Author Topic: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement  (Read 19459 times)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
Re: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement
« Reply #40 on: 10 February 2019, 14:25 »
Very sorry to hear of your misfortune sandsy. Whoever violated your home will hopefully get their comeuppance.

Just so you know, new GTi's are now coming with keyless entry as standard, so if you're considering one you may wish to think about some additional security measures for added peace of mind.

I hope they are coming with an on/off switch on the fob?.I know car manufacturers are working on a system that stops the fob transmitting when it's not moving (i.e on your kitchen table).But i don't know how far that tech is in development.
If VW haven't done anything than that's just plain madness.
If you want, you can switch off Keyless on the 7.5.

To spread the awareness for those that don't know. Lock the car with the fob, then within 5 seconds press the keyless button/sensor on the door handle. That switches off the keyless-entry system until the next time you unlock the car with the fob. Perfect for when leaving the car overnight or if in a particularly vulnerable place. :)

Really? All that does is unlock my 7.5 again  :huh:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 10 February 2019, 15:35 »
Very sorry to hear of your misfortune sandsy. Whoever violated your home will hopefully get their comeuppance.

Just so you know, new GTi's are now coming with keyless entry as standard, so if you're considering one you may wish to think about some additional security measures for added peace of mind.

I hope they are coming with an on/off switch on the fob?.I know car manufacturers are working on a system that stops the fob transmitting when it's not moving (i.e on your kitchen table).But i don't know how far that tech is in development.
If VW haven't done anything than that's just plain madness.
If you want, you can switch off Keyless on the 7.5.

To spread the awareness for those that don't know. Lock the car with the fob, then within 5 seconds press the keyless button/sensor on the door handle. That switches off the keyless-entry system until the next time you unlock the car with the fob. Perfect for when leaving the car overnight or if in a particularly vulnerable place. :)

Really? All that does is unlock my 7.5 again  :huh:
Yup, I'll DM you a link to a little video I just did to show how...

:smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 10 February 2019, 23:25 »
Well my car has been recovered. But has been used in other robberies and is damaged. Headlight smashed and bumper and wing scuffed and dented. Also key not recovered. Not sure how I feel about it and not sure how long it will be until I get it back. It needs forensics then released to insurance company and then repaired. On the positive side my wife's bag was still in it alongside a lot of other stolen gear apparently!!!

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #43 on: 11 February 2019, 09:08 »
Well my car has been recovered. But has been used in other robberies and is damaged. Headlight smashed and bumper and wing scuffed and dented. Also key not recovered. Not sure how I feel about it and not sure how long it will be until I get it back. It needs forensics then released to insurance company and then repaired. On the positive side my wife's bag was still in it alongside a lot of other stolen gear apparently!!!

I guess you don't have a choice regarding it being repaired? It won't be a write off with that damage.

I believe there is no way of avoiding the "stolen recovered" flag from the insurance database which can be a big problem with resale.

What you need to carefully do is to get a full evaluation inspection and keep a copy of it. Have them check everything and document it - so you can prove later that the nature of the damage was minor cosmetic and not the thing bent in half.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 11 February 2019, 09:21 »

That must be nearly as bad as having it stolen in the first place..  :sad:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #45 on: 11 February 2019, 18:42 »
I don't think I get a choice. Need police to do their stuff and release it to the insurers for assessment. Seems to have been a part of a bigger picture of criminal activity and not just a car theft so might take a bit longer. I have a friend in the car industry, I might see if he can get someone in VW to assess the car if possible.

If the car comes back repaired and is in good enough condition I can live with it as I was planning on keeping it for a while so hopefully I won't lose too much long term.

Still been a right pain in the backside. Too much admin

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 11 February 2019, 19:03 »

I guess you don't have a choice regarding it being repaired? It won't be a write off with that damage.

I believe there is no way of avoiding the "stolen recovered" flag from the insurance database which can be a big problem with resale.

What you need to carefully do is to get a full evaluation inspection and keep a copy of it. Have them check everything and document it - so you can prove later that the nature of the damage was minor cosmetic and not the thing bent in half.

If it's PCP'd, I'd be giving it back end of term or pxing it within VW network for something else rather than trying to sell on the that stolen/recovered tag.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 11 February 2019, 20:47 »
I don't think I get a choice. Need police to do their stuff and release it to the insurers for assessment. Seems to have been a part of a bigger picture of criminal activity and not just a car theft so might take a bit longer. I have a friend in the car industry, I might see if he can get someone in VW to assess the car if possible.

If the car comes back repaired and is in good enough condition I can live with it as I was planning on keeping it for a while so hopefully I won't lose too much long term.

Still been a right pain in the backside. Too much admin
Tell your insurance company where you want the car repaired after the police are finished with it a forensic examination usually takes between 3-7 days to give one of them time to check for fingerprints and stuff  :smiley:

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 11 February 2019, 20:57 »
Good luck Sandsy. This sounds like a nightmare. I always thought I’d want mine back but not sure nowadays. Hope you get everything sorted.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #49 on: 11 February 2019, 21:22 »
certainly had better weeks - thanks everyone. Advice and thoughts been greatly appreciated - will keep up to date with goings on