Author Topic: Styling - Wheels  (Read 5835 times)

Offline TETSUOXGEZ

• Not said much yet
  • "If in doubt, flat out"
Styling - Wheels
« on: 21 September 2014, 22:20 »
I've really been taken by the idea of running powder coated steelies...

Does anyone know what sizes are the wheels in the pics below... or at least a ruff idea on what car they come from?

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: Styling - Wheels
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2014, 15:23 »
First ones are 18" TT space savers that have been banded. Second ones are also banded, possibly 16" beetle steels, not sure about the 3rd and the others are 4x100 so useless.

Offline TETSUOXGEZ

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2014, 23:30 »
Thanks for the info, just been doing some reading and there is a lot og info on the Banded rims being illegal now :(

Is this correct?

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2014, 21:22 »
nope.

banded wheels are legal, the same as a cracked alloy being welded to repair is legal, so long as the wheel is up to the job and not in an unsuitable condition, i.e. welded by someone who has never done welding before.

if your going to go for banded wheels, don't go for cheep ones.

to give you an idea of cost, just to get 4 wheels banded should cost you £200-£300.

in reality, a set of banded steels don't cost much less than an average set of alloys.

Offline TETSUOXGEZ

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2014, 23:28 »
nope.

banded wheels are legal, the same as a cracked alloy being welded to repair is legal, so long as the wheel is up to the job and not in an unsuitable condition, i.e. welded by someone who has never done welding before.

if your going to go for banded wheels, don't go for cheep ones.

to give you an idea of cost, just to get 4 wheels banded should cost you £200-£300.

in reality, a set of banded steels don't cost much less than an average set of alloys.

Thanks for the info, shame... i think they do look really nice, but i think i'll find some deep dish enki's or somthing along those lines :)