Author Topic: blgdave - mk1 cab resto  (Read 12722 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
blgdave - mk1 cab resto
« on: 27 August 2006, 20:28 »
Here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
Re: blgdave - mk1 cab resto
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2006, 09:20 »
Thanks for that fella!!

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2006, 09:26 »
Well, I suppose I should start off my new thread by just letting some pictures do the talking?
I tend to take snaps of just about everything when I restore cars so end up having hard drives full of them.

This is my first Golf since my Mk1 GTi owing days about 18 years ago, how time flies!

This car is a later spec Cab but non the less its still a Mk1 in my eyes and has been in the wars a little over the years. I took the car over from my brother as a lumpy running project car with a box of bits and a file of history going back over the past 12 months showing all mechanical work that had been done to get the mechanics orted before cosmetcis were carried out.

I will list the mechanical fixes later, so for now here is the poor old girl as she currently stands...

May not look too bad in the pictures but here are a few battle scars around the eges to iron out. But there is no major rust and under the grime of the engine bay and underside is solid steel just waiting to be cleaned up!

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2006, 09:34 »
Interior is quite smart with the front seats having already been retrimmed by the previous owner to my brother...

Just needs a good clean out and hoover and some stain removal on the seats really?

I have already sorted out the stereo and now a working and unrattling CD player sits in the dash. I have also plans to fit auxillary guages for water temp, oil temp and oil pressure.

One of the glove box hinges is also broken so rather than fit the whole new dash I have as a spare I intend to fix the bracket up myself. Will post pics as and when this is done.

I dont intend doing any further work inside the car other than a good clean out as I like the way Mk1's look anyway.

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2006, 09:41 »
Sadly the roof has been attacked by some fool with a knife!!

Near side locking mechanism is also not working so will need some attention...

Headlining has a few small puncture points in it but once the whole thing is cleaned back to white (its currently mingin!) these should dissapear. I can even fill them in with a flexible repair if they still show.

At least one of the tension cables is also broken so will swap both these over when I fit the new roof. Already have a new roof to fix on so loong at doing this on my return from the Ring.

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2006, 09:49 »
As you will see there is a clipper kit fitted but this has been done badly and also has a few knocks in it. So the whole thing is coming off to be stripped and the brakets sorted out.

There are also about five aread of dents in the body so these are to be pulled, formed and then the whole car repainted in the same colour. Of course the body kit is being done atthe same time.

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2006, 09:52 »
Eagle eyed views may also spot that the rear quater has had a paint reaction at soem point and so it looks like a stainless steel colour as against the blue tinge the rest of the car has???

« Last Edit: 29 August 2006, 10:22 by blgdave »

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2006, 10:23 »
There are a few minor surface rust spots on the car around the body kit etc...
The main rust area, only one actually is the undrside of the bonnect..

This is on the list when the car gets a full repaint.

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2006, 10:26 »
Engine now runs sweet as a nut, had all fuel parts and ignition replaced with new so will list this in the mechganical mods later. But for now it just looks a bit grimey...

After a good degrease and repaint of the rusty bits it will be like a new pin!

Offline blgdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2006, 10:28 »
As you can see the inner wings are mint. After a good clean up the old girl will sparkel again. I am used to much older cars so this is a breath of fresh air for me...

CheeRS