see why it's being broke as they say engine, box etc are good, exterior is good... will see what they say.

Get some action footage of your syncro drifting  :wink:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #94 on: 14 August 2008, 21:00 »
This is a bit far away, but you get the idea.

Ewetube link

I might know of a Syncro across in the Deep West...... depends whether you have a budget  :tongue:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #95 on: 15 August 2008, 11:10 »
Bit of a shock, but it just passed it's MOT first time, with no issues.

:shocked:

I wasn't ready for that!

Good job I have another Golf to throw at them this afternoon, which is unlikely to do the same..... :cry:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #96 on: 15 August 2008, 14:39 »
Best MOT advisory EVA:

001 Car presented with no rear seats, no rear seat belts and no carpet. Engine modified obviously, used for track days.

and then front to rear metal brake pipes rusty and the third:

003 4 wheel drive

Nice.

Offline mattneck(Beavis)

• I live here
  • Bristol's Own (DJ) Beavis ;-)
« Reply #97 on: 15 August 2008, 14:53 »
Best MOT advisory EVA:

001 Car presented with no rear seats, no rear seat belts and no carpet. Engine modified obviously, used for track days.

and then front to rear metal brake pipes rusty and the third:

003 4 wheel drive

Nice.

One of the lads downstairs when I told him this said 'what the f**ks that got to do with the MOT? the testers obviously a knobstain'  :grin:
Sig Removed. No Longer Applicable. New Sig? Nah. Not Yet..

Sharpo says: (16:57:39)
to be honest i dont doubt that half ggti users have a shortcut on their desktop for sharpie's last posts

sharpie

« Reply #98 on: 15 August 2008, 15:45 »
did you take it to that garage at filton i used? i got advisories for no rear seats, no seat belts.

the 4 wheel drive one is unusual to say the least.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #99 on: 15 August 2008, 16:39 »
Nah, I took it to what was QAS - is now a National Auto Centre.

Danny's failed.

Not by much though.