Author Topic: Mk6 price drop???  (Read 4464 times)

Running Man

Re: Mk6 price drop???
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2013, 18:44 »
Yeah thanks for all the replys. Test drove a mk5 gti then jumped straight into the mk6 gti, the mk6 is 10x the car. The mk5 is not worth 9/10 k when you can buy a mk6 for 14k. Think I might just get one, but looking at finance and its like 370 a month for 4 years, which isa fair bit. What's re the problems to look out for on a mk6 gti?

Just a word of advice, seriously ensure you get the 18'' Monza alloys.  Most mk 6 do have these but if not the standard non diamond cut 17'' are very weak looking and will effect the value when selling on  :wink:

Offline Adamp252

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 13 June 2013, 18:53 »
Alrite sound. What are the prices for tyres on 18s. Are they low pros?

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 13 June 2013, 18:58 »
Yeah thanks for all the replys. Test drove a mk5 gti then jumped straight into the mk6 gti, the mk6 is 10x the car. The mk5 is not worth 9/10 k when you can buy a mk6 for 14k. Think I might just get one, but looking at finance and its like 370 a month for 4 years, which isa fair bit. What's re the problems to look out for on a mk6 gti?

There are no real major problems as such with the MK6. As long as you buy from VW or JCT600 they will fix any problems you find in the first month.

Like for example, the off side fog light had condensation in it, so they replace it. The driver door seal was letting wind and rain sound in, they replace that.

The best thing to do when test driving your motor, Start the ignition and listen very carefully, listen for irregular RPMs or turnover noisess, then flip the hood and do the same.

To be honest mate, the MK6 is a great piece of kit and very well built. Me personally (after having both) would defo go for the manual, i found the DSG after 2 months so boring to drive and felt alienated from my MK5 GTI - all personal preference though.

Good luck, hope you find a peach...
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Rgdogg

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 13 June 2013, 20:41 »
Tyres are 225 40 r18 and between £120 and £130 for goodyear f1s
Gti, Candy White, 3door, DSG, Leather, Rear LEDs, Bluefin, Milltek, vwr intake, Focal speakers.

Offline pryda

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 13 June 2013, 21:19 »
listen out for the clutch making a squeaking noise when setting off from cold. seems it's a common fault with the friction plate on mk6 gti's. however I don't think it causes any mechanical failures, it just gets annoying. trust me.

2009 MK6 GTi, Candy White 3dr, Stage 1 Revo, Milltek cat back, H&R SuperSport, RNS510, OSRAM kit

Unphased - NorthWest German/VAG/Retro Meet
Every 3rd Thursday Of The Month
http://www.un-phased.co.uk/

Offline Adamp252

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 13 June 2013, 21:53 »
Yeah iv been looking for months now. Just trying to find the write one. Some write dodgy dealers out there. I had an Audi a3 1.9tdi on lease from Audi less than a year old with 14k on the clock. I had the steering rack, anti roll bar, wheel bearings, clutch x2, ignition barrel, oil leak, new fan, glovebox x3 all go on me,all within 18months, luckily the car was under warranty. So I'm really couscous on getting a car now,Hate Audis, got barred from there, lol

Offline Tainton

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 14 June 2013, 08:23 »
I've had mine for 2 months and love it, 2010 39k miles with rds510 + Bluetooth £14,995. Just checked auto trader and cheapest dealer gti is up for £13,300 with 40k cheaper if you go private.

Just a shame mine didn't come with led rears.  Best hatch imo on the market not the quickest but the best

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 14 June 2013, 14:19 »
I was in similar situation 9 months ago but changed from MK6 GTi to MK5 Ed30. Loved my Mk6 but it was a lease car so had to go back after 3 years was up. So I set myslef a budget of £13k but all i could find was high mileage low spec ones that had not been well looked after.

So I looked and drove a few MK5's and settled on a mint low mileage, one owner Mk5 Ed30. Added Sat Nav, Tarox brakes, Revo upgrade and a set of winter alloys and tyres set for the same money. I now have a car that I cannot think of ever changing, its practical, fun, very very fast and will easily do 40mpg. It should retain its value as well.

Having driven a Mk6 Gti for 3 years I can tell you that Mk5 handles better, has sharper steering and is well just more fun. Mk6 is smoother and quieter though. Its a more mature car.
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 14 June 2013, 14:56 »
I was in similar situation 9 months ago but changed from MK6 GTi to MK5 Ed30. Loved my Mk6 but it was a lease car so had to go back after 3 years was up. So I set myslef a budget of £13k but all i could find was high mileage low spec ones that had not been well looked after.

So I looked and drove a few MK5's and settled on a mint low mileage, one owner Mk5 Ed30. Added Sat Nav, Tarox brakes, Revo upgrade and a set of winter alloys and tyres set for the same money. I now have a car that I cannot think of ever changing, its practical, fun, very very fast and will easily do 40mpg. It should retain its value as well.

Having driven a Mk6 Gti for 3 years I can tell you that Mk5 handles better, has sharper steering and is well just more fun. Mk6 is smoother and quieter though. Its a more mature car.

Think that an un-fair statement, I also have had both. If you make the same mods as your make 5 and add a rear sway bar and /or the W.A.L.K kit the MK6 is near perfect and easy on par with MK5.

Both great cars.....
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 14 June 2013, 16:59 »

To a certain extent I agree with this.  Had 2 mk5's and, though I love the mk6, they were more fun to drive.     
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11