Author Topic: Engine warmer?  (Read 9400 times)

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
Re: Engine warmer?
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2009, 11:15 »
Not sure how many people would have this on the forum considering most of you are living in the UK which generally has very mild winters, but in Norway it gets freaking cold sometimes.

Any suggestions and recommendations?

My local dealer has an £800 offer on a Defa Warm-up system that comes with a built in engine warmer, cabin warmer, battery charger and remote with a free installation offer.

I ordered it for my new car. The dealer quoted ~5000SEK which would be roughly £427. Mine does not include the battery charger and remote, just the block and cabin heater + everything that I need to plug it in over night. Overall, the price you got quoted sounds reasonable to me.

Yes, after reading a little it seems like a good deal for the entire package including the wireless control unit. I'm a little concerned about any new holes the installers will put in the car though especially for the interior heater and the mini-plug for the charger. I've been trying to find out how long if can run off the battery if disconnected from the 230V mains supply if can run at all on that. I've mailed my dealer with the questions and see what he says - hopefully he has one fitted I can look at.

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2009, 11:17 »
any links to these kits??  I would defo be interested :smiley:

This is the full package http://wup.defa.com/en/wup_applications_cars.html

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 04 November 2009, 11:27 »
How cold does it actually get with you guys, in winter mornings?  The coldest I've noticed here in the past couple of years was -10C.

Rolfe.

I'm just a little SW of Oslo so not far up North but I'm near the mountains so I've seen temperatures down to -30C here in the winter, but not often thankfully. It's not uncommon to get several weeks worth of -15 to -20 although an average of Dec, Jan and Feb is probably around -5C.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #13 on: 04 November 2009, 11:45 »
Is this something that should be seriously considered ? Or is it only for areas in countries that are totally baltic ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 November 2009, 12:26 »
Is this something that should be seriously considered ? Or is it only for areas in countries that are totally baltic ?

Well, it depends whether you like a cold car in the morning. :) Even in the UK it can be cold and icy enough that you have to scrap the windows; according to the blurb, besides comfort, those cold starts aren't good for the car or fuel economy.

You need easy access to a power socket though so those always parking on the kerb should forget about it.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 November 2009, 13:02 »
Is it doing damage to the engine when its cold ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 04 November 2009, 13:12 »
Not in our climate. As long as you let the engine warm up sufficiently before booting it.
Otherwise the engine warmer would be an option in this country.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 November 2009, 13:14 »
Not in our climate. As long as you let the engine warm up sufficiently before booting it.
Otherwise the engine warmer would be an option in this country.

Thats what I thought and thats what would always do anyway.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 04 November 2009, 13:28 »
I suppose its just nice to get into an already warmed car. Especially at sillyo'clock in the morning.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 04 November 2009, 13:39 »
This sounds quite attractive.  My car is normally garaged within touching distance of a power point, so it's definitely practical.

Do they work on a timer, or do you have to go out in the cold before breakfast to switch them on?  Did I see something about a remote?

Rolfe.