Author Topic: Couple of random questions about my TCR (or any 7.5 I guess)  (Read 1875 times)

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
As said - some random questions you may be able to help with...

1) Occasionally when I start up and drive off I hear a sound from the font left which is kind of like a windscreen wiper makes when it doesn't glide across the windscreen.  Only once and then I don't hear it again - is this something like aircon engaging or something?  I haven't managed to isolate the sound any further yet.

2) When I wash my car (which is on a nose down angle due to my drive) a LOT of water builds up at the bottom of the windscreen in the valley between it and the bonnet.  It clears eventually, but never see it like this on any car I have owned.  Is this normal?  Just wondering if it would cause a problem in worse weather (snow, heavy rain etc)?

Thanks...
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
The noise is some sort of pump pressurising. Steering maybe? It's normal.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Is the noise not the actual wiper blade moving on the screen? It's to stop the blades sticking to the screen.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
Is the noise not the actual wiper blade moving on the screen? It's to stop the blades sticking to the screen.

It certainly sounds like it but haven't remembered to check when I drove off the last couple of times due to lack of driving at the moment.

Does it move them slightly every time then?
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
The wipers drop slightly soon after starting, keep your eye on them next time you start and you'll see it. It might be just as you start moving. The gully between the screen and bonnet only has a drain at one end so a slight lean to the other side might be the answer or perhaps there is a blockage. I found a small bone in mine earlier in the year!
« Last Edit: 31 May 2020, 17:38 by Watts »
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
I get the start up noise, sometimes louder than others, so the wipers moving may be it.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
Thanks everyone. Will check wipers (if I manage to remember) next time I drive off.

The car is on as slight angle so that probably explains the water but will check as it does sit for some time when washing the car off.

Think I am still hyper sensitive to these things after having door handles replaced and a leaking door.
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass