Author Topic: Am I the next victim?  (Read 29050 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Am I the next victim?
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2013, 13:09 »
I was going to leave mine another year but the frequency they are dieing now I think I should change the tensioner over this winter. Just need to reread that thread to gather all the part numbers again and get the parts ordered up.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 08 December 2013, 09:17 »
Just read this and now ask dealer for a price to replace chain and tensioner. Mine has started to rattle for one second on start up when cold only, and don't want the hassle of replacing engine. Is the symptom I describe similar to others? And what exactly is the rattling? I used to own vauxhalls which rattled due to lack of oil. Currently mine is a 59 plate with 49k.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #22 on: 08 December 2013, 09:24 »
Do a search with my user name ive explained this so many times now how it works and what goes wrong...
Expect a 1200 pound bill from the dealers for chain and tensioner replacement. If I was going to replace a chain I would always replace the sprockets too as they ware together.....
Get an independent to just change the tensioner for around 300 much cheaper.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2013, 09:27 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 08 December 2013, 12:20 »
There is nothing wrong with your chain tensioner only!

As snoopy says loads of threads with whats going on, I would take it into a VW garage and get them to look at it and if they say nothings wrong get it in writing, they can't ignore that fact this is happening and when a customer has the symptoms (start up rattle) then they shouldn't be turning a blind eye.

At least if you do this then WHEN it does go because IT WILL then you get a new engine and you have something in writing to back your claim up.

Basically I think this is shocking how a company like VW can have this happen and have poor bastards foot the bill, I know people on here say its not a big deal and there is only a handful of people this has affected but really how many times has this probably happened to someone who isn't a member of this forum or any forum for that matter and they just take it on the chin and pay up... I'll bet a few...
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 08 December 2013, 13:24 »
Has anyone had this happen who has had their cars mapped, can imagine this would start to get more difficult for claiming?
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #25 on: 08 December 2013, 13:35 »
Has anyone had this happen who has had their cars mapped, can imagine this would start to get more difficult for claiming?

Remap doesnt cause the failure. VW have to prove its the map at fault. The fact this is happening to standard cars says enough

Equally you got to be firm in your stance with VW. IMO no one should be paying to put this right

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 08 December 2013, 16:18 »
Thanks all, have emailed the dealership, but also contacted a VW independent locally to compare. Will let you know what they say. Can I just clarify why replacing the tensioner alone would not cure it? I thought the issue was the fact that it was not tensioning? And then allowing the chain to jump?
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 08 December 2013, 17:39 »
Update:

Car was towed to a VW garage near my works on Thursday. The RAC bloke who collected it was an ex VW technicican and knows VW's inside out, he said he had never heard of this failure and couldn't believe how much I knew on the subject!

Anyway I got a phone call off VW on Friday (after I'd had a skin full of ale on my Xmas do!) I listened to the voicemail they left....

"Even though you have an extended warranty I have to authorise the initial diagnostics which is 4 hours labour, total of £450  :shocked:"

Not a good start, I rang them back on Saturday and was told someone would be in touch but I've not heard anything yet.

If I pay the £450 will I be able to claim it back?
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #28 on: 08 December 2013, 18:16 »
Tell them where to stick their diagnostic charge!!!!

Thats over £100 an hour  :angry:

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 08 December 2013, 19:10 »
Tell them where to stick their diagnostic charge!!!!

Thats over £100 an hour  :angry:

Yup what a joke! :angry:

No need for diagnostics, I've already told them whats wrong  :whistle:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!