Author Topic: GT? Aye!  (Read 3604 times)

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Re: GT? Aye!
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2010, 07:54 »
I also think the red striped grill is just right: sporty, but restrained, like the tartan seats. If I hadn't liked the red, I'd have still bought the GTI and then just swapped the stripe for chrome, or black.

BTW, Kev, GT does indeed stand for gran turismo. It's Italian for 'going quite a long way in a car'.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2010, 08:06 »
I think you made the right choice with the GT. Once the points come off the licence you can remap it  :evil:

p.s. the mk3 doesnt even come close to comparision with the mk6  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2010, 10:06 »
p.s. the mk3 doesnt even come close to comparision with the mk6  :lipsrsealed:
It should have never wore the GTI badge until the 16V came out anyway and then they should have not stangled the 16V engines output like they did by the timing so not to upset the VR6 POS. :evil:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2010, 10:32 »
I think the GT is nice, and looks really good with the 18'' alloys but I'd have definately gone for a Diesel myself, either GT 140 or better still the GTD. Either car would be re-mapped though, for even more mid-range torque.
The 1.4TSI is at it's best in a light car like the Ibiza or Polo (GTI), but personally for me even in that chassis I'd have gone for the 2.0 Diesel (Ibiza FR).

Just my tuppence worth and I doubt anyone else would agree!  :smiley:

And as for the ''how do you drive them near their potential?'' question: Not very often and very carefully. That's where a re-map comes in, added mid range punch so you can drive the car quickly without being a nutter. Sounds like you've been trying to prove something to yourself in your emasculated people-carrier!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2010, 13:38 »
I also think the red striped grill is just right: sporty, but restrained, like the tartan seats. If I hadn't liked the red, I'd have still bought the GTI and then just swapped the stripe for chrome, or black.

BTW, Kev, GT does indeed stand for gran turismo. It's Italian for 'going quite a long way in a car'.

It's very conflicting after a browse for it, e.g. Gran Touring =  http://www.worldcarfans.com/109112023166/abt-golf-vi-gtd-tuning-program-announced
and Gran Turismo = http://www.motorlogy.com/2009-volkswagen-golf-gtd-launched-714/

You got something official from VW that states what it stands for ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2010, 13:48 »

It's very conflicting after a browse for it, e.g. Gran Touring =  http://www.worldcarfans.com/109112023166/abt-golf-vi-gtd-tuning-program-announced
and Gran Turismo = http://www.motorlogy.com/2009-volkswagen-golf-gtd-launched-714/

You like Kev??? I know you do mate, this could be your next car son?? :rolleyes:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2010, 19:59 »

You like Kev??? I know you do mate, this could be your next car son?? :rolleyes:

:laugh: :sick: I'm a petrol head mate, Diesel is for ladyboys.  :grin:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 01 March 2010, 09:17 »
^^^^ What a guy. Total quote machine.
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 01 March 2010, 11:05 »
 :grin:

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 01 March 2010, 13:53 »
It sounds like your a guy that is wanting to get a bit more spice back. The GTI certainly a quick and fun car. The GTD is a bit of a step towards the direction of economy and away from performance. The GT model remains the understated golf for those who want just a little bit more than a standard car.

The MK 3 (no experience with them though) will probs not touch most modern cars. Development has that effect.

As for enjoying the performance of the GTI to it's potential. Well I'm just back from Crail drag strip. That is one way. Another is to find some nice roads where there isn't much traffic and enjoying yourself. But remember, you don't have to going ridiculously fast to be enjoying the potential of the car. The car can go ridiculously fast, but it can also be fun around the speed limit - especially on a technical road.

But with 9 points I think I'd be more pleased that the GT is subtle rather than the limited performance increase it has.