Author Topic: mk5 golf gt tdi body issues  (Read 8564 times)

Offline Easy_E

• Not said much yet
mk5 golf gt tdi body issues
« on: 04 June 2014, 20:35 »
When i bought the car i thought id put up with the body issues but i want to fix them now. Its a 3 door mk5 gt tdi which has had a cat D at some point and it must have had a front end smash. They have took off the standard bumper and put a gti bumper on, and by the looks of it bodged it to fook. I had to drop it the other day to replace the headlights which were badly weathered and i have noticed the bottom headlight mounter on the offside is missing and also the part they fix onto is damaged as well (does anyone know the name of this part, its made of plastic and the headlight mounts go on either side). They have bodged the bumper on with inch long screws, not using genuine mounts just bodged plastic to plastic its a right mess, the belly tray is missing also.

The main issue though what im getting to is that the wings on both sides catch on the doors, the driver one is worse but a small amount of paint is being removed from the friction, i havent took the wings off yet but how can u mount wings so badly? its as if they are too close to the doors their catching about half way up the wings... what are my options with this?

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
Re: mk5 golf gt tdi body issues
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2014, 11:13 »
my mk5 is a cat D also, The part you need is a Front panel, you can pick these up second hand or brand new, I would suggest brand new, as it wont have any cracks, genuine can be very expensive, so the other brands should be fine, just choose a reputable company ( I think euro car parts sell them for £100)

The gti bumpers are different, and do have their own front panels, if you're buying a new one, best to get a gti front panel as it'll have the correct mount holes for your gti bumper!

Make sure you car doesn't need any pulling or anything like mine did, best thing to do, get a new front panel, new headlights, stick to genuine oem headlights as they allow for adjustment in the mountings, I found this out the hard way with some depo headlights.

check the rad pack lines up nice along with a new belly pan of course as mine doesn't and it causes problems for my splitter.

I would personally trial fit myself, also remember the whole front panel can move up and down and that can make a huge difference to the way your bumper sits, I notice many gti conversions even show cars, the front bumper sits lower, and causes a gap between the bumper and the headlight on the bottom, looks horrible as stock gtis don't have this

hope any of this helps
MK6 GTi - Black - DSG - 18' Monza shadow - Luxury Pack - Convenience pack - Park assist - Xenons - RNS510 - Adaptive chassis control - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - Reverse camera - front/rear sensors --mods-- Evoms Intake - Eurojet/stasis Turboback Catless 3" exhaust

Offline Dipesh2031

• GTI forum regular
  • Options bae?
Re: mk5 golf gt tdi body issues
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2014, 11:17 »
Sorry I didn't read the last paragraph of your post, the car will defo need some pulling work, my golf the doors caught on the wings too, the wings aren't mounted badly, whats happened is, the car on collision has slightly compacted, because of the crumple zones engineered into the car, good thing about these though, is that you can have the car pulled, and measured up so it's back to normal, make sure you do get the sub frame dimensions checked too, as these bolts can stretch and cause a subframe knock later on down the road, I bought the ECS kit for mine from Awesome gti.

Don't pay stupid money for pulling, I was qouted £400 and some places were saying £150-200, make sure they have a proper jig and ask to see previous work to get an idea of skill.
MK6 GTi - Black - DSG - 18' Monza shadow - Luxury Pack - Convenience pack - Park assist - Xenons - RNS510 - Adaptive chassis control - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - Reverse camera - front/rear sensors --mods-- Evoms Intake - Eurojet/stasis Turboback Catless 3" exhaust