Author Topic: stone chips  (Read 3802 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
stone chips
« on: 30 August 2009, 12:49 »
I knew it was just a matter of time and I suppose 5 weeks wasn't too bad....first stone chip on the bonnet  :cry: doesn't seem to matter how careful you are and how big a gap you leave between the car in front.

the first one on a brand new car always hurts the most  :sick:

Offline GrantUK

• Not said much yet
Re: stone chips
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2009, 13:15 »
It's a gut-wrenching feeling  :cry: I've counted 3 on the bumper so far
:: mk6 GTI, 5dr, Reflex Silver, DSG, Monza II's, leather, RCD 510, Winter pack, Luxury pack ::

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2009, 16:11 »
This Auto Express test might be of interest to you. I can't say I've tried the winning product, but I've used other Mer stuff (leather cleaner & conditioner) and they are significantly better than many other brands I've tried.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/219819/paint_touchup_kit_test.html

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2009, 17:53 »
3000 miles and not a chip, but i have dinged a wheel and that really hurt!

Offline Gene Hunt.

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2009, 18:40 »
This is the trouble with water based paints,there very soft & do chip easily  :cry: :sad:.
Candy White ED35.

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2009, 20:27 »
Gossa did you do anything about your wheel dinging incident, eg like how bad is it?  As I mentioned in a previous post I curbed my front left alloy dodging a transit, but it is not too bad looking only I seem to know it's there.  Was just wondering what if anything you will do about yours.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2009, 08:24 »
Gossa did you do anything about your wheel dinging incident, eg like how bad is it?  As I mentioned in a previous post I curbed my front left alloy dodging a transit, but it is not too bad looking only I seem to know it's there.  Was just wondering what if anything you will do about yours.

It's not that bad but bad enough.  I'll get it refurbed but am looking around to see who will do the best job.  Looks like Lepsons are well regarded. It was exiting a car park, totally my fault but my heart sank......I did 13000 miles in the Scirocco with no dings at all....

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2009, 08:32 »

It's not that bad but bad enough.  I'll get it refurbed but am looking around to see who will do the best job.  Looks like Lepsons are well regarded. It was exiting a car park, totally my fault but my heart sank......I did 13000 miles in the Scirocco with no dings at all....

I had a similar accident with my 330d a couple of years back and decided - having no prior knowledge - to refurbish the damaged wheel myself. It cost me about £15 in parts (emery paper, paint, putty, etc.) and took me all day on and off to complete, but it looked perfect. Here's the thread (sorry for linking to another forum, but I'm only trying to be helpful) :) http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26217
« Last Edit: 31 August 2009, 08:36 by FroGTI »

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2009, 10:10 »
I've managed to get to 1100 miles without a single chip on the bodywork or ding on the alloys.
My mates do take the p*** a bit though when I park up. Someone usually comes out with the comment "taxi to the kerb" as they think I'm that far away. It isn't that far but it's definitely a safe distance as I couldn't bare to hear the crunching noise of a Monza Shadow on concrete!!!!

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2009, 12:46 »
cheers Frog but the diamond cut face on the Monzas needs a bit more attention than a normally painted wheel. good job though!