Author Topic: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement  (Read 19465 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTI Stolen - thoughts on replacement
« Reply #30 on: 09 February 2019, 14:14 »
Thanks for the advice / thoughts / sentiments. Just to absolutely clear - if you take the PCP do you have to pay it in 14 days cooling off (i probably would anyway) or can you do it anytime.

You can pay your PCP off any time after the 14 days, but you'll have already been paying a big chunk of PCP interest every month, and you'll have to pay 2 month's worth of penalty interest on top.

Pay on days 1 - 14 and it'll cost you £4 a day. Ask for a settlement on day 15 and you'll be paying £350ish in interest.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #31 on: 09 February 2019, 15:13 »
Exactly what monkeyhanger said :wink:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 09 February 2019, 15:27 »
https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen/personalised-registration-number

Hi all - can anyone help with this. I have printed the forms (V317) and completed option B. But it says  to also send the V5 away with it. Does anyone understand if i need to complete anything on the V5?

I assume that i will then get a new V5 back with my normal (old) reg, then depending on what happens with the insurance i will then need to send this back saying i have sold to insurer if they settle?

I tried to call them but lines are busy and they close in 20 mins. So will try again on Monday morning.

Nothing needs doing with the V5 - it gets destroyed and you get a replacement with the new/old reg :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #33 on: 09 February 2019, 15:43 »
https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-your-vehicle-has-been-stolen/personalised-registration-number

Hi all - can anyone help with this. I have printed the forms (V317) and completed option B. But it says  to also send the V5 away with it. Does anyone understand if i need to complete anything on the V5?

I assume that i will then get a new V5 back with my normal (old) reg, then depending on what happens with the insurance i will then need to send this back saying i have sold to insurer if they settle?

I tried to call them but lines are busy and they close in 20 mins. So will try again on Monday morning.

Nothing needs doing with the V5 - it gets destroyed and you get a replacement with the new/old reg :)
.......and then the year wait until you get your cherished plate assigned back to you, I really didn't like that as my plate has been in the family for over 60 years.

Offline sandsy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 09 February 2019, 16:36 »
thanks for the replies - re 12 months to get plate back on. I have read that on various sited but the dvla link i posted states the following:

If you do not get your stolen vehicle back

You must wait 6 months before you can transfer your private registration number to another vehicle. You can only do this by post.

So has it changed or is this just incorrect?

What a faff!!!!!! :angry:

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 09 February 2019, 18:00 »
Hopefully it is only 6 months now  Sandsy, it was June 2016 when mine was stolen. I hope if you ring you don't get the same numpty I had ... 'do you know where your car is?'  'If you can't prove where it is you may not get your plate back".....

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 09 February 2019, 21:38 »
Sorry to hear about your bad news Sandsy.Too close to home for me.Our part of Scotland has had it relatively quiet regards car theft over the years .But i think we are now seen as fair game for the Edinburgh/Glasgow bad boys.Been a few recently in Grangemouth (M140i,CLA45 AMG).Even took a minter Mk2 Focus RS off the forecourt at Arnold Clark Merc Grangemouth.
I don't think your car being keyless would have made any difference with them breaking into your house.The relay method has still to take off up here.Most are still being done by burglary/theft of keys.
Know what you mean about lack of options on most GTI's.Most folk just order them with the (already standard) big spec.
Garaging is definitely the way forward.
Hope you get it all sorted out soon.Get yourself an R and tuck it away at night.Do not let the swines win!.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2019, 21:42 by Restlessnative »
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 09 February 2019, 21:52 »
Very sorry to hear of your misfortune sandsy. Whoever violated your home will hopefully get their comeuppance.

Just so you know, new GTi's are now coming with keyless entry as standard, so if you're considering one you may wish to think about some additional security measures for added peace of mind.

I hope they are coming with an on/off switch on the fob?.I know car manufacturers are working on a system that stops the fob transmitting when it's not moving (i.e on your kitchen table).But i don't know how far that tech is in development.
If VW haven't done anything than that's just plain madness.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2019, 21:54 by Restlessnative »

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 10 February 2019, 09:40 »
Very sorry to hear of your misfortune sandsy. Whoever violated your home will hopefully get their comeuppance.

Just so you know, new GTi's are now coming with keyless entry as standard, so if you're considering one you may wish to think about some additional security measures for added peace of mind.

I hope they are coming with an on/off switch on the fob?.I know car manufacturers are working on a system that stops the fob transmitting when it's not moving (i.e on your kitchen table).But i don't know how far that tech is in development.
If you want, you can switch off Keyless on the 7.5.

To spread the awareness for those that don't know. Lock the car with the fob, then within 5 seconds press the keyless button/sensor on the door handle. That switches off the keyless-entry system until the next time you unlock the car with the fob. Perfect for when leaving the car overnight or if in a particularly vulnerable place. :)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #39 on: 10 February 2019, 12:40 »

If you want, you can switch off Keyless on the 7.5.

To spread the awareness for those that don't know. Lock the car with the fob, then within 5 seconds press the keyless button/sensor on the door handle. That switches off the keyless-entry system until the next time you unlock the car with the fob. Perfect for when leaving the car overnight or if in a particularly vulnerable place. :)

That's a giant leap forward.