Author Topic: replacement leather seat cover  (Read 11068 times)

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: replacement leather seat cover
« Reply #30 on: 20 August 2009, 10:06 »
Thanks mate ;) :D

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #31 on: 20 August 2009, 10:12 »
I looked at the on on my MKIV and jeez!! What a palava!!!  there are so many clips and hooks it looks easier to just replace the whole seat  :undecided:

Yes, there are loads of little clips and bits.  But generally, the most 'difficult' bit is simply removing the seat base or backrest from the remainder of the seat, and then refitting it afterwards.  Removing the old and refitting the new cover, especially if its leather is very easy - it is just slightly fiddly, and a touch time consuming.  And if you have a particular shaped ar$e, you may have alreaded moulded your current seat to be comfy - and this doesn't just apply to 'team chunky'  :lipsrsealed:, even if you are petit, your butt can still mould the seat into a nice comfortable profile.  :nerd:

see i found removing the seat base the easiest part when i replaced the foam in my seat  :huh:  

Ahhhhh . . . that's because your 20th century Mk4 is not at well built as our 21st C Mk5s & 6s! <dons nomex suit>  :evil: :evil:

Getting the backrest off looked a right mission and i'm not paying over £200 for a new cover so will get it repaired locally  :smiley:

I agree they aint cheap, but being as the seat covers are just 'plug and play' - by doing it your way, your labour charges could end up at just as much!  :undecided:

Screwdriver and stanley knife is what i used in the end to butcher a 2nd hand seat as i wanted the fabric off it  :grin: :grin:

Ahhhh . . . man after my own heart.  All you need is a 14lb sledge hammer to complete the tool kit!  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #32 on: 20 August 2009, 10:18 »
Ahhhhh . . . that's because your 20th century Mk4 is not at well built as our 21st C Mk5s & 6s! <dons nomex suit>  :evil: :evil:

i reckon my MKIV has less rattles than the MKV's and MKVI's  :tongue:

I agree they aint cheap, but being as the seat covers are just 'plug and play' - by doing it your way, your labour charges could end up at just as much!  :undecided:

been quoted £50 for the repair to the side bolster as i'm supplying the fabric :afro:  though its on hold at the moment as the damage isn't too severe

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #33 on: 20 August 2009, 10:36 »

i reckon my MKIV has less rattles than the MKV's and MKVI's  :tongue:

'Score draw' ?  :grin:

been quoted £50 for the repair to the side bolster as i'm supplying the fabric :afro:  though its on hold at the moment as the damage isn't too severe

Not too bad then.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo