Author Topic: Shed-esque Golf2 Syncro  (Read 146082 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Golf2 Syncro 2.0i 8V crossflow running on Megasquirt
« Reply #290 on: 17 March 2010, 07:56 »
stop being a pussy and stack the gaskets  :tongue:

your car is heavier and has more traction than a normal golf, therefore it needs more power!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #291 on: 17 March 2010, 13:19 »
So to turbo an 8V all I need to do is stack a couple of headgaskets, yeah?

So I won't need to spend hundreds of pounds on an exhaust manifold, turbo, intercooler, pipework and associated bits?

If it was just stacked gaskets I'd be there already, but unless you or anyone else has the above just lying around and wants to hand it over for buttons I'm going to hold off spending money I don't have right now.

Especially until I've finalised what the f*ck I'm doing about the cage install.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
« Reply #292 on: 17 March 2010, 13:43 »
but unless you or anyone else has the above just lying around and wants to hand it over for buttons I'm going to hold off spending money I don't have right now.

Jay has a gtd thats sitting doing nothing with those bits on  :lipsrsealed:
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #293 on: 17 March 2010, 13:59 »
That I do, but I was told the Diesel turbo's are different to petrol turbo's which is why I turned down a free engine  :lipsrsealed:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #294 on: 17 March 2010, 17:27 »
diesel turbos are to small.

but in the shed amongst the dragons there are boost makers
« Last Edit: 17 March 2010, 17:28 by danny_p »
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #295 on: 17 March 2010, 19:47 »
Did you buy the MS as a kit and build it up yourself? If so how much and where from?

Or buy it fully assembled and if so how much and where from?

Pm me if you don't want to let everyone know the costs (or how cheap you are :grin:) Been offered a set of ITB's and need to look at the extra costs.

Also interested to see if you can set up the tuning yourself via laptop or whether you are going to need it set up on a rolling road tune - no doubt you and Danny will astonish me and get it set up between you both.

Keep up the good work.

Paul

Offline maxp

• I live here
  • J reg 8v digi gti
« Reply #296 on: 17 March 2010, 20:02 »
Sorry for a totaly noobie question, but a syncro is a four wheel drive golf right? Were/Are they rare? An expensive 'extra' option? A limited edition? Ive had a look on google but there isnt much info.

Interestingly enough I saw a white one like this in Watford a few weeks ago.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #297 on: 17 March 2010, 22:21 »
syncros are 4wd,  650 RHD ones were made many more in LHD   and yus they were expensive  more £ than a 16vgti  iirc

oops edited
« Last Edit: 18 March 2010, 00:36 by danny_p »
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #298 on: 17 March 2010, 22:36 »
H'mmmm, turbos.  We'll just have to see what appears on the IOW this summer, but the priority has to be safety before any further significant sums go on motive power.

Sorry for a totaly noobie question, but a syncro is a four wheel drive golf right? Were/Are they rare? An expensive 'extra' option? A limited edition? Ive had a look on google but there isnt much info.

650 RHD Golf Syncros were built and delivered into the UK.
115 RHD Jetta Syncros were built and delivered into the UK.

It was a CL spec Golf running a 1.8 carb motor that cost about the same as a 16V GTI.

It was available 87-91.  The Golf3 was only available with Syncro transmission in LHD format.

Did you buy the MS as a kit and build it up yourself? If so how much and where from?

I bought it as a kit, with a loom.  I bought the wideband control box as a kit.

The MS kit and loom cost about £200.
The Wideband lambda cost about £100, plus £70 for the sensor.
I just spent £100 on connectors, the new fusebox and mini-blade fuses.  I had sufficient relays so I didn't need to buy any.

DannyP's built both boxes....... well he actually built my MS box, the one for the MG and his..... and the wideband control boxes for all three motors.

Also interested to see if you can set up the tuning yourself via laptop or whether you are going to need it set up on a rolling road tune - no doubt you and Danny will astonish me and get it set up between you both.

The wideband should enable us to get the fueling right throughout.  That's the reason it was bought.  We need a base ignition map to work with.  REALLY good knock boxes are seriously expensive.  Danny's working on a knock solution, but it's not there yet, so the auto-tune for the ignition map isn't ready to go yet.

So, we can get the fueling set up on the road, with a laptop and some cunning software.

Could I have done it without DannyP?  

No.  

Watching him apply resistors and diodes to the loom to protect the ECU and deliver clean signals to it, you need to have serious and extensive experience of this kit.  In addition to that you need the ability to understand how an engine should sound and why it sounds like it does, so you can get things up and running initially.

If it had been me on my own I would have needed to buy a pre-built kit and stick to a proven set of sensors etc, or I'd have been scrabbling about in the dark VERY gormlessly.  I would have probably headed off down the Emerald or other non-open source route and there's nothing wrong with that..... except you're hog-tied into the whole package and the vendor supplied bits..... and some of those bits are seriously marked up!

Don't get me wrong - I pulled out the loom from a Subaru Legacy and got it sorted to run in my T25 Syncro, but this is so far ahead of that in tech and knowledge requirements it's untrue.

ITBs, h'mmm.  Danny's got a set he's testing on his ABF, so it'd definitely be worth your while talking to him about them.   If you needed a stub manifold to suit, Dave at www.futbus.com would be able to help out - he did the one for the MG.

Talk to Danny about a solution for your car, but you'll need to take it to a rolling road to get it dialed in properly whoever builds the management package for it.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #299 on: 17 March 2010, 23:06 »
Hmmm - thanks for the info.

Well beyond my colour blind inept electrical abilities. I was hoping you would say its all very complicated but ok if you follow the instructions carefully.

All sounds very complicated but should be well worthwhile in the end.

Off to look up Emerald units now.

Cheers

Paul